Anyone here play on Shadowlands?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Culture shock?

Bastion must be one hell of a server, Made a toon on shadowlands.

its not that different from POT5...before it was a walking corpse that is

Bastion is a lot like a boiled down Harby. Shadowlands is more like a ramped up POT5

Switching between these types of sever is indeed a culture shock. That isn't a bad thing. I prefer the harby/bastion player mindset, others prefer the shadowlands/pot5 mindset. Neither is better than the other.

I play pubside on Shadowlands sometimes Veloren, sometimes Imp side but not as much since usually the imps need less help, at least from what I've seen.

Bastion is a lot like a boiled down Harby. Shadowlands is more like a ramped up POT5

Switching between these types of sever is indeed a culture shock. That isn't a bad thing. I prefer the harby/bastion player mindset, others prefer the shadowlands/pot5 mindset. Neither is better than the other.

I'm curious what this means? What are these mindsets you speak of?

Yay! Familiar face....err name

BTW do you know Reghas? I got him on this skype chat I mentioned a while back.

I was telling other people that you were the best scout pilot on Pot5 (in my opinion, you gave me more trouble then any other scout did) and he .......ehhh to quote the man

[7:01:25 PM] Everytime Yallia plays

[7:01:29 PM] Reghas: I **** on him

[7:01:33 PM] Reghas: All the time

[7:01:34 PM] Reghas: ALL THE TIME

[7:01:38 PM] Reghas: He's MY *****.

He also plays on Shadowlands, Do I smell Epic scout v scout fight on the horizon??

Yay! Familiar face....err name

BTW do you know Reghas? I got him on this skype chat I mentioned a while back.

I was telling other people that you were the best scout pilot on Pot5 (in my opinion, you gave me more trouble then any other scout did) and he .......ehhh to quote the man

[7:01:25 PM] Everytime Yallia plays

[7:01:29 PM] Reghas: I **** on him

[7:01:33 PM] Reghas: All the time

[7:01:34 PM] Reghas: ALL THE TIME

[7:01:38 PM] Reghas: He's MY *****.

He also plays on Shadowlands, Do I smell Epic scout v scout fight on the horizon??

Now hold up, hold up.

I'm gonna let you finish, but Reghas is the best Scout pilot in the world today. Anyone who says different doesn't know scout piloting!

*drops mic*

I play on Shadowlands, both factions, and whenever I do a new alt I play GSF as an xp and credit supplement, plus it makes me concentrate harder with low req ships. I have done 2 new alts since 12x xp started, the second one I'm exclusively flying Blackbolt, which really makes me work to get any kills.

Can you elaborate on that, for those of us that don't play on those other servers? I mainly play on Shadowlands (Lai'tish/Ki'eln, among others) and sometimes TEH, and very rarely on the Bastion because my connection there isn't that great.

I was on Shadowlands as my main server. Transferred my main GSF toon off to Harb with the cheap transfers. Main was Celchu, pub side. I don't play as much over there now but if you did see me it would likely be under Hettart, imp side

I play on The Shadowlands occasionally, although not as often as of late.

Can you elaborate on that, for those of us that don't play on those other servers? I mainly play on Shadowlands (Lai'tish/Ki'eln, among others) and sometimes TEH, and very rarely on the Bastion because my connection there isn't that great.

I believe the "cultural differences" that Kiko alludes to refer to the attitudes and general competency of the playerbase across servers. Some tend to foster growth and development within their ranks, and in turn the general competency and willingness to learn and grow changes the GSF landscape over time, sometimes unpredictably. Other servers maintain an "us versus them" mindset that allows for real challenges, yet also runs the risk of high turnover, brain drain, and eventual burnout of the active GSF players on the server. Still other servers tend to foster a vocal and active community environment, which can be positive or negative depending on the happenings of the day.

Endless variations of community involvement, player skill, and ship builds exist across the servers, which can sometimes even foster the development of a "mini meta", where players emulate their role models on their server. Regardless of how we all feel about the lack of cross server ques, one has to admit that the system we have has allowed for some interesting community dynamics to form.

Couldn't get on the forums all day, but I wanted to give a shout-out to everyone who participated in the impromptu super serious night yesterday. Basically it was an 8-man Xi'ao-led premade impside (or so I was told), versus a bunch of random guys pubside: despon, tune, yallia, vexxial, siraka...more I think, I can't remember (and I don't know everyone's alts) so don't feel slighted if I missed you.

