Which Personal Story antagonist had the best characterization ?

Slowpokeking

I only played the Empire side, so

Agent

Hunter is not powerful, but definitely grow the most hate because "he" used the mind control so much and was keep taunting at you throughout Act III, the death is what she deserved.

I like Jadus a lot even though I chose to fight him first.

Inquisitor

The story wasn't so fun but Thanaton was well characterized douche. He was keep yelling about tradition and honor, but at the same time he was spending his energy on infighting and refused to admit your victory after the Kaggath. Typical hypocrite.

Warrior

Baras was a manipulator, he was well characterized in ACT I-II but not that amazing in the last one as your enemy. Actually in the end, his performance before the Dark Council was laughable.

Bounty Hunter

I will count Jun Seros as the villain, he's a knight templar type of villain. He had the reason to hate my char but went way too far, especially as a Jedi. In the end he realized it but refused to give up. Nicely done as well.

I'm only familiar enough to discuss the ones for Smuggler, Knight, and Inquisitor. I've seen a Let's Play of Trooper, but it was a long time ago. Regardless, I'd actually say:

Commander Tavus, Trooper chapter 1. He doesn't seem villainous, he just seems like he's fighting for what he believes in. What he believes in is crazy, but still...

Also, I noticed something about the final bosses:

Republic Side

Imperial, Sith, Imperial, Sith's Puppet

Imperial Side

Sith, Sith, Sith/Jedi, Sith

Harron or Tarro Beiber get my vote.

You'll understand exactly why Harron when you finish the story.

T.Beiber is a perfect counterpart to a BH. ESPECIALLY if LS!

The worst written?

Funnily enough, The Emperor(lol!). His final fight is equally as stupid. A oneshot move alongside a horde of illusions, really BW?

I know it's silly as each story seems to be happening at the same time or at least at different crosslines... but I would have really love to be able to cross over against some of these class exclusive villains with my Inquisitor... or if you could cross over with any class! I would just love to see how the story would change or have interesting twist plots...

Sorry if it's hard to read or understand this is not my native language...but I think you understand what im saying right?

Its just a crazy thought...

Sorry if it's hard to read or understand this is not my native language...but I think you understand what im saying right?

Trust me, there are people whose native language is English, and they do a far worse job at it than you do.

On topic, I've only done little bits and pieces of all the stories, but sometimes I feel like the best "foils" you get to your character are in the prologue. Some you never see again, true, but when your character is at their weakest, they make the perfect foil for you.

1. Baras: He just progressed so well and just... Clicked. His voice actor, the mystery behind the mask, his motives, his schemes, his personality when he's both pleased and displeased... I'd say he was the best antagonist of all the storylines when it comes to characterization. Let's face it- the

2. Skavak: As someone else said, this was the perfect enemy of the smuggler. I even wish he had lived a la Lord Draahg and kept on pestering the smuggler throughout the story. He would have made a fantastic alter-ego type enemy to the Light side smuggler, at the very least. He could have also joined Voidy as an Imperial Privateer to counter you :p

3. Nomen Kaar: The Sith Warrior was just so perfectly written.

4. Zash: I feel she had a good build up.

Honorable mention to Overseer Harkun.

1. Baras: He just progressed so well and just... Clicked. His voice actor, the mystery behind the mask, his motives, his schemes, his personality when he's both pleased and displeased... I'd say he was the best antagonist of all the storylines when it comes to characterization. Let's face it- the

2. Skavak: As someone else said, this was the perfect enemy of the smuggler. I even wish he had lived a la Lord Draahg and kept on pestering the smuggler throughout the story. He would have made a fantastic alter-ego type enemy to the Light side smuggler, at the very least. He could have also joined Voidy as an Imperial Privateer to counter you :p

3. Nomen Kaar: The Sith Warrior was just so perfectly written.

4. Zash: I feel she had a good build up.

Honorable mention to Overseer Harkun.

From someone who just completed the Sith Warrior's Chapter 1...

Isn't Baras kind of a moron? As a LS Warrior, you quite frequently subvert his plans, often in the "let's not kill the person he told me to kill" way, and he never seems to catch on. He never struck me as impressive at all, given how easily he's fooled.

Edited by Xilizhra

Isn't Baras kind of a moron? As a LS Warrior, you quite frequently subvert his plans, often in the "let's not kill the person he told me to kill" way, and he never seems to catch on. He never struck me as impressive at all, given how easily he's fooled.

Most of the time he doesn't care how you do it, as long as the desired effect is achieved. He's only a "moron" compared to the main character (the Warrior in this case), because the player's character is always infallible - so of course you get away with going behind his back.

