The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Rule of two not really.

adormitul

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He became again when Palpatine learned he survived.

He didn't make him his apprentice though, in fact he told him that he and his brother weren't Sith. And at that time Dooku was his apprentice, not Vader.

Edited by TranYukon

Well I guess the reason there's always a third sith is to make sure there are always at least two sith if the Master (or even apprentice)dies.Its not like the apprentice can get find another sith out of the blue. Edited by NUTMANIAC

Sidious tells Yoda in ep. III that Darth Vader will become more powerful than either one of them. Meaning that at the time he expected Vader to surpass and kill him, and he was delighting in that. He even tempts Luke to kill him, believing whatever Luke decides, Sidious wins. It's also my understanding that he planned on being the final Sith Lord and never dying anyway.

Besides the Rule of Two is quite simple. "Always two. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice." That's it, and the emperor observed it.

You forgot when Yoda fought Sid, Vader hadn't been chopped up by Obi-wan yet. The "will become" is a conditional clause: he wasn't yet more powerful than either, and certainly not more powerful than Obi-wan then. The cyborg Vader was certainly much less powerful than he would've been in one piece, and would've probably managed a succession of Palpatine much earlier than when he did (that is, when he tried to lure Luke to the Dark Side on Bespin).

Whether the Canon Sidious (not the Legends one) really believed he should be the last Sith, the one Sith, the true Sith, and all others should be just his tools to witness and tap to a fraction of his power will never be determined. Sidious' adherence to the Rule of Two would not preclude him from having a potentially more powerful Force-user replace a former apprentice, he already did it twice before (Tyranus on Maul's place, and Vader on Tyranus'). If Luke would fall to the Dark Side on Endor, Palpy wouldn't die there, and the Sith would live on. Given time, Luke would become powerful enough to give Sid the boot and take his place, as the RoT mandated.

Anakin was certainly more powerful and better than Obi-Wan. It was the whole darkside thing that caused him problems as he wasn't focused.

Anakin wasn't "certainly more powerful and better" than Obi-wan. Not only was he careless and arrogant, but he fought toe-to-toe with Obi-wan for a very long time. He was, at best, evenly matched. If you wanna see a "more powerful and better" individual in a lightsaber duel, check back Sid's fight against four Jedi masters: he killed three in a whiff.

Not even theoretically. He had the potential to be, but if he really were, Obi-wan would be dead. He knew Anakin and his fighting style as well as Anakin knew his. They were evenly matched.

Well i think he was cus of the if x beats y and y beats a, then x is better than a, thing.

This means that at that moment he had the resourses to win, but didn't first cus of plot armor, second cus of what wolfninjajedi said.

Edited by Kaedusz

Not even theoretically. He had the potential to be, but if he really were, Obi-wan would be dead. He knew Anakin and his fighting style as well as Anakin knew his. They were evenly matched.

They were evenly matched because of that yes, and the fact Anakin wasn't in his right state of mind.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Anakin didn't know how to control and direct his hate like a Sith would. As soon as he fully gave in to the dark side he ended up fighting Obi Wan Kenobi. Also Anakin has issues bringing to bore his full hatred when he's fighting someone he feels conflicted about. That was the whole point of return of the Jedi. Luke dug deep and sensed the good in Vader. Obi Wan automatically considered him a lost cause and failed to notice that there was still some good in him.

They were NOT evenly matched... Anakin thought he was better at the time, but after retrospect, Vader acknowledged Obi-wan was stronger.

"When I left you, I was but a learner; now I am the master."

-Darth Vader

They were NOT evenly matched... Anakin thought he was better at the time, but after retrospect, Vader acknowledged Obi-wan was stronger.

"When I left you, I was but a learner; now I am the master."

-Darth Vader

Evenly matched would not result in Anakin losing his legs and and suffer life crippling burns. But how is this connected to the topic?

Evenly matched would not result in Anakin losing his legs and and suffer life crippling burns. But how is this connected to the topic?

You're serious aren't you?

How did Obi Wan fair against Dooku? How did Anakin fair against Dooku?

Seccond Anakin wasn't still a sith when the fight happened.

Third what do you think was in Anakins thoughs for atleast 50% of the time? Yeah thats right he was thinking of Padme even though not showing it.

Fourth he still wanted Obi Wan to be his ally. Yes that might apply to Obi Wan aswell.

Face it by the time of RotS Anakin had surpassed Obi Wan as a duelist. Even Obi Wan says it.

About the "Rule of Two" pretty sure Bane states "Two there should be; no more, no less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it." whole idea behind it is the apprentice to surpass the master and kill him then train apprentice of his own and on and on thus improoving the sith to infinity. Planing on living forever by Sidious aint following the idea of the RoT.

Edited by Valantines