Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Best DPS spec to learn the class?

Noobishlord

So with the awesome enjoyableness that is my Sith Assassin soon coming to a close on Jung Ma, I'll need a new class to play through the game with. Maybe a bit slower, since I'm not trying to establish myself anymore.

Anyhoo, I decided on the Mercenary, which is about as anti-Assassin as you can get without being in a whole other game.

Now the thing is, I'm sure I'll dip into healing spec from time to time, as I do enjoy healing, but which DPS spec do you think is best to learn the class with? Better to learn how a Flashpoint / Operation goes as a DPS, a "less necessary" spec before dipping into the more "life or death" specs, as I always say, which is why I'm asking.

Arsenal is a bit easier, particularly because of its more forgiving heat management. It also handles AoE and target-switching a bit better (partly due to faster set-up, partly due to the sheer clunkiness of IO's DoTspread), making it quite good against packs of trash such as those you find in leveling. Honestly, both are in a good place right now, but Arsenal will be a little more fluid for solo questing.

I am going to have to argue against everyone, playing gunnery / arsenal teaches you to be lazy with energy management because you -never- run out of energy. I would recommend IO / Assault from the get go, then all other specs in the game will be a walk in the park.

Well thats a matter of perspective ofc. I have learned to ride a bike when i was young and then i also learned to drive a car pretty well too! ;)

So if you want it more of a challenge right away or are afraid you CANT LEARN ANYTHING LATER... EVER...(!!!??) :rak_03::rak_03: (***) :D:D:D then go IO/AS right away! By all means! :D

If u play it more than just now and then u will prolly learn all 3 anyways! :)

Edit: and as unload/fullauto(even more) is so classlike skill that spec built around it has to be likeable as such! <3

Edited by Fazaani

Well thats a matter of perspective ofc. I have learned to ride a bike when i was young and then i also learned to drive a car pretty well too! ;)

So if you want it more of a challenge right away or are afraid you CANT LEARN ANYTHING LATER... EVER...(!!!??) :rak_03::rak_03: (***) :D:D:D then go IO/AS right away! By all means! :D

If u play it more than just now and then u will prolly learn all 3 anyways! :)

Edit: and as unload/fullauto(even more) is so classlike skill that spec built around it has to be likeable as such! <3

I jumped into longboarding straight from the get go, no small slow boards for me, and now all other skateboards are easy as pie to use. My opinion stands =P.

Arsenal is much easier, and generally performs better for leveling, dailies and flashpoints. IO can push significantly higher dps on an ops boss, but not until you get the heat ramping phase of the rotation absolutely perfect. The heat neutral rotation does slightly less dps than Arsenal. In actual ops the dps difference isn't as huge as it is on the dummy since it's nearly impossible to get perfect heat ramping phases due to movement (though in many ways heat management is easier because of it) and Arsenal can do nearly it's full potential even in movement heavy fights.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.