Running Multiple Characters

GiddyPeak

3 hours ago, DreadtechSavant said:

What's enjoyable to one won't be to another.

Agreed. You're never gonna please everyone.

3 hours ago, DreadtechSavant said:

However there are a number of good reasons to run more than one character particularly so you have at least one on both sides if nothing beyond that

BTW, I run lots of characters. 

I think most people do. I myself, am the odd man out on that. I only play one character.

I played the vanilla story line for some of the other classes (but not all), but just to experience the story. When that was finished, I stopped playing those characters.

I can see why alot of people would play multiple characters.

I just have a limited scope of interest. I generally play the same exact archetype in all role-playing games. Whatever is the most balls to the wall combat-centric class, that's what I'm gonna play. So for example:

DDO- Half-Orc Fighter.

STO - Klingon Warrior.

LOTRO - Dwarven Champion.

SWTOR - Carnage Marauder. :csw_vader:

I'm dreadfully predictable.

The notion of playing a Wizard or a healer is alien to my way of thinking heh.

But, I get it. Variety is the spice of life.

22 hours ago, Codename_Force said:

I really wonder how people suddenly find these ancient threads and reply to them. 

A old thread maybe, however that's does not mean it is still not relevant today. I much rather someone found a old thread and post in that, than continually start a new one on a old topic.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Agreed. You're never gonna please everyone.

I think most people do. I myself, am the odd man out on that. I only play one character.

I played the vanilla story line for some of the other classes (but not all), but just to experience the story. When that was finished, I stopped playing those characters.

I can see why alot of people would play multiple characters.

I just have a limited scope of interest. I generally play the same exact archetype in all role-playing games. Whatever is the most balls to the wall combat-centric class, that's what I'm gonna play. So for example:

DDO- Half-Orc Fighter.

STO - Klingon Warrior.

LOTRO - Dwarven Champion.

SWTOR - Carnage Marauder. :csw_vader:

I'm dreadfully predictable.

The notion of playing a Wizard or a healer is alien to my way of thinking heh.

But, I get it. Variety is the spice of life.

There is one specific technical benefit for running multiple classes & builds besides just more story content. And that’s PvP. By learning each class properly, you get to see exactly what their weaknesses & strengths are. I know this certainly improved my PvP skills, especially countering classes that I was having problems against on my mains.

Personally, I really, really hate playing an operative or powertech. I’ve never liked how they play. And I’m also not a fan of dot spread class, healers or tank builds either. But I have made an effort to learn each one (just in PvP) so I can see how they work. 

The only dot spread class I’ve come to like in swtor is the sniper engineering one. And I’ll never like tanking & I don’t have the patience for healing in swtor PvP. 

My favourite class builds to play are :

Jugg Rage

Mara Fury

Sorc Lightning 

Merc Arsenal 

Sniper Engineer/Marksman 

Even though I love the Melee Sith play style the most, I think the best vanilla story in the game is the Agent one. If you’ve not done it yet, you really should. It’s really well written. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

There is one specific technical benefit for running multiple classes & builds besides just more story content. And that’s PvP. By learning each class properly, you get to see exactly what their weaknesses & strengths are. I know this certainly improved my PvP skills, especially countering classes that I was having problems against on my mains.

Personally, I really, really hate playing an operative or powertech. I’ve never liked how they play. And I’m also not a fan of dot spread class, healers or tank builds either. But I have made an effort to learn each one (just in PvP) so I can see how they work. 

I can see how that could be helpful for PVP.

In my case, I didn't get into PVP at all until 4.0. Around 2.0 was when I really started to get into raiding seriously. Before that I was just learning. I got very heavy into progression raiding and spent most of my time in HM/NiM Progression groups. Knowing how other classes play for that doesn't do much for your performance, focusing on the one thing got me good results for raiding.

Getting into PVP, I realized they are two completely different beasts. Both require skill but in different ways, I'm sure you know what I mean. Which is why I decided to try some of the other class stories to get a feel for some of them. But I found if I didn't dedicate a large portion of time on them I'd never really get them down good and I loved playing Carnage so I didn't want to bench it for long periods of time. Could be I'm a slow learner though. Plus, I really just didn't enjoy them very much play style wise and it's hard to get into something you really don't find all that enjoyable. I also detest ranged. Lightning Sorc seems kinda neat though, although I've never tried it.

Additionally, like you, I never could really get into dot spreads. Feels kinda brain-dead play style to me heh

Rage Jugg I did kinda like and had some fun with, but, it's a similar to Carnage in it's focus,  So that's probably why. Both are melee burst and hard hitters.

I had to kinda just learn the other classes by fighting them and learning with trial and error and experience. Much slower I'm sure, and not as expansive in understanding.  I can't look at my enemies icon table and see them and realize in time what they mean and correspond to and have time to respond. I've got a terrible case of tunnelitus. =p

15 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I love the Melee Sith play style the most

Me too 😉

15 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I think the best vanilla story in the game is the Agent one. If you’ve not done it yet, you really should. It’s really well written. 

That's one of the ones I've never tried, I'm not real big into espionage, but If you say it's good I might give it a try sometime.

On 6/28/2023 at 6:25 AM, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

I only play one character.

I actually do that too! I just have one character I play and I do it in every MMORPG.

I also have started some other characters to experience the original storylines, but that often gets stuck for me at like lvl 20 or so, and I go back to my main character 😆

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kristallia said:

I actually do that too! I just have one character I play and I do it in every MMORPG.

