The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shield tech in pvp at 60

Hi I have my PT at 55 not played him since before 3.0 and i used to run shield tech in tanking gear. I see loads of them running round so it got me into wanting to pvp with it again. I have a few questions i was wondering if anyone could help me with.

1. Is it still beneficial as it was to run is tanking gear or has it become all guys as dps tanks now?. I see some tanks do immense dmg and i get while that maybe fun its not really what i am looking for.

2. What utilities are the best for pvp?. I get how the 15% speed boost is useless.

3. How in the hell lol can tank spec do so much damage? is there something wrong with the spec which allows it to do so much damage?.

Hi I have my PT at 55 not played him since before 3.0 and i used to run shield tech in tanking gear. I see loads of them running round so it got me into wanting to pvp with it again. I have a few questions i was wondering if anyone could help me with.

1. Is it still beneficial as it was to run is tanking gear or has it become all guys as dps tanks now?. I see some tanks do immense dmg and i get while that maybe fun its not really what i am looking for.

2. What utilities are the best for pvp?. I get how the 15% speed boost is useless.

3. How in the hell lol can tank spec do so much damage? is there something wrong with the spec which allows it to do so much damage?.

Tanking gear is very much a thing. The DPS tanks are usually people that are regstarring, you still need the tank gear to hold up to major damage.

Utilities are pretty wide open. You'll want super Hydrolic overrides naturally, and for tanks it's generally best to take anything that reduces the CD on your stunbreak or gives you a second one. Other than that it goes by preference.

Tanking gear is very much a thing. The DPS tanks are usually people that are regstarring, you still need the tank gear to hold up to major damage.

Utilities are pretty wide open. You'll want super Hydrolic overrides naturally, and for tanks it's generally best to take anything that reduces the CD on your stunbreak or gives you a second one. Other than that it goes by preference.

thanks what do you suggest for relics? There is a choice of 3, reactive warding, shield amplification and fortunate redoubt.

thanks what do you suggest for relics? There is a choice of 3, reactive warding, shield amplification and fortunate redoubt.

Shield Amp and Reactive Warding.

Reactive Warding you take because it's guaranteed no-RNG works-on-all-damage-types mitigation. Shield Amp because it increases the effectiveness of shielding attacks which in PvP is significant since you can shield a much larger amount of attacks than you can defend.

1. Regs: Tank bonus with dps gear. Solo: Tank bonus with 60% dps gear. T Rwz: Full tank gear

3. Yes there is. Firestorm is an average 8k in 1.5 s even with tank gear. The spec has too strong flat DR so can be unstoppable during guarding. 3.0 ill conceived changes.

Edited by Aetideus

3. Yes there is. Firestorm is an average 8k in 1.5 s even with tank gear. The spec has too strong flat DR so can be unstoppable during guarding. 3.0 ill conceived changes.

Oh please, Shieldtech has always had the strongest flat DR of any of the tanks, yet Shieldtech was the worst of the three prior to 3.0.

Oh please, Shieldtech has always had the strongest flat DR of any of the tanks, yet Shieldtech was the worst of the three prior to 3.0.

Wonder why? 25% defense chance on Battle focus is actually +25% DR to the best DR spec. And 19 sec Shield and 40% Kolto Ove? :) Omg. Class balance is arbitrary

Edited by Aetideus

Wonder why? 25% defense chance on Battle focus is actually +25% DR to the best DR spec. And 19 sec Shield and 40% Kolto Ove? :) Omg. Class balance is arbitrary

You do realize that the reason Shieldtech is so popular now in PvP is because of it's DPS and mobility. If it was about pure survivability every team would still be using juggernaut tanks in PvP.

1. Regs: Tank bonus with dps gear. Solo: Tank bonus with 60% dps gear. T Rwz: Full tank gear

Intriguing this tank bonus with 60% dps gear?. i assume its the set bonus which is the tank set everyone else including implants, earpiece and relics are dps gear?.

