Patch 3.2.2. - really needs 13 GB to download? Bug or intended?

Oeconomicus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Musco, this happens when you download the patch too early:

It appears that some players with BitRaider have automatically switched to the old SSN launcher; that's why they have to redownload everything. But I'm not entirely sure since I don't use BitRaider.

Edited by Jerba

Apparently they screwed up and left the patching server open during their downtime. This has triggered a full download of the client for lots of people. Its common practice for users to log in and check to see if a patch is available for download.. The launcher should be intelligent enough not to trigger a full download.

As of yet they have offered no resolution and have only briefly commented on Reddit about it. Currently you just have to download it all again.

Edited by Jnaathra

Apparently they screwed up and left the patching server open during their downtime.
Did they tell you it was ready to download or did you just assume it was? Unless they specifically told you the download was ready, they didn't screw up...you were just impatient.

As an Australian consumer we don't have unlimited bw per month this 13 gig patch lol is going to kill my net

SURLEY warnings on the launcher would have helped, or you guys turn off updating, until Your maintenance is finished would be better as of now I am downloading at 330 kbs so will be in game on Thursday my time

Thankyou very much

As an Australian consumer we don't have unlimited bw per month this 13 gig patch lol is going to kill my net

SURLEY warnings on the launcher would have helped, or you guys turn off updating, until Your maintenance is finished would be better as of now I am downloading at 330 kbs so will be in game on Thursday my time

Thankyou very much

205 kbs :(

Did they tell you it was ready to download or did you just assume it was? Unless they specifically told you the download was ready, they didn't screw up...you were just impatient.

You can NOT be serious. You are joking right, kidding, like, acting stupid on purpose, RIGHT?!

How can you put the blame on the guy who just simply downloaded it -early- ? For your own record, I downloaded the patch when maybe 4 or 5 hours left and I have this problem right now aswell. HOW ON EARTH we SUPPOSED to know the ENTIRE game will be broken if we do it while in the meintance?

Show me ONE SINGLE GAME that has such a bug? I am playing WoW for 10 years now, and even in its worst days, you -NEVER- had to download the whole game even if you HAD IT already.

Saying they didn't screw up, is quite way too much fanatism. THEY screwed it up PRETTY bad.

I can understand they may not have the workers skilled enough to prevent this, but there could be a WARNING.

Thankyou very much

You should probably just wait until they say it's ready from now on. Wouldn't that be safer? This isn't the 1st time this has happened either...happens quite a bit.

Any suggestions what to do, I turned launcher during lunchtime didn't though it as problem and after when I come back noticed that launcher is re-downloding whole client. I tried to delete patch folders and bitraider it is still doing full client download... Which is an issue due to my really slow connection will take me a few days so is there any chance to stop this? I don't have back up swtor(never had an issue with it) ?

I know you all want to defend them, but this is a good example of not following what we call "best practice" or "industry standards". You would be hard pressed to find another MMO title (or any game at all) that would trigger a full download of the game (by mistake) during a maintenance window. It should not be required of users to hang out on Twitter or Facebook to determine when it is safe to log into the game. The systems in place should be intelligent enough to prevent issues such as this.

You can NOT be serious. You are joking right, kidding, like, acting stupid on purpose, RIGHT?!

How can you put the blame on the guy who just simply downloaded it -early- ? For your own record, I downloaded the patch when maybe 4 or 5 hours left and I have this problem right now aswell. HOW ON EARTH we SUPPOSED to know the ENTIRE game will be broken if we do it while in the meintance?

Show me ONE SINGLE GAME that has such a bug? I am playing WoW for 10 years now, and even in its worst days, you -NEVER- had to download the whole game even if you HAD IT already.

Saying they didn't screw up, is quite way too much fanatism. THEY screwed it up PRETTY bad.

I can understand they may not have the workers skilled enough to prevent this, but there could be a WARNING.

I was serious. You started patching before they said it was ready...hell, it was even AFTER they extended maintenance. But do whatever you want...I just think downloading it BEFORE they say it's ready, is stupid. Save you like what, 10min? /smh

Never had to wait for an annoucement*, and downloading ahead is to get the patch ready for when the "servers online annoucement" comes about. Always worked. And apparently a few other fellows in this threads are experiencing the same.

Tallying up at 14 hours downtime and 13 GB and counting download...

* Never seen a " patch is ready to download " annoucement.. not around these forums, anyways, only because I've been digging on reddit for some info, have I come across what musco wrote, and even that was written today only because of what is occuring currently...

I know you all want to defend them...
Yeah, because everyone here knows me as a Biodrone and a Bioware defender...right?!

I'm just saying, wait until THEY say it's ready...this happens far too often lol.

You should probably just wait until they say it's ready from now on. Wouldn't that be safer? This isn't the 1st time this has happened either...happens quite a bit.

This only my second month of subscribing / playing maybe I should have come here first and done a search to see if the Unknown problem to me has happened before... could you please give me the 6 winning lotto numbers for next week or are they here somewhere as well

this only my second month of subscribing / playing maybe i should have come here first and done a search to see if the unknown problem to me has happened before... Could you please give me the 6 winning lotto numbers for next week or are they here somewhere as well

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 0

nope :rolleyes:

See, there's a difference between " Servers are ON "

And

" You may begin downloading the patch "

GGWP...not :p

Yeah, I can see how that may be too difficult for you to interpret. My bad. Keep doing what you do...I was simply making a suggestion.

To all the players asking what to do:

If you have to download 13+ GB, it means that until now, you have been using the BitRaider launcher. When you tried to login during maintenance, BitRaider was not available so you were automatically switched over to the old, non-streaming launcher. If you just let that download finish, you will no longer have BitRaider in the future, which is good because many players have problems with BitRaider. After downloading a patch, it will verify the install, which can take another 30+ minutes if you have a slow hard drive, while the old launcher allows you to play immediately.

However, I don't know if it's possible to stop the download and go back to BitRaider. You may be able to do this by editing the launcher.settings file but I'd recommend to just go ahead and continue downloading it even if it may take a while.

Edit: To interrupt the 13GB download and go back to BitRaider, do the following (after closing the launcher):

I think I found a way to revert launcher to state of using BitRaider:

1) open launcher.settings file with notepad

2) find line "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\", \"publictest\": \"SSN\" }"

3) change it to "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"

And it should help you :)

Edited by Jerba