Concerning the Veteran part

Darthalargus

So as we all know, in both the trailer and in the expansion description, your character becomes the Outlander who is a Veteran of the Great Galactic War.

However, if we look into the Journal of Master Gnost-Dural he speaks of the Great Galactic war as it happens BEFORE the Cold War, which is where every single one of our stories begin.

This has to be some sort of wronging in Bioware's own lore, or i am missing something, the only war your character can be a veteran of is the Galactic War (and yes I'm not making it up, it is identified as that in a developer update: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130205) , since that is what you go through after the treaty is broken.

So what is this? Has Bioware mixed up its own story and lore or am I not paying enough attention (which would be quite embarrising).

Please respond and what not.

Edited by Darthalargus

I'm guessing that history will just lob them together. It's still the same conflict after all. :p

Yeah, I think the idea is that the war before the Cold War, and the war after, are considered to essentially be the same ongoing conflict within the context of the setting. The phrase "Galactic War" is probably just a generic term for it, since it is a galaxy-wide war.

Plus, saying "I am a veteran of the Great Galactic War," sounds better than, "I am a veteran of the Galactic War," (too vague, which galactic war? And "great" in the name kinda makes it have a bit more weight) or "I am a veteran of the Second Great Galactic War," (too wordy, the "Second" part kinda makes it sound less important).

When your strong enough to kill hordes of nameless mobs... You can call your self what ever you want... Because all those weak npc peasants will be too scared to correct you...

"Veteran of the great galactic war" sounds much better then "employee of the month at used mount dealership"...

Edited by DNGDangerous

Sorry for the double post, but i just realized something...

We all lie a little on our resume... Imagine this for a second. 2 guys walk in for an interview for savior of the galaxy.

Applicant number 1:

Interviewer "so mr Outlander, it says here that your a veteran of the great war, could you please elaborate on that?"

Outlander 1 "well yah, look I know you might not have any files on me, due to this whole new threat destroying everything in its path, but take a look at this youtube video, see, thats me and my guild taking down the dread masters..."

Interviewer "But sir, your names are different?"

[Force Persuade] "yah well about that... You see, my server pop is really low you know, and well so I transfer here to this galaxy and my name was already taken- so yah, I had to change it you know"

+100 Dark Side Points

Interviewer "You had to change it- i know"

Outlander 1 "hey man, look, i was just approached by some hot jedi chick the other day offering me a job... But you know, I heard the dark side has cookies so I came here to weigh my options, but if you dont want me, its all good."

Interviewer "Hey wait, lets not jump to conclusions, we definatelly want you, when do you think you can start?"

Applicant number 2:

Interviewer "so mr no-name... It says here your applying for the job of savior of the galaxy, but you have no qualifications; prove to me you deserve the job over all the other more qualified applicants."

Outlander 2 "hey man, I dont want to lie, but i just came out of the cloning tube yesterday, but dont worry- Im pre-generated as a level 60. i may have never used any of my abilities or killed any creeps, but I am sure I am strong because they gave me a full set if green gear!"

+50 Light Side Points

Interviewer "Oh you started out as a level 60? Well thats good to know, hey look, We'll call you back sometime..."

So as we all know, in both the trailer and in the expansion description, your character becomes the Outlander who is a Veteran of the Great Galactic War.

However, if we look into the Journal of Master Gnost-Dural he speaks of the Great Galactic war as it happens BEFORE the Cold War, which is where every single one of our stories begin.

This has to be some sort of wronging in Bioware's own lore, or i am missing something, the only war your character can be a veteran of is the Galactic War (and yes I'm not making it up, it is identified as that in a developer update: http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130205) , since that is what you go through after the treaty is broken.

So what is this? Has Bioware mixed up its own story and lore or am I not paying enough attention (which would be quite embarrising).

Please respond and what not.

It's the same war,

think of it this way

They call it the The Hundred Years War even though it was technically multiple wars (4 i think) so the Great Galactic war (2 wars) is the same conflict

Edited by typenine

Yeah, I think the idea is that the war before the Cold War, and the war after, are considered to essentially be the same ongoing conflict within the context of the setting. The phrase "Galactic War" is probably just a generic term for it, since it is a galaxy-wide war.

Makes sense, World War I wasn't called World War I until 1942, so the Great Galactic War that predates SWTOR, probably is now broken up into 2 parts, pre-SWTOR and Act 3 until KOTFE.

After all, if we rename wars in the real world based on changing context, why not in a fiction world?

Edited by AshlaBoga