He had spies embedded in the highest ranks of the Republic, and even in the Jedi order itself. There's not a lot of Sith who can say that.

On topic:

Hunter gets my vote for the best all around. Though I very much enjoyed Tarro as well, he was such a gigantic douche. And that sense of entitlement! :p

Edited by Callaron

maybe I am biased because I just finished the story but,

Hunter (IA) was a man I loved to hate :D. The first time he used the control word, I knew I wanted him dead. And while in the end I did kill "him," I struggled with that decision.

I agree that Skavak is the PERFECT foil for the smuggler

and I guess that's why - for me - the smuggler story goes downhill after chapter 1

I've done seven of the eight stories (Sith Warrior is the one I have not done yet) and none of the other antagonists were particularly memorable.

He's not a moron, he had a system so tight that the Emperor himself had to grab the Sith Warrior as his Wrath to take him out. If the Emperor called on him, then Baras was definitely a problem.

The Sith Warrior almost got killed by Baras without even having to face him, that he didn't was in thanks to his own physical resilience and aid of the Force. If anything, the Warrior was a fool because he suspected Baras's deception (at least mine did) but didn't act on it quickly enough and almost got punished severely for it.

Also, you were Baras's puppet for 90% of the storyline, that you could subvert his plans doesn't mean that you ultimately didn't do what he wanted. In the case of the Sith Lord on Nar Shadaa, for example, Baras wanted him out of the picture. If you spared him, he pledged himself to you, which effectively nudged him out of Baras's way. Tremel's another example. If you recall, none of the people whom you spared actually help you at all when it comes to facing Baras, so Baras still played you the whole way through.

Also, a Light Side Sith Warrior never really makes a major dent in the Empire (unless you screwed the Empire on Voss in the planetary chain) because he's building up a diminutive, personal power base.

As far as villain characterization goes, Skavak has my vote. That sleazebag really was the perfect counterpart for the Smuggler.

I once again somehow manage to forget my favorite class. Skavak vs. Tavus really depends on whether you're looking for "Love to Hate" or something more interestingly characterized. Skavak is supposed to be an annoying sleazebag, and he serves that purpose beautifully, but Darth Vader he is not. Tavus is one of those villains who's annoying because he's actually kind of right.

I really don't get the love for Baras. Even if you leave aside the decision to make his model a Body Type 4 Male, aka the Spherical body type, he's just never really imposing. He always came off as more a Writer's Pet, being given all of these advantages instead of seeming to earn them.

Thanaton was always more impressive because, aside from his breakdown after losing the Kaggath on Corellia, he's always smart, respectful, calm and yet still quite deadly. He always comes off as a true believer, albeit too far behind the times.

Skavak... well, duh. Of course everyone loves him. He's funny, he's deadly, he's clever, and his voice actor (Kiff VandenHeuvel, who also portrayed Father Comstock in Bioshock Infinite) does an amazing job with him, getting you to laugh at his jabs even when you want to blow his head off. I was kinda sad to kill him, honestly, and the Voidwolf (...another BT4 Male...) was a poor followup.

Also? I have a soft spot in my heart for Darth Angral. Giving him a personal beef with the Knight was a great touch, and it probably should be noted that he probably did the most damage to the Republic out of any of the villiains in the class stories.

I really don't get the love for Baras. Even if you leave aside the decision to make his model a Body Type 4 Male, aka the Spherical body type, he's just never really imposing. He always came off as more a Writer's Pet, being given all of these advantages instead of seeming to earn them.

Yeah I agree. He always came across to me as a sith who got his way more often than he should've and because of power he had when he was younger (and much thinner :p ), nobody came against him. Once the end of chapter 3 comes around though, you find out that he's pretty much a wuss that cowers behind the dark council when he gets his lard butt handed to him.

Also? I have a soft spot in my heart for Darth Angral. Giving him a personal beef with the Knight was a great touch, and it probably should be noted that he probably did the most damage to the Republic out of any of the villiains in the class stories.

Yes, yes, yes! Also after reading the book Deceived, I gained new respect for Angral. Specially since for a good part of the story he makes Malgus his *****, and is clearly has more authoritative power and is stronger than him.

Edited by OrinVlado

Unpopular Opinion ;_;

The four ghosts the Inquisitor bonds always struck me. Four Sith of completely different origin combine to form a horrible enemy. They're also the most "dangerous" villains in the story.

Thanaton was always more impressive because, aside from his breakdown after losing the Kaggath on Corellia, he's always smart, respectful, calm and yet still quite deadly. He always comes off as a true believer, albeit too far behind the times.

I don't get his reason to kill me (stupid "tradition"? Never heard Sith have such thing), that's my biggest problem with him. As for his loss, most of the Sith are hypocrites.

