Accidentally Purchased In-Game Item... refund?

BobaMcFett

So I accidentally purchased an item for 12000 CREDITS(!)- some goofy-looking companion customization MOD- and am wondering if it is even possible to get reimbursed for the accidental purchase?

Now before anyone flames this just know that ctrl+LEFT click is "View Item"; ctrl+RIGHT click spends 12000 credits that you have no intention to spend WITHOUT any "Warning: Youre About To Blow Your Entire Bank Account On This Pointless Item. Proceed?" pop-up.

If the Mods wont reimburse for this mistake thats cool, it was MY mistake. But in the future maybe a confirmation pop-up on the REALLY expensive items would be a good idea.

And yes, I did open a ticket but have since learned my lesson from opening a ticket 10 days ago for another matter which still hasnt been acknowledged.

I actually did the same thing TWICE.. thankfully not on items that expensive, however.. being a veteran of online gaming i already knew that there was no way i was getting my money back. It is definitely sucky, and i think there should definitely be a confirmation on thing over like 5k.

In previous games it was never a problem for me but, i think that was mostly due to the fact there was no reason to left click anything on a vendor (a vendor functions like the vendors in this game) so you didn't accidentally click the wrong button in a temporary moment of mental vertigo. With the option to view certain things before you by them just makes things a little risky.. especially when you can accidentally spend hard earned commendations.

I did the same thing. 12k credits at lvl 18, and I went from 17k to 5k. At that lvl, I was really bumbed for awhile. Should have a 1 hr sell back CD on items or at least an Are You Sure: Y or N?

Totally agree, this is a little thing that is missing. Plz fix.

Edited by Quantumm

I also did the exact same thing. I had about 12800 creds and was viewing companion appearance mods. Well, I did the same thing as you and ended up with a very fancy looking twilec and 800 creds left over.

From experience playing other mmo's, I knew I would never get my creds back. I didn't even bother filling out a ticket, but I think it's good you did so it brings it to there attention.

This could be solved with a 'preview' button instead of making it a key combo.

• 5 weeks later...
I just did the exact same thing... ctrl + LEFT CLICK!!! ahh.... my mistake but yes there should definately be a warning for expensive items. I also bought that worthless vette customization and drained half my account. I know it was my fault but a little pop up would have saved me from wanting to delete my character in frustration.

This could be resolved easily if BioWare would give the vendor Buyback tab more functionality by letting the player immediately get a full refund for any item purchase made in error. There could also be a one or two-minute grace period, even after closing the vendor window. On top of this, there should also be a Preview button of some kind that the player can click on to preview the appearance of an item on their character while the item is highlighted in the vendor window.

Yeah, it just needs that feature in the game that other MMOs have had for years, its not hard.

WoW only has this feature related to buying epic items that actually cost many hours of work.

Reality is 12K creds is nothing when the 'expensive' stuff actually costs something around the 100k+ mark. Bioware simply don't want to bog down people buying things with needless tick boxes and i agree with that policy. If you make a foolish mistake then you learn from it and ideally don't make it again. You don't whine to the makers to wrap you up in padded paper and make EVERYTHING a chore unless you're 8 years old. Thats what WoW did and now look at it....

If you open a ticket, there is a good chance that they will refund you the credits. My fiancee did the same thing, and it is frustrating, especially at lower levels when you have little cash to begin with, and if you don't have higher level alts to help out.

Please realize that these types of tickets are not awfully high on the priority list, but if you have the patience to wait 3-4 days, you will get it. Fly some space missions if you're bored in the meantime.

I did exactly the same thing. Honestly I don't think the preview function works. I was curious about the customization thing, too. I had seen the open slot and you know what curiosity did to the cat!

I finally came upon a vendor selling "customizations" - so I attempted to preview one for Elara. (I had NO intention of buying it). Instead, I was instantly 12,500 credits poorer for a customization that is HORRIBLE. I submitted a bug ticket and now I see that other people have the same issue. BW should either fix this or, better yet, remove the "preview" option altogether bc obviously it doesn't work. I have enough experience with online gaming to know that refunds just don't occur in this kind of situation.

12,500 was (and still is) a lot of credits - at least for me. I am not sure why these are so expensive. If the one I was stuck with is any indication... these are a complete waste of your credits.

