The ONLY reason why the game has sold over a million copies

Veneric

Players are hungry for something new and different from WoW in the MMORPG genre. For the last 7 years, if you wanted a good MMORPG experience, you had to play WoW. Naturally, people get bored of playing the same game for years on and they want something fresh and they seem to think SWTOR is it. Many games before SWTOR also had high opening numbers (AoC, WAR, etc) but always later diminished after the free month was up. It's Bioware's job to hold onto the first one million and if they fail then this game will become just as obscure as WAR, AoC, have.

Players are hungry for something new and different from WoW in the MMORPG genre. For the last 7 years, if you wanted a good MMORPG experience, you had to play WoW. Naturally, people get bored of playing the same game for years on and they want something fresh and they seem to think SWTOR is it. Many games before SWTOR also had high opening numbers (AoC, WAR, etc) but always later diminished after the free month was up. It's Bioware's job to hold onto the first one million and if they fail then this game will become just as obscure as WAR, AoC, have.

Actually the biggest reason why it did is because of the Star Wars name. There's more star wars fans playing the game than actual mmo players.

Nah, the past 7 years I've been playing Shadowbane/DAOC/EVE/LOTRO for great MMO's, WoW was for the first 6 months and half that time the servers were down for maintenance LMAO

Probably because it has a friggin' huge KOTOR and Mass Effect following that likes and trusts what Bioware does. WoW had the same foundation with Warcraft & Diablo players. SWTOR isn't going away because it's loyal customer base is too large. Yay! Edited by GalacticKegger

it has four reasons :

1) it's Star Wars. so it helps to gain a fanbase

2) it's BioWare, already massive established fanbase.

3) It's a new MMO that wants to try a new formula, it attract curious players who really wants something new (Look at for 4)).

4) WoW puns are just painful : WotLK has more Ice Puns than Batman and Robin... peeps get sick of it. and the next expansion pack sounds ridiculous... Kung Fu Panda.. really...

BioWare already paid with all this good stuff an insane amount of the rumoured development cost (200M$). this game will make a really good profit.

heh. I played WoW becasue I was a warcraft fan, ever since orcs and humans. it was the first MMO I played for any length of time, but it certainly wasn't the last. EQ sadly didn't impress me, but you know, different strokes for different folks. but when WoW stopped being fun, I played Lotro, DnD, guild wars, a bit of Allods. tried my hand at Champions online but realized that superhero genre is just not my things.

still playing guild wars. dipped my toe into Fallen earth, pretty fun game actually. and then of course there are many MANY single player games.

my better half is a Warhammer guy, super excited about their upcoming MMO too.

WoW is far from be all, end all MMO, let alone game. its merely the most publicized.

most people bought SWTOR becasue, surprise! they wanted to play SWTOR. (and some wanted to play KOTOR sequel :p)

Yeah, but the problem now is, all the flaws and mistakes that WoW used to have (and eventually corrected), SWTOR is making the same mistakes.

So in the end, it just makes the game feels outdated even it's only a week old.

All? this is bullsh*t and you know it because it would be damn near impossible to even copy all the flaws and mistakes wow made.

Basically what you are saying is that without wow the mayan calander would have ended even earlier?

^ This.

Though, the mayan calendar was actually created by Al Gore, it gave him the insight to create the Interwebz, with the ultimate mission to spread the good word about Global Warming to all around the globez.

^ This.

Though, the mayan calendar was actually created by Al Gore, it gave him the insight to create the Interwebz, with the ultimate mission to spread the good word about Global Warming to all around the globez.

You mean wow didnt create Al Gore and the interwebz? Now i am all confused.

This is not your average MMO gang & I feel it's going to do just fine & be around for a while.

There is a new MMO player out their that SWTOR is attracting - the "Old" MMO raider from the 90's. We played since EQ1 - shutting the blinds & ignoring our families. But now we are older, have careers & have learned from our mistakes. We are the 1st generation.

We had a thirst for an MMO that we could just "pop" in & out of. One that gave us great content, atmosphere & more cut-scenes. The days of filling our quest que, grabbing a 6-pack of mountain dew & a box of chicken-n-the-biscuit are over. We have to plan our hr (or 2 if were lucky) wisely & look forward to a solid game play - which SWTOR offers in spades.

This game feels that void - not to mention most of us grew up with this genre.

This is not your average MMO gang & I feel it's going to do just fine & be around for a while.

There is a new MMO player out their that SWTOR is attracting - the "Old" MMO raider from the 90's. We played since EQ1 - shutting the blinds & ignoring our families. But now we are older, have careers & have learned from our mistakes. We are the 1st generation.

We had a thirst for an MMO that we could just "pop" in & out of. One that gave us great content, atmosphere & more cut-scenes. The days of filling our quest que, grabbing a 6-pack of mountain dew & a box of chicken-n-the-biscuit are over. We have to plan our hr (or 2 if were lucky) wisely & look forward to a solid game play - which SWTOR offers in spades.

This game feels that void - not to mention most of us grew up with this genre.

I commend you on representing us very well :) I now have a family and a career these days. While the inner-geek still resides, responsibility comes first!

Players are hungry for something new and different from WoW in the MMORPG genre. For the last 7 years, if you wanted a good MMORPG experience, you had to play WoW.

Im sorry, im laughing so freaking hard right now I cant read past the quoted portion!

AFK, I gotta wipe tears from my eyes im laughing so hard!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.