So exactly how is Thul pronounced?

Shayddow

I've been doing the Alderaan storyline with an alt character as of late <sith warrior>, and I noticed that the voice actors pronounce Thul 2 different ways:

1. rhymes with "dull"

2. rhymes with "rule"

so.... which is correct?

I've been doing the Alderaan storyline with an alt character as of late <sith warrior>, and I noticed that the voice actors pronounce Thul 2 different ways:

1. rhymes with "dull"

2. rhymes with "rule"

so.... which is correct?

It's a big problem with 1-50 TOR. Not all voice acting is recorded at the same time, and whoever wrote the original stories didn't think to offer pronunciation guides for names and such. It's mostly a problem between Republic and Imperial NPC's because UK dialectical pronunciation vs. US ends up happening. You could explain that through the same mechanism (dialect) in-universe, without breaking the fourth wall so it's not really a big problem.

The most egregious offender is one class quest, I can't remember whether it's Inquisitor, Trooper, or Consular (but it is definitely one of those three), where in the same conversation cutscene two characters pronounce the same name differently. Oops.

English (note that I am Canadian and can't exactly speak for the UK) pronunciation should rhyme Thul with rule, because although it doesn't have the usual terminal e to denote a long a/o/u, it also doesn't have the duplicated consonant which almost always signifies a preceding short a/o/u.

Anyway, best bet? "Canon" pronunciation is whatever your character uses. :p

Edited by Diviciacus

In a quest in the Dark Temple, the very same character says "dah-ta", then "day-ta" when pronouncing "data".

For a while in the Imp. Agent story, Cipher 9 is codenamed "Legate", and the female VA says "leg-ah-tay" for a few convos, then finally settles on "leg-it".

They really ought to have a proof-hearer for the recordings - kinda like a proof-reader.

Sk-co-sh-hha. at least thats how Zash says it and how i say it.

There is one time where she randomly pronounces it SKOT-TI-AH. Perhaps that was the first time she said it in recording. And there are several other characters that seem to consistently make that same type of mistake.

Edited by OldVengeance

Anyway, best bet? "Canon" pronunciation is whatever your character uses. :p

SWTOR canon actually features dialects, expecially between republic and empire. For example trooper companion Elara Dorne opens up during companion missions about getting a lot of flak for her imperial accent. It is also a tradition for this reason to have Americans voice republic characters and British voice imperials.

So for two characters to pronounce the same name differently isn't all that earth-shattering I think.

Edited by Karkais

The most egregious offender is one class quest, I can't remember whether it's Inquisitor, Trooper, or Consular (but it is definitely one of those three), where in the same conversation cutscene two characters pronounce the same name differently. Oops.

I'm guessing Trooper. Most characters say Tavus' name as "tay-vus" but FemTrooper says "tah-vus".

For a while in the Imp. Agent story, Cipher 9 is codenamed "Legate", and the female VA says "leg-ah-tay" for a few convos, then finally settles on "leg-it".

They really ought to have a proof-hearer for the recordings - kinda like a proof-reader.

The male Agent does this as well. (Chapter 2 spoilers, just in case.)

They both say "leg-ah-tay" when they go to Hoth and are talking to Koth on their ship. Some people see it as an act of rebellion for using the mind control because seriously, what are the odds that both VAs mispronounce the name at the same time?

Yes, they need some kind of quality assurance with voice acting, especially where made up names/terms are concerned. I think the voice director is suppose to do that, but much like editors, they can't catch everything.

1. rhymes with "dull"

2. rhymes with "rule"

so.... which is correct?

I think it might just be a toe-may-toe toe-mah-toe situation where both are okay.

Don't they call it Thul rhymes with Dull in game?

Various voice actors in the game use different pronunciations. Which is why we can't be sure.

I prefer "Thool," myself. "Thull" sounds too much like a sound effect.

Ok, here's another weird word for us to ponder:

shaman.

(Shay)man or (Shaw)man?

Note: i left the endings unaltered, since they're pretty darn close in pronunciation.

Both ways are correct at least somewhere in the world - which do you prefer?

I prefer (shaw)man.

Edited by TikkyLightmaker

Ok, here's another weird word for us to ponder:

shaman.

(Shay)man or (Shaw)man?

Note: i left the endings unaltered, since they're pretty darn close in pronunciation.

Both ways are correct at least somewhere in the world - which do you prefer?

I prefer (shaw)man.

Fortunately, this is a case where one pronunciation is correct and the other is wrong (even if it is infuriatingly common).

It is "shaw-man," and as proof I provide you with the wiktionary article, which gives etymological information. And whose etymological information clearly shows a lot of language jumps, none of which have that American English-style long a. (The AY sound, which is really what a long E sounds like!).

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shaman

Note that "received pronunciation" means how it is pronounced in the source language, while "general American" is how it is mostly pronounced in the US.

Don't they call it Thul rhymes with Dull in game?

Pretty sure I've heard it both ways. I'm not fussy on the Thool pronunciation tbh, and yet I've fallen into doing just that lol.

As for the 'shayman'/'shawmen' debate, I'd have to throw in with the 'shawmen' crowd.

I pronounce it "Thool" like "Stool" but without the s and putting an h after the t. That's the only way (that I recall) it being pronounced.

But it's probably both, just depends on the character and their accent.

I pronounce Shaman Shawman.

Edited by JurassicKing

Fortunately, this is a case where one pronunciation is correct and the other is wrong (even if it is infuriatingly common).

It is "shaw-man," and as proof I provide you with the wiktionary article, which gives etymological information. And whose etymological information clearly shows a lot of language jumps, none of which have that American English-style long a. (The AY sound, which is really what a long E sounds like!).

Note that "received pronunciation" means how it is pronounced in the source language, while "general American" is how it is mostly pronounced in the US.

Huh. And here I thought I was pronouncing it wrong the entire time and that "SHAY-man" was correct.

Honestly, as an American, I've always pronounced it shaw-man, and have never heard anyone (in real life) pronounce it shay-man. Is it regional? I'm a west-coaster, so if it's like, a southern thing, then that'd be why I've never heard it. (Admittedly it's not a word that pops up much in casual conversation.)

On topic, I've always pronounced it Th-ool.

• 4 weeks later...
How is "The" pronounced?

For some it's "thuh"

For others "thee"

And for others (like me) it depends on context.

Yeah but Thul is a name and the correct pronunciation should always the only pronunciation. If a person's name is Smith, you shouldn't switch pronunciation to Smi-th just because the context is that they just shot someone in the face or just became the best student in your high school physics class.