Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

An Open Letter to the Devs from a Free Player, as Posted by a Subscriber

Jedi-at-heart

Being a subscriber, I know just how ridiculous some of the restrictions in this game can be. The EXP limit is kind of ridiculous and excessive, not even Daybreak Games does that with their MMOs (I'm all access to them, and I don't have any regrets).

However, if there is one thing I just can't get from a Subscription MMO anymore, it's time. Most subscribers to MMOs (from what I can infer) play these games for hours every day, and I'm just an on/off player to multiple different games. It takes serious dedication to make the most of a subscription model, dedication I just don't have. Heck, the last time I even loaded the game up was a week ago to play a Hard Mode Flashpoint at level 50.

Free players are people who 1) Don't have the money to pay for a sub or 2) just can't dedicate enough time to the game to sub, or somewhere in between. EA doesn't seem to grasp that problem, since, from what I can tell, only seems to draw from a small group of people who play the game constantly and accommodate for them rather than the majority who (practically) don't get a say to the problems at hand. Even worse? Non-subscribers can't use the majority of the forums (not even general discussion). And, yes, I've checked this, because I've done this. I've never seen an f2p MMO do this. Sub MMOs are excluded, since the sub is mandatory. Wait...

It most certainly does NOT require dedication to make the most of a subscription model. It is 15 bucks...that is 50 cents a day or so. Do you go to the movies? That's 15-20 bucks for 2 hours of entertainment. Go out and socialize? 5 bucks for a drink, 15-20 for food. I don't log in for days at a time, hell I've not logged in for months at a time...I am still subbed. The cost/entertainment value is just too good. If I break to play something like DA:I for a month it doesn't bother me one bit.

People get hung up on 15 bucks and fail to realize you spend more than that for pretty much all other forms of entertainment out there.

Nothing on either f2p breakdown says anything about beging level capped at 15.

Recap 1, SWTOR.COM

Recap 2, SWTOR Reddit

I am aware of this, as I had that very conversation with several people, yet the popup still happens. I tried it myself and saw it for myself.

So, unless you all have a reason for multiple people (up to 15 now that I know personally having seen the damn thing) are getting that popup upon the very first time they get into the game (yes you will need a clean install of the game, leave no files on your computer than install it as if it was never there to begin with, this requires hunting down all kinds of files that do not auto-delete when you un-install) than there is some missing information on the website, or there is some funky coding in their current fresh install folders. The customer service/help desk? Not all that helpful. One said "yes that is intended" the other said "that shouldn't be happening".

I couldn't make a better case than your stream of misinformation as to why these forums need more and better moderation.

The amusing this is, you are only making yourself look foolish. Chasing someone from post to post to discredit them rather than be constructive makes you look the fool.

As I have already said, I even contacted the support staff about this and gotten mixed reviews weeks ago. Also, yes...2 of those 15 people waited till 15 to sub, they were locked...the exp bar did not move and they could only get to fleet/capital/starter worlds.

This is fact.

You are working from assumptions that you know everything and couldn't possibly be wrong. Not the best place to ever speak from.

I am aware of this, as I had that very conversation with several people, yet the popup still happens. I tried it myself and saw it for myself.

So, unless you all have a reason for multiple people (up to 15 now that I know personally having seen the damn thing) are getting that popup upon the very first time they get into the game (yes you will need a clean install of the game, leave no files on your computer than install it as if it was never there to begin with, this requires hunting down all kinds of files that do not auto-delete when you un-install) than there is some missing information on the website, or there is some funky coding in their current fresh install folders. The customer service/help desk? Not all that helpful. One said "yes that is intended" the other said "that shouldn't be happening".

you forgot click your heals and spin around 3 times

As I have already said, I even contacted the support staff about this and gotten mixed reviews weeks ago. Also, yes...2 of those 15 people waited till 15 to sub, they were locked...the exp bar did not move and they could only get to fleet/capital/starter worlds.

This is fact.

Complete and utter crap.

Rolled an inquisitor on a f2p account a month ago - it is now lvl 50. No sub, no boosts. I have done this on 3 separate occasions over my time with SWTOR.

Fail. Keep trying.

Edited by DocCollo

Quote:

Dear SWTOR Developers,

I can understand the need to restrict parts of the MMORPG experience as the game is a Free to Play/Subscription model game. The game HAS to be viable for subscriptions. But at the same time, the game also has to be viable for Free players.

