SWTOR for Mac

Goon_LavaBlast

I think that SWTOR should be compatible with mac. I am not a mac user. I am a widows user. But I have many friends that have mac and really want to play this game. I don't know if SWTOR is (now) compatible but if it is YAY. But for now I don't think it is. I feel bad for all the mac users that are left out of the fun and adventure that this game offers. And it would bring in more players, so the community and population gets more people to help the game last longer.

If you agree with me that SWTOR should be for mac. Post below. I see no problem with mac players joining in the fun this game has in store.

:rak_01::rak_03::hope_03::jawa_angel::jawa_smile::jawa_biggrin::jawa_cool:

For many years now Macs have been PCs. Just install Windows, and voila. If you want to play games, you really have to go Windows, otherwise you lose out on something like 93% of games.

• Mac: Hi, I am Mac
  • PC: And I am PC
  • Mac: Hiya PC, whatcha doing?
  • PC: Oh just playing some games.
  • Mac: Oooh, I love games, what games are you playing?
  • PC: ANY!!

Not a chance in hell there will be a native client for Mac. The amount of work to port it over would be astronomical

People have said this before in other games I.E. LOTRO, WoT for example and it has happened, even EA does have a great Mac client for origin, but whether they decide to make this game Mac compatable would remain to be seen. If they did make a Mac client. I would be rethinking my next PC purchase that's for sure.. :)

People have said this before in other games I.E. LOTRO, WoT for example and it has happened, even EA does have a great Mac client for origin, but whether they decide to make this game Mac compatable would remain to be seen. If they did make a Mac client. I would be rethinking my next PC purchase that's for sure.. :)

Andy why, if I may ask? Macs are inferior in pretty much every regard that I can think of. Windows 10 work perfectly even for BFUs, and software catalogue is so much better for PC.

Andy why, if I may ask? Macs are inferior in pretty much every regard that I can think of. Windows 10 work perfectly even for BFUs, and software catalogue is so much better for PC.

Preference really, I have a lot of stuff such as apps, music and movies wrapped into my iPhone, iPad. Also seeing as the only difference between Mac's and PC these days is the OS, the are pretty much built the same other then that. And I prefer there stability over the PC.. Dunno I just like them better, yes windows 10 is nice, but... :)

Preference really, I have a lot of stuff such as apps, music and movies wrapped into my iPhone, iPad. Also seeing as the only difference between Mac's and PC these days is the OS, the are pretty much built the same other then that. And I prefer there stability over the PC.. Dunno I just like them better, yes windows 10 is nice, but... :)

Exactly, same hardware but usually a lot higher price. Oh, and the more stable myth is just that. Windows is actually a decent bit more stable. That being said, most instability that people have these days is from improper maintenance. Especially keeping it clean. Hot computers are very grumpy.

Well, if it is your preferecne, then so be it. But I always find it highly amusing when a Apple user shows up with their tiny computer, but is dragging a whole bag of connector adapters... :D

Exactly, same hardware but usually a lot higher price. Oh, and the more stable myth is just that. Windows is actually a decent bit more stable. That being said, most instability that people have these days is from improper maintenance. Especially keeping it clean. Hot computers are very grumpy.

Yeah, but like I said its preference for me. I like Mac, most my devices are apple just not my PC, if they offered a Mac client more then likely I would switch. :)

Not very likely to happen.

• The HeroEngine never ended up with support for it (despite rumors it was being worked on, I don't believe Mac/Linux support ever came to fruition). So no changes they could even try porting over. And BioWare doesn't seem to have anyone working on the engine full time on their end.
  • If EA were to add Mac support to Frostbite, they could possibly write a client with it. But I don't see that happening in the near future.
  • They could license Unity or UE (both of which have Win/Mac/Linux support) and build a new client with it. How quick this would be would depend on how portable their code is (and assets are), and how much "middleware" is portable. I know FaceFX is easily integrated into those, but I don't know what other middleware they're using. It could be that something critical isn't. Either way, I can't really see them doing it.
  • They could wrap it in Cider. BioWare's done this with other games. Performance would likely be awful though, and would close off the option for major improvements to the HeroEngine (DX10/11 stuff as an example) because Cider has a tendency to choke on certain DX9 stuff as it is.
  • They could hire Aspyr to port it. They'd probably have to hire Aspyr to maintain it too and keep it in sync. Big undertaking though, and I can't see them shelling out the money.