Shield techs also have the easiest trauma spread and the overall biggest buff they received was having shielding and adsorb working on yellow damage because they are the shield and absorb tanks not to mention the insanity that is explosive fuel with its all around 40% def chance (tech and force) for 15 seconds. Class in general also has a aoe ranged taunt which is underrated imo and they have the lowest cd on taunt with rocket punch resetting.

Shield techs also have the easiest trauma spread and the overall biggest buff they received was having shielding and adsorb working on yellow damage because they are the shield and absorb tanks not to mention the insanity that is explosive fuel with its all around 40% def chance (tech and force) for 15 seconds. Class in general also has a aoe ranged taunt which is underrated imo and they have the lowest cd on taunt with rocket punch resetting.

Shielding working on tech and force attacks happened back when 2.0 dropped. They where still the poor-mans Jugg tank for the entire 2.x cycle.

Explosive Fuel becoming a DcD was a buff, but it's worth noting that other tanks got buffed defensively themselves.

Vanguard's Ranged taunt is actually much weaker than the two melee taunts because it's effect radius is so limited. Also Vanguard Tanks have the exact same CD on taunts as the other two tanks. Rocket Punch doesn't reset taunts.

Shielding working on tech and force attacks happened back when 2.0 dropped. They where still the poor-mans Jugg tank for the entire 2.x cycle.

Explosive Fuel becoming a DcD was a buff, but it's worth noting that other tanks got buffed defensively themselves.

Vanguard's Ranged taunt is actually much weaker than the two melee taunts because it's effect radius is so limited. Also Vanguard Tanks have the exact same CD on taunts as the other two tanks. Rocket Punch doesn't reset taunts.

No they really weren't people simply didn't catch on.

What noteable def buff did jugg tanks get Ik assassins got 30% absorb on recklness as a talent.

It's a ranged aoe taunt and its not smaller

Also read your 6p set bonus with rocket punch restting from shield damage taken a talent somewhere in the tree u can lower the cd on single target taunt faster than the other tanks because rocket punch is the move that lowers the cd by 2 seconds.

You do realize that the reason Shieldtech is so popular now in PvP is because of it's DPS and mobility. If it was about pure survivability every team would still be using juggernaut tanks in PvP.

More survivability more damage with 3.0 abilities.

Edited by Aetideus

Intriguing this tank bonus with 60% dps gear?. i assume its the set bonus which is the tank set everyone else including implants, earpiece and relics are dps gear?.

It is what I play. Having full dps in Regs can do numbers, but the OP of the 3.0 spec is while guarding.

PvP needs high endurance for tanks. -Bx modes and power or mixture of power and endurance augments may offer that.

There are several ways to tweak it, crit and shield including. Be notified though that against a good team (q-sync) in Yolo a bit of luck may be required.

Edited by Aetideus

• 1 month later...
So this information is great as there is not a bunch of info out there for PT tanks in PvP that isn't up to date or just nonsense. I am wandering about the utilities to put points into and the type of augs that are best suited for PT tanks (going full tank gearing). I have seen people say go full END but others are saying AIM for the higher dmg output to help while you are tanking. Any insights?

So this information is great as there is not a bunch of info out there for PT tanks in PvP that isn't up to date or just nonsense. I am wandering about the utilities to put points into and the type of augs that are best suited for PT tanks (going full tank gearing). I have seen people say go full END but others are saying AIM for the higher dmg output to help while you are tanking. Any insights?

There are several threads BUT THE FORUM MODS DOT NOT STEAKY one for reference on pvp tanking :(

Enhancements: Power - surge on full dps gear or high shield/endurance on mitigation.

Augs: If high endurance mods are used go power and vice versa.

Utilities: Suppressive, Iron, Engulfing, Bracer, Torque, Shield Cannon, Overdrive my choice.

Again, that is for a generic setup. Different gameplays require tweaking (regs, yolo, tra, offensive, defensive)

Edited by Aetideus