Edited by Slowpokeking

I don't get his reason to kill me (stupid "tradition"? Never heard Sith have such thing), that's my biggest problem with him. As for his loss, most of the Sith are hypocrites.

That's why I like him, actually.

His level of dedication to tradition and order shows a different side to the Sith Empire, a side that explains why they were able to stay in hiding for over a thousand years. The utterly anarchic stereotype of the Sith flies right in the face of that kind of persistence.

He's utterly fanatical, but in a way that's not what you'd expect a Sith to be... and yet he believes in it all the same... right up until the point where its him being surpassed and usurped. He seems to be the sort that believes that he will inevitably be among the greatest, but unlike Baras, that isn't the start and end to his motivation. He really, truly seems to value the Sith Empire. He's a patriot as well as being power hungry... because what patriotic Sith wouldn't be power hungry?

That's why I like him, actually.

His level of dedication to tradition and order shows a different side to the Sith Empire, a side that explains why they were able to stay in hiding for over a thousand years. The utterly anarchic stereotype of the Sith flies right in the face of that kind of persistence.

He's utterly fanatical, but in a way that's not what you'd expect a Sith to be... and yet he believes in it all the same... right up until the point where its him being surpassed and usurped. He seems to be the sort that believes that he will inevitably be among the greatest, but unlike Baras, that isn't the start and end to his motivation. He really, truly seems to value the Sith Empire. He's a patriot as well as being power hungry... because what patriotic Sith wouldn't be power hungry?

But Sith' tradition is about manipulation and power play, we can see it on Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh. the Empire didn't start it, just some of the Sith went too far like Baras. I think Zash might not be a super powerful Sith, but she follows the Sith way better than Thanaton and Baras.

Edited by Slowpokeking

But Sith' tradition is about manipulation and power play, we can see it on Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh. the Empire didn't start it, just some of the Sith went too far like Baras.

And that's the point. Vash went too far in Thanaton's book. She didn't just kill her master, she practically openly murdered him, like the ancient rules that had maintained the Sith Empire for over a millenia were nothing.

Its a common theme throughout the Inquisitor story. Murdering your master and taking their place or killing a rival is all well and good, but you need to be cunning enough to not let it get traced back to you. Its how Thanaton joins the Dark Council, after all, and the only time he openly and directly confronts the Inquisitor is by calling upon an ancient Sith tradition that allows for such actions, the Kaggath.

Vash flaunted her disregard for that and Thanaton felt that she would have passed such traits onto her apprentice... and so he had to go as well, to kill not just the poison tree, but all the fruit that came from it as well.

And that's the point. Vash went too far in Thanaton's book. She didn't just kill her master, she practically openly murdered him, like the ancient rules that had maintained the Sith Empire for over a millenia were nothing.

Its a common theme throughout the Inquisitor story. Murdering your master and taking their place or killing a rival is all well and good, but you need to be cunning enough to not let it get traced back to you. Its how Thanaton joins the Dark Council, after all, and the only time he openly and directly confronts the Inquisitor is by calling upon an ancient Sith tradition that allows for such actions, the Kaggath.

Vash flaunted her disregard for that and Thanaton felt that she would have passed such traits onto her apprentice... and so he had to go as well, to kill not just the poison tree, but all the fruit that came from it as well.

Zash didn't kill her master, we don't even know who her master is. Darth Skotia was her rival.

Naga Sadow also killed Simus, even Thanaton himself admitted that all Sith wanted to kill his master. Did you read Blood of the Empire comic? He was willing to kill his own master as well.

Zash didn't kill her master, we don't even know who her master is. Darth Skotia was her rival.

Naga Sadow also killed Simus, even Thanaton himself admitted that all Sith wanted to kill his master. Did you read Blood of the Empire comic? He was willing to kill his own master as well.

For the first, semantics. He was above Zash, and killing him made Zash a Darth. So, basically the same for all intents and purposes.

For the second? No, I haven't read the comic, but of course Thanaton was willing to kill his Master. He just didn't want to kill his master the wrong way, which is what's REALLY important (to him).

Thanaton irritated me. Maybe it was the voice acting, but he didn't come across as clever or menacing -- merely petulant. It is possible to have a character who's both urbane and utterly ruthless (see Zash and Baras, who IMO did a far better job with the archetype).

I had the same problem with Darmas Pollaran. He's suave and charismatic through most of the smuggler storyline, and then

when you discover his betrayal and secret identity, he goes all whiny and obnoxious. If they'd kept him charming and coolly unapologetic to the very end, my smuggler might actually have let him go (granted, she never went beyond mild flirting with him, so the turnabout felt less personal).