Really, your friends will probably just have to stick with WoW, ESO, STO, LOTRO, EVE, DDO, etc. If they're really after a Star Wars fix, Aspyr recently ported KOTOR2 to Mac/Linux which can be grabbed on Steam if they haven't played it and don't mind an older game: ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/ ).

Edited by jdi_knght

That's been my experience as well, my notebook is a MacBook Pro. I would never have gotten it except that it was such a good deal for a refinished machine from work. It's only redeeming quality is that I could put Windows on it and pretend it's a pc.

Not very likely to happen.

• The HeroEngine never ended up with support for it (despite rumors it was being worked on, I don't believe Mac/Linux support ever came to fruition). So no changes they could even try porting over. And BioWare doesn't seem to have anyone working on the engine full time on their end.
  • If EA were to add Mac support to Frostbite, they could possibly write a client with it. But I don't see that happening in the near future.
  • They could license Unity or UE (both of which have Win/Mac/Linux support) and build a new client with it. How quick this would be would depend on how portable their code is (and assets are), and how much "middleware" is portable. I know FaceFX is easily integrated into those, but I don't know what other middleware they're using. It could be that something critical isn't. Either way, I can't really see them doing it.
  • They could wrap it in Cider. BioWare's done this with other games. Performance would likely be awful though, and would close off the option for major improvements to the HeroEngine (DX10/11 stuff as an example) because Cider has a tendency to choke on certain DX9 stuff as it is.
  • They could hire Aspyr to port it. They'd probably have to hire Aspyr to maintain it too and keep it in sync. Big undertaking though, and I can't see them shelling out the money.

Really, your friends will probably just have to stick with WoW, ESO, STO, LOTRO, EVE, DDO, etc. If they're really after a Star Wars fix, Aspyr recently ported KOTOR2 to Mac/Linux which can be grabbed on Steam if they haven't played it and don't mind an older game: ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/ ).

I think it is much easier to just run the game via Bootcamp or some other software that allows Windows application to run on Apples

• 4 months later...
I love my Mac. It's so easy to use and even prettier on the inside and out. I have bootcamp, I hate it. Viruses up the... you know. I could get protection for it, but I don't need that for a Mac. This wasn't supposed to be a Mac/Windows thread, but with the new movies coming out and the potential growth of new Mac users that hear about a sweet game they can play on their computers, might be in the developers best interest to share their sweet magic on the apple guys. I love my Mac btw, did I tell you? ha... Anyways, WoW did it and I felt like it really made them seem fancy. It could do that to SWTOR. Again, traction with the movies coming out would widen the fanbase of this game.

• 3 weeks later...

Mac haters, you are old-fashioned. Today nearly every games can be played on mac. Today every developers do a mac version for games. I play on mac since 3 years, and SWTOR is the ONLY game which force me to use bootcamp or parallels (I played KOTOR on mac, Power of the Force, I even found a Mac version for Dark Force!). But parallels is laggy and bootcamp sucks because we must reboot the mac to switch between mac and windows (and we can say it, I didn't buy a mac to run Windows on it!).

I just think that now SWTOR is not a starting game anymore. I play it since the start, and since the start I'm waiting for the mac version during undergo the bootcamp drawbacks, and I'm not the only one in this case.

I spend a lot of time and money in this amazing game, please EA/BioWare do a favor for a lot of lovely players.

I love my Mac. It's so easy to use and even prettier on the inside and out. I have bootcamp, I hate it. Viruses up the... you know. I could get protection for it, but I don't need that for a Mac. This wasn't supposed to be a Mac/Windows thread, but with the new movies coming out and the potential growth of new Mac users that hear about a sweet game they can play on their computers, might be in the developers best interest to share their sweet magic on the apple guys. I love my Mac btw, did I tell you? ha... Anyways, WoW did it and I felt like it really made them seem fancy. It could do that to SWTOR. Again, traction with the movies coming out would widen the fanbase of this game.

Computers don't just "get" viruses. And if you really believe you're safe because you're on a Mac, feel free to leave your front door wide open while you're away from home as well. I promise your home will be just fine.

What Mac would you buy, that has a good enough CPU, a good enough GPU, that doesn't cost stupid money, that can play SWTOR?

Just curious... because when I look at Apple's store, I can't find anything...

The Mac desktop market is very small, various estimates put it between 3-6% of the total desktop market. But the question is, what percentage of the SWTOR customer base owns only a Mac, and ISN'T willing to run Windows?

I suspect the number is quite small indeed.

WoW did it because WoW has broken 10 million subs multiple times. SWTOR likely has less than 500k subs.

Translation: It isn't going to happen.