Optimization and Framerate Improvements.

Kaos_KidSWTOR

Hello Fellow SWTOR Players, Development Team, and Eric Musco!

I am here today to talk about something that seriously needs to be addressed. I will be using average Framerates from many games of many generas to explain why we need Framerate Improvements and general optimization done on the code level.

1. My Computer's Specifications.

Central Processing Unit: Intel Core i5-4460 clocked at 3.2 GHz

Graphical Processing Unit: EVGA Brand Nvidia GTX 560 1GB clocked at 850 MHz with an average temp of 46c

Memory Size: 8GB of DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H

Power Supply Wattage: 460 Watts

Storage Space: 1 TB

Monitor 1: Asus VG248QE 1920x1080 @ 144hz Refresh Rate

Monitor 2: Unknown Brand 1440x900 @ 75hz Refresh Rate

2.First/Third Person Shooter Games Average Framerate

For All games I compare with SWTOR's Framerate on my PC I will list the rough Settings, for ALL SWTOR Framerates it will be in Lowest possible settings. ALL Games were tested with Vsync ON. All SWTOR Framerates will be with Warzones as they are the most intensive on the hardware, and all other games will be in areas of high traffic or with many graphical effects.

Planetside 2 (Medium): 75 - 80

Team Fortress 2 (Maximum Settings): 144

Firefall (Medium): 60 - 70

Dirty Bomb (Medium): 60 - 65

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Phantoms (Maximum Settings): 144

SWTOR: 16 - 30

3.Action MMO Average Framerate

Vindictus (High): 50 - 60

Skyforge (Low/Medium): 80

Dragon Nest (Maximum): 144

4.SWTOR Like MMO Average Framerate (Low pool of numbers because I don't play many other SWTOR like MMO's)

Rift (Maximum Settings except Anti-Aliasing): 60 - 80

The Repopulation (Medium) (A Game that uses the same engine as SWTOR!): 50 - 60

5. Hardware Intensive Games Average Framerate

Rust (Medium): 45 - 50

Skyforge (Low/Medium): 80

6. Final Thoughts.

Are you seeing a trend here? Yea, SWTOR was the lowest framerate game I've had on the list. Meaning that it's really badly optimized. I've tried EVERYTHING in the book to get more framerate in Warzones and Operations, but nothing works. Bioware. I plead with you to please, take the next major update 3.4 to work on fixing the major bugs in the game, and work on making the game run faster. I would love to play the game more often, but if the game looks and feels like I am playing a PowerPoint Slideshow, I cannot wholeheartedly enjoy the game. Yes, my hardware is somewhat outdated, but I can still run newer games like Skyforge at good framerates, but yet I cannot run SWTOR above 30 in a Warzone, but my framerates on the fleet, and mostly anywhere out of combat I get 100+ on the lowest settings, and that's not right.

I have tried to be as thorough as possible in where I get my data from, but other people with the same hardware or similar may report different framerates and such, but hopefully this post will show you that the game needs work in the graphical department. I love all of the character animations in this game, but If i can't watch them in 60 frames per second, or even a constant 30, then I cannot fully enjoy the game because it is not fluid.

People enjoy fluid games more than choppy games for the most part. Please Bioware, I plead with you to work on optimizing the game better.

Thank you for reading this, and Good Hunting,

The Starbound Legacy from The Harbinger Server

• 2 weeks later...

FREAKINGGGGG

AGREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

there is not enough E's for me to support this, it actually stresses me out when this computer i bought back in 2011 (the year this game came out aye?) with much above the average specs of that era was not enough to keep nice FPS in games like this and diablo3... whilst it's not the computer hardware's fault...

It took me lots of googling and switching and trying to get some decent fps... most of them were just futile, as in 16 man ops the frames go to hell, even worst than warzones imo.

Also, OP, my tip for you is: completely disable shadows (yeh it sucks, but you will forget about it) and overclock your cpu a bit more. Also google that thing that makes the cpu render frames ahead of time (which can introduce mouse/board input delay but it's just a matter of tunning) Heard ssd for the game installation helps.

Edited by James_Mcturney

Without a K-series CPU, a higher overclock might be impossible. Same with a cheapish motherboard: mine won't let me set the voltages on my Phenom II higher than reference, and it fails Prime95 with even a half-step increase.

AGREE 110% and been asking for serious Client Tweaking since launch 3.6y ago. Sure some have been made and has improved quite a bit, but we need more. Was lazy hard to believe work by Founding EW Devs "not around anymore cause removed for no good reason" when chose to use Alpha Hero Engine that really not the best choice for so big Franchise like Star Wars Mmo. All that cash spent for voice acting and then choosing so terrible Core a.k.a game engine for the game :/

Hopefully good tweaks come soon :)

Kind regards: Long time subber & also occasionally supporting with buying 1050 - 2.4k cc's.

Edited by Dragen
Added important detail.

As much as I'd agree with the need to have something optimized somewhere for data throughput maybe, you are asking for improvements to be made to the graphics engine of something that was completely custom made and designed for looks. The amount of quality in the ground clutter for example and the detail in every piece of armour is far beyond most other MMO's I've played and those that equal SW:ToR all drop things to do with particle effects or Lighting to cater for it. (We call these games graphics optimised :p)

I don't dispute however that something needs to be adjusted as running an AMD 8350, Radeon R9-390 (8GB VRAM) and 16GB RAM still only gets on average about 45fps. 60 in instances though as they have done good work with the instance reworks.

The main thing that I see needs reworking if anything is the inside of buildings. For some reason even the R9 390 tanks inside some small buildings and especially in cut scenes when inside. Maybe adjusting the Lighting is what's needed or allowing the users to adjust it to fix things for their specific systems?

If you want to optimize your graphics for performance I'd suggest lowing the Shadow map resolution as this is a bit of a killer and reduce ground clutter settings as it is likely maxing your VRAM. They did put in most of the settings required to make the game run smoothly without it looking like *** so there should be something you can change to make it run smoothly.