12X Class mission XP

ejbsuperbat

I think this is awsome, I got a new guy from level 1-10 in 45 minuites. But this seems too good to be true. Is it? Is there some sort of catche? I know you have to be a sub and It goes away in August but as I said. This seems too good to be true!

I don't think there is so much a "catch" as there is limitations ...

And yes, there are limitations to the 12 XP. Some of those were addressed this go around. Others still need to be addressed. What am I talking about?

Well, for starters once you do down the 12 XP path, you kind of stuck with it. Because if you get two high in level (about 4 - 5 levels above content) you lose the 12 XP bonus until you fall back into line. On my sage, I'm mid way to level 52 and still have Correllia and Ilum to go to. It is quite possible that I will hit the max xp gain (it is set to 55) before I even finish the basic pre-expansion content.

How did this happen? Because I did other things besides story missions. I ran warzones and did space combat. Sometimes, when you login, you don't have a few hours to play. Sometimes you have less than that and doing one of the other fits that time frame better than spending 5 minutes on a planet just trying to travel to the next mission location.

Another issue is that even 12 comms / mission still don't seem quite enough. You level so quickly that before you know it you need to upgrade gear. Sure it is easier now with most planetary mods costing just 2 comms each, but if you have a full set of modified gear (plus a companion) you pretty much have to have more than 12 comms / quest turn in. because it takes just two quests generally to level. So that means you gain 24 comms / level. Just to cover your basic modified gear and not implants, relics, or earpiece, you need a min of 50 every two levels. So you are already two comm behind each level. Add those non-modified equipment items and you are well below having enough comms. And then you still have a companion to gear up. So at some point, you have to stop leveling on class missions and farm comms just to catch up.

IMO, we need 20 comms / turn in. There might be some non-modified pieces you can't replace every two levels, but this should still be a minimal impact. Those you can replace with the GTN, PVP items, or potential loot drops.

A third issue is actually managed by doing what cause the first issue. PVP. Some people might not care to do this at all. I get that. There are a lot of barriers in place in the level brackets that would keep a considerable number of people from doing warzones while leveling. But unless you do get more than your toes wet in warzones, your toon is in a miserable place by the time it hits 60 (especially on a PVP server). With no warzone comms and your toon potentially in raid level gear (if you do Yavin 4 or Ziost content) you are in a very bad place PVP wise.

A fourth issue may not be an issue at all. Depends on your point of view really. That is companion crafting and resource gathering skills. Doing 12 XP it is all but impossible to keep these skills at appropriate levels. It is also quite expensive. More money than the average leveling player likely has. Some would argue that you need to just focus on those skills once you get in the 50s as you will be in a better place to afford it. But the point of these skills is to assist you while leveling and help with endgame item aquisition. Ignoring these skills completely may impact you in unexpected ways later. Or it may not.

A fifth issue is light and dark reputation. To put it bruntly, you hardly gain any one way or the other doing story mode quests. The end result is you miss out on using level appropraite relics because you haven't gained enough to meet the minimum requirement. Outside of 12 xp I wouldn't even consider it an issue. But leveling a character strickly on this it does become one.

Edited by ForceWelder

And yes, there are limitations to the 12 XP. Some of those were addressed this go around. Others still need to be addressed. What am I talking about?

Well, for starters once you do down the 12 XP path, you kind of stuck with it. Because if you get two high in level (about 4 - 5 levels above content) you lose the 12 XP bonus until you fall back into line. On my sage, I'm mid way to level 52 and still have Correllia and Ilum to go to. It is quite possible that I will hit the max xp gain (it is set to 55) before I even finish the basic pre-expansion content.

How did this happen? Because I did other things besides story missions. I ran warzones and did space combat. Sometimes, when you login, you don't have a few hours to play. Sometimes you have less than that and doing one of the other fits that time frame better than spending 5 minutes on a planet just trying to travel to the next mission location.

Another issue is that even 12 comms / mission still don't seem quite enough. You level so quickly that before you know it you need to upgrade gear. Sure it is easier now with most planetary mods costing just 2 comms each, but if you have a full set of modified gear (plus a companion) you pretty much have to have more than 12 comms / quest turn in. because it takes just two quests generally to level. So that means you gain 24 comms / level. Just to cover your basic modified gear and not implants, relics, or earpiece, you need a min of 25. So you are already one comm behind each level. Add those non-modified equipment items and you are well below having enough comms. And then you still have a companion to gear up. So at some point, you have to stop leveling on class missions and farm comms just to catch up.

IMO, we need 15 comms / turn in. There might be some non-modified pieces you can't replace every two levels, but this should still be a minimal impact.

A third issue is actually managed by doing what cause the first issue. PVP. Some people might not care to do this at all. I get that. There are a lot of barriers in place in the level brackets that would keep a considerable number of people from doing warzones while leveling. But unless you do get more than your toes wet in warzones, your toon is in a miserable place by the time it hits 60 (especially on a PVP server). With no warzone comms and potential raid level gear (if you do Yavin 4 or Ziost content) you are in a very bad place PVP wise.

A fourth issue may not be an issue at all. Depends on your point of view really. That is companion crafting and resource gathering skills. Doing 12 XP it is all but impossible to keep these skills at appropriate levels. It is also quite expensive. More money than the average leveling player likely has. Some would argue that you need to just focus on those skills once you get in the 50s as you will be in a better place to afford it. But the point of these skills is to assist you while leveling and help with endgame item aquisition. Ignoring these skills completely may impact you in unexpected ways later. Or it may not.

The first thing isn't an issue at all, besides the fact that the stuff you end up outleveling will be easier, you can still do whatever missions you want.