I think we took 3 out of 4, or something like that, before my PC caught a bad case of the DCs and I had to bail. But those were some of the most entertaining games I've played in a while, even in my largely stock ships. Thanks to all involved. Let's do it again sometime.

Couldn't get on the forums all day, but I wanted to give a shout-out to everyone who participated in the impromptu super serious night yesterday. Basically it was an 8-man Xi'ao-led premade impside (or so I was told), versus a bunch of random guys pubside: despon, tune, yallia, vexxial, siraka...more I think, I can't remember (and I don't know everyone's alts) so don't feel slighted if I missed you.

I think we took 3 out of 4, or something like that, before my PC caught a bad case of the DCs and I had to bail. But those were some of the most entertaining games I've played in a while, even in my largely stock ships. Thanks to all involved. Let's do it again sometime.

It was a lot of fun last. I agree I haven't played a lot of truly competitive games recently. Time to step up the game. I normally run Mintas pubside and Mintrix impside if you ever need a wingman.

Those were some serious matches. We had 4 and swapped pub side for a match, then figured we needed to go back when a few decent pubs showed up. Then like 7 of you showed from everywhere up and I was scrambling to get some people. Pretty ad hoc on our side, but hard fought stuff all round.

Edited by Fractalsponge

A different player base with a different vibe and different culture. It's hard to explain, elaborate, or use a proper analogue. The culture of the server itself affects the GSF culture on any given server. Across all games and game modes, sever culture penetrates.

For example

Iin PvP servers, you tend to have the "elite" everything PvP. Players with raw skill, who depend upon brute force and their skill rather than teamwork or tactics. Yet on PvE and "RP" servers you tend to more have "elite" teams that tend to make battles one-sided. Then there is also the difference between east and west coast culture and player anxiety, style, and economy. These also all bleed through to the culture of any sub-sect of any game. Then, of course, there is the matter of population which changes server culture even further.

This statement is of course generalized across all MMO's, not specific to SWTOR or GSF, and just an attempt to elaborate.

As for exactly what I mean, it's simple. I'm from Bastion which is a very low population west coast PvP server. Shadowlands is a standard population east coast PvE server. For clear reasons, these two have very different pilot cultures outside of their shared server-hopping pilots. To me, Shadowlands skies feel "Darker." It's too much of a change in culture for me to be comfortable with, as I have a very odd style. That doesn't make Shadowlands any better or any worse as a server, just that it simply isn't a place I personally like to fly. It's a "culture shock" for me and some other pilots as well.

I hope that clears things up, rather than being even more confusing.

Those were some serious matches. We had 4 and swapped pub side for a match, then figured we needed to go back when a few decent pubs showed up. Then like 7 of you showed from everywhere up and I was scrambling to get some people. Pretty ad hoc on our side, but hard fought stuff all round.

I think they were pretty fair fights. You guys had 2 servers hoppers of your own in Gaa'ra (TEH) and Veloren (PoT5). I'm not sure how much requisition they had, but Tobias and Tune on our side were flying nearly completely stock. Not sure about Yallia or Despon, but I doubt they are mastered.

Xi'ao, Mintrix, Linquery, Nixeri, and (eventually) Toddy is a really strong team. Those games felt like Bastion Super Serious calibre of gaming, good times.

Edited by RickDagles

I think they were pretty fair fights. You guys had 2 servers hoppers of your own in Gaa'ra (TEH) and Veloren (PoT5). I'm not sure how much requisition they had, but Tobias and Tune on our side were flying nearly completely stock. Not sure about Yallia or Despon, but I doubt they are mastered.

Xi'ao, Mintrix, Linquery, Nixeri, and (eventually) Toddy is a really strong team. Those games felt like Bastion Super Serious calibre of gaming, good times.

Not just me, Fluffhead, Barro and Reghas came from Pot5 too. Trying to get Eliteo to follow.

Only my Mangler, legion and Rycer are mastered. the rest of my ships are like halfway.

Really liking the Quell (PROTORP YOU GOOD!) So I have been trying to work on that. But yeah those were pretty fair fights for the most part, MUCH more of a challenge then back on POT5 where matches were decided by Ace count alone.

Edited by DreadzKaiser