Stopped reading there as NO IT DOES NOT also have to be viable for F2P

IF you want the extras, SUBSCRIBE!

Free Players BRING NOTHING

Free Players ADD NOTHING

They use up resources and give nothing back to the community or franchise

This game ONLY needs to be viable for Subscribers

Frankly to be honest EA should go back to level 20 being max for F2P

and level 50 being max for Preferred

If you want to play the game with all the bells and whistles

SUBSCRIBE

As I said, I would block off all group content behind the payment barrier. This includes:

• the ability top join or form a group
  • joining guilds
  • flashpoints
  • PvP
  • Ops
  • Starfighter

To balance this, I would unlock basically all features that affect the single player game. This includes (but not limited to):

• quickslots
  • travel cooldowns
  • run/mount restrictions
  • crafting
  • gold cap
  • XP + reward reductions

... there are probably more but I have not been F2P for over 2 years so I can't remember everything that was there.

In short, the single-player class-story planet-story experience for F2P players should feel EXACTLY as if you have a subscription. The subscription is then for ALL group content. To answer the quoted question, it is wanting to access the group content that should motivate people to subscribe, not removing silly arbitrary restrictions.

I am curious as to exactly where you would draw the line with the "F2P and preferred players should have all the features for the SINGLE player game, and all the MULTIPLAYER features should be reserved for subscribers" proposal.

If you wish to restrict the F2P and preferred status to the SINGLE PLAYER experience, then that must also, IMO, include restricting the ability to interact (directly or indirectly) with other players in any way, including chat, trades, the ability to send mail to/receive mail from other players, etc. These are, after all MULTIPLAYER features which you would not likely find in a SINGLE PLAYER game. This would also include the GTN, since that is also a MULTIPLAYER feature (players selling to/buying from other players) which you would not likely find in a SINGLE PLAYER game.

As I said, I am curious to see what exactly where you would draw the line. Surprise me if you can, but I doubt you will.

Edited by Ratajack

If you wish to restrict the F2P and preferred status to the SINGLE PLAYER experience, then that must also, IMO, include restricting the ability to interact (directly or indirectly) with other players in any way, including chat, trades, the ability to send mail to/receive mail from other players, etc.

Ratajack, I cannot tell by the tone of your post if you are for or against this idea. Anyhow, sure why not, I would restrict all that stuff that you list as well, including the GTN. Want to experience that? SUBSCRIBE, as someone above posted.

Also, something I didn't mention before, I would do away with the "preferred" status. I find that a silly little hook that just underlines BW's pettiness. I was at a Cantina Tour in Cologne in 2012, where one of the devs* said about preferred something to the order of (quote is not exact) "Just give us 5 dollars ONCE, and your experience will be SO much better." Really BW? Are you after every single money grab that you can imagine?

-----------------------------------

* The "Dev" I mention was Damion Schubert, lead systems designer, who has said on Reddit:

"After ship, I did a lot of little systems, but my primary accomplishment was leading the design of the F2P transition."

See the full article HERE.

Ratajack, I cannot tell by the tone of your post if you are for or against this idea. Anyhow, sure why not, I would restrict all that stuff that you list as well, including the GTN. Want to experience that? SUBSCRIBE, as someone above posted.

Also, something I didn't mention before, I would do away with the "preferred" status. I find that a silly little hook that just underlines BW's pettiness. I was at a Cantina Tour in Cologne in 2012, where one of the devs* said about preferred something to the order of (quote is not exact) "Just give us 5 dollars ONCE, and your experience will be SO much better." Really BW? Are you after every single money grab that you can imagine?

-----------------------------------

* The "Dev" I mention was Damion Schubert, lead systems designer, who has said on Reddit:

"After ship, I did a lot of little systems, but my primary accomplishment was leading the design of the F2P transition."

See the full article HERE.

In point of fact, I am in favor of the current restrictions. If anything, I would make the difference between F2P and preferred greater, as well as the difference between preferred and subscriber.

As someone already pointed out, simply clicking on a referral link on these forums will grant you seven days of subscriber status, as well as several unlocks. The last time I checked, you did not need to be a subscriber to click on a referral link.

If a player really wants to play without one or more particular restrictions, they can already do so. It's called pay the very small sum of $15 to subscribe.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.