I also have started some other characters to experience the original storylines, but that often gets stuck for me at like lvl 20 or so, and I go back to my main character 😆

Wow. I've never heard anyone else say they were the same way before.

I do the same in every MMORPG I've played before as well.

Kindred souls. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

That's one of the ones I've never tried, I'm not real big into espionage, but If you say it's good I might give it a try sometime.

Just about every one I come across, whose played all the vanilla stories, agrees the Agent story is the best. So you really should give it a try. I did mine using a MM sniper build. But now you could even choose to use a Bounty Hunter Merc/Powertech build if the operative/sniper play styles doesn’t interest you. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing the original class stories 2 or 3 times. It seems like each time is different depending on the Toon's being light side, dark side, male or female. Never ends.

The endgame content, past level 50, is all the same. So I'm only going to max out maybe 3-4 characters and all the rest will stay at level 50-60 or so, just having done class stories.

On 6/29/2023 at 7:11 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

Just about every one I come across, whose played all the vanilla stories, agrees the Agent story is the best. So you really should give it a try. I did mine using a MM sniper build. But now you could even choose to use a Bounty Hunter Merc/Powertech build if the operative/sniper play styles doesn’t interest you. 

I'm one of those people that think the Agent story is the best in the game.

Agent  >  Smuggler  >  BH >  (all the force user stories are about the same to me) > Trooper (dead last).

• Like 1

Also, in response to the VERY OLD OP, there are benefits to running one of each class in the game.

There are small stat bonuses for completing the story arcs of your original 5 companions.

A +10 here, a +10 there....they add up when you unlock all of them.

1 hour ago, Darev said:

Agent  >  Smuggler  >  BH >  (all the force user stories are about the same to me) > Trooper (dead last).

I agree, the trooper story is sub par compared to the rest. 

1 hour ago, Darev said:

And I'm one of those people who think that the Agent story is close to the worst, just in case anyone thought that assessments of story quality can be considered "universal".

2 hours ago, Darev said:

Also, in response to the VERY OLD OP, there are benefits to running one of each class in the game.

There are small stat bonuses for completing the story arcs of your original 5 companions.

A +10 here, a +10 there....they add up when you unlock all of them.

Those bonuses don't stack, you only need to finish one set to get the comp specific bonuses.

The four class buffs though means you should do at least 4 class stories at least through the second act to get the buffs.

That for stats only though.  Doing all 8 origin (aka class) stories is still fun.

27 minutes ago, LD_Little_Dragon said:

Those bonuses don't stack, you only need to finish one set to get the comp specific bonuses.

The four class buffs though means you should do at least 4 class stories at least through the second act to get the buffs.

That for stats only though.  Doing all 8 origin (aka class) stories is still fun.

I went back and looked at the descriptions, you are correct.    It's been a LONG time since I was unlocking those.

I run a lot of toons. But running them through the origin stories, it's really best to do one at a time the first time (after Chapter 3, it literally doesn't matter what class you are on, you are a doing a generic story at that point, a one-size-fits all, so there's nothing to keep track of storywise--don't get me wrong, there are some minor changes in terms of dialogue and of course if you are pub or imp, but really nothing that will be confusing since it spits out every class at the exact same place).  I definitely recommend running through as many of the origin stories (the first three chapters) as you can. They are all really well done and lots of fun to play through.

For key binds, I just use the same ones for them all since many of the class powers overlap/duplicate to some degree. So you have your favorite mount/s bound, stealth power [whatever its called in a given class] , your leap/charge into battle power, your 'can use while moving' power, your rocket boost, your 'get me out of here' power, your shove baddies off the precipice/bridge/platform power, and so on. Then you just have a few powers left over depending on what your doing (healing, tanking, dps), and these will necessarily change with a new class, but you'll have a lot less to remember in terms of switching between toons.  You can copy your keybinds so that they load for each new character, so that makes it much easier and less labor intensive. 😛

• Like 1

Lol, my old guild in Everquest, back in the days when I was playing it on a dial-up ISDN  connection, identified a condition we called CNCS - Create New Character Syndrome - which to this day has been rampant amongst many players.  Personally I like to experience the game from the view of all the character types.  In fact, having recently come back I am in the process of finishing the last two origin stories.  I find it disappointing but understandable that continuing to turn out 8 different plotlines beyond a certain point has proved unfeasable.

30 minutes ago, Tantala said:

Lol, my old guild in Everquest, back in the days when I was playing it on a dial-up ISDN  connection, identified a condition we called CNCS - Create New Character Syndrome - which to this day has been rampant amongst many players. 

On my old and still sometime game (COH), we call that altitis. I have it bad. 😛

On 7/12/2023 at 2:26 PM, Tantala said:

Is COH still a thing - I enjoyed that game (and COV) but I thought they had shut down

It was shut down for several years, but it's now (erm, kind of) open source (long story). There are several versions running, if you are interested in checking them out (I ran, sometimes still run, on Homecoming, but there are others out there).

• Like 1

we call that altitis. I have it bad

me too. 105 characters total on all 5 servers. Needless to say, some of them go unplayed on a weekly (monthly, yearly?) basis ever since conquest requirements doubled, and even before that....

Because I wanted to try out different species, different gender including all the different "romance-companion" alternatives, different combat specs, different alignment (dark/light).

• Like 1