12k is a lot if you're leveling, it's your first toon, and you really want that mount and are saving every credit. Been there, done that.

I know bioware refunds sometimes. I say sometimes, because I saw on forums people getting refund while I was getting a closed ticket for a similar purchase.

If you're on Exiled Crystal-EU, give Minth or Mrysh a poke. :)

Edited by Bludjinni

Contact Customer Service and you can get a refund. You can only do this three times in a six month period however.

Adding instant buy back functionallity would be great and would allow customer service to focus on other things.

Edited by Dragondog

If you make a foolish mistake then you learn from it and ideally don't make it again. You don't whine to the makers to wrap you up in padded paper and make EVERYTHING a chore unless you're 8 years old. Thats what WoW did and now look at it....

You're kidding right? The goal of every competent MMO company is to improve things as they go along. Giving players the ability to correct a mistaken purchase would be an improvement to the game. We should be progressing forward, not backward.

Edited by BlackRifle

You're kidding right? The goal of every competent MMO company is to improve things as they go along. Giving players the ability to correct a mistaken purchase would be an improvement to the game. We should be progressing forward, not backward.

Nope, not kidding. Just imagine if EVERY TIME you wanted to buy something you had to 'confirm' whether you wanted it or not? It would, eventually, over an extended period just end up adding frustration to a basic process.

Its a very easy mistake to make ONCE. After that its very simple, you learn that right click or ctrl right click buys items... where as ctrl left previews them. So what if you loose a few K's worth of creds? you should have realized very early on that right click buys items so, the only way you make that mistake is through lack of attention.

The goal of every competent game should be to challenge its players, NOT to make it super easy and idiot proof... because if you make it idiot proof you assume your players are idiots, and if your players are idiots then anyone who ISN@T an idiot won't want to play the game any more because its too simple.

I fell foul of this problem once, learned from it, and moved on. No big deal. By the way to the jawa complaining about the preview function not working... it does work, you just don't use it properly.

Nope, not kidding. Just imagine if EVERY TIME you wanted to buy something you had to 'confirm' whether you wanted it or not? It would, eventually, over an extended period just end up adding frustration to a basic process.

The goal of every competent game should be to challenge its players, NOT to make it super easy and idiot proof... because if you make it idiot proof you assume your players are idiots, and if your players are idiots then anyone who ISN@T an idiot won't want to play the game any more because its too simple.

I wasn't referring to having a confirmation pop up every time you purchase something, I was talking about being able to correct a mistaken purchase immediately after the purchase has been made. There is a big difference between the two. Such a feature would not be an inconvenience to anyone, nor would it suddenly make the game "easier" for those who beg for challenge.

I hope this clarifies what I was trying to convey. Being able to correct a mistaken purchase after the fact has nothing to do with the game's difficulty or challenge level.

Edited by BlackRifle

Hmm, I make at least one unhelpful comment every day, and today it goes on this thread...

There is an issue with the item display on the GTN not showing all of the stats on an item, which leads to people who are not paying attention buying an item for the wrong Advanced Class. As far as I know it is possible to differentiate between the item you bought and the one you intended to buy if you look hard enough.

But saying "oh, I accidentally used the wrong keyboard/mouse combination and I spent my money on the wrong thing"?

My advice is to take this as a lesson to be more careful next time. You can log a ticket for a refund, and the CSRs will get to it eventually, but by the time you get the money back 12,000 credits will be almost irrelevant.

Reality is 12K creds is nothing when the 'expensive' stuff actually costs something around the 100k+ mark. Bioware simply don't want to bog down people buying things with needless tick boxes and i agree with that policy. If you make a foolish mistake then you learn from it and ideally don't make it again. You don't whine to the makers to wrap you up in padded paper and make EVERYTHING a chore unless you're 8 years old. Thats what WoW did and now look at it....

You can gloat over your fortune somewhere else but we are talking about new players here. 12k means a lot to new players especially when they are new to MMO.

While trash-talk WoW may seem like a cool thing to you now, it really doesn't add anything to the discussion. What the OP is suggesting makes a lot of sense - a buyback tab for vendor before players close the window.

If we can buy back things we sold accidentally, why couldn't we sell back things we purchased accidentally?

Edited by MilkPudding