The second thing about comms earned vs gear needed. There is no way you need to upgrade your gear every level. Spacing it out by every two planets (longer depending how hard its getting) has left me with a surplus on two characters so far.

Third, again, besides ending up with over-easy missions, its not an issue. Do pvp as you want.

Now the fourth, I would agree, if you want to level a crafting alt, you might as well turn off the 12x because you are going to be going around each planet for nodes unless you want to spend considerable time grinding companion missions.

With the introduction of the white acute thingy, there is really no "significant" downside to 12x. And besides, getting initial orange sets, implants/earpieces (lack of credits to purchase on gtn), crafting, etc are things that having a main really helps out with, and I think its a good, if not intended, negative incentive for new players to go with 12x xp. I think this should have been a "once you have a maxed toon on both factions" sort of perk.

Another issue is that even 12 comms / mission still don't seem quite enough. You level so quickly that before you know it you need to upgrade gear. Sure it is easier now with most planetary mods costing just 2 comms each, but if you have a full set of modified gear (plus a companion) you pretty much have to have more than 12 comms / quest turn in. because it takes just two quests generally to level. So that means you gain 24 comms / level. Just to cover your basic modified gear and not implants, relics, or earpiece, you need a min of 50 every two levels. So you are already two comm behind each level. Add those non-modified equipment items and you are well below having enough comms. And then you still have a companion to gear up. So at some point, you have to stop leveling on class missions and farm comms just to catch up.

IMO, we need 15 comms / turn in. There might be some non-modified pieces you can't replace every two levels, but this should still be a minimal impact.

Ok....just to point it out again. With 12XP there is absolutely NO reason to upgrade your mods every 2 lvls. Personally...I don't upgrade mine until I start dying/taking massive damage. If You can get decently equipped by lvl

10-13 (using coms for blues and the GTN for greens), then you can go to lvl 25-30 before you upgrade again. You should only be upgrading your mods every 10lvls or so.

Ok....just to point it out again. With 12XP there is absolutely NO reason to upgrade your mods every 2 lvls. Personally...I don't upgrade mine until I start dying/taking massive damage. If You can get decently equipped by lvl

10-13 (using coms for blues and the GTN for greens), then you can go to lvl 25-30 before you upgrade again. You should only be upgrading your mods every 10lvls or so.

I couldn't disagree more. Spend credits on greens? Seriously? Maybe if you are on a vibrant server this is an option (not that I would personally do it) but on lower population servers this suggestion isn't even viable. Not enough demand for greens and blue to even justify the effort to put them on the GTN.

And how do you avoid massive damage in the first place? By keeping your equipment up to level. And that means changing mods every two levels. You can go with non-modified gear if you want, but IMO you just wasting credits. You get more mileage out of modified gear. And since you ahve to hit a trainer up every copuple of levels anyway, just make a quick clean sweep and upgrade your gear while you are at it.

12 comms per class mission has been plenty to keep my characters going as I level them up. I always put myself and my current companion of choice in a full suit of moddable gear as soon as possible and update to current level mods in it every ten levels or so. Only once so far (and have leveled several characters so far this way) have I ever hit a spell where the comms didn't come in in a timely manner but even then I was able to manage until I got enough to upgrade my gear. If every 10 levels for both you and your companion is a little rough for you, you can alternate between gearing your self or your companion each planet. Your still regearing every ten levels or so but your never both 10 levels down in gear at once.

I upgrade mods every 10 levels, same with my companion, and have way more coms than I need and have no problem killing anything in the class quest. Upgrading mods every level is retardedly unnecessary. Edited by Karaiblis

I couldn't disagree more. Spend credits on greens? Seriously? Maybe if you are on a vibrant server this is an option (not that I would personally do it) but on lower population servers this suggestion isn't even viable. Not enough demand for greens and blue to even justify the effort to put them on the GTN.

And how do you avoid massive damage in the first place? By keeping your equipment up to level. And that means changing mods every two levels. You can go with non-modified gear if you want, but IMO you just wasting credits. You get more mileage out of modified gear. And since you ahve to hit a trainer up every copuple of levels anyway, just make a quick clean sweep and upgrade your gear while you are at it.

No sense in upgrading equipment every 2 levels. Im not a good player and my question would be how do you take so much damage with gear 4, 5 or even 6 levels below, especially when its easy to stay 2+ levels ahead of the mobs? Best answer, just swap mods every time you start dieing repeatedly. If you are getting killed with gear 3 levels below, you need to practice.

IMO, we need 20 comms / turn in. There might be some non-modified pieces you can't replace every two levels, but this should still be a minimal impact. Those you can replace with the GTN, PVP items, or potential loot drops.

A fourth issue may not be an issue at all. Depends on your point of view really. That is companion crafting and resource gathering skills. Doing 12 XP it is all but impossible to keep these skills at appropriate levels. It is also quite expensive. More money than the average leveling player likely has. Some would argue that you need to just focus on those skills once you get in the 50s as you will be in a better place to afford it. But the point of these skills is to assist you while leveling and help with endgame item aquisition. Ignoring these skills completely may impact you in unexpected ways later. Or it may not..

Decent gear is available on planets for credits. A lot of the drops/rewards are OK. It's a giant, royal, time-sucking PITA to do a 100% COMM swap anyway. I'll do one complete refresh at 52 from now on...and that's *it*. Everything else is getting replaced piece-meal...maybe except for the main hand. Besides that, the blue 190s are all "free" from just running PVE.

I've found it's barely effective to run missions until I have 5-6 toons to do them efficiently. I ran up armstech from 0-450 in about 4 hours of semi-focused barrel crafting this past weekend. Polished it off Sunday after getting a guild member to farm a few more turadium for me. Now, I'm closing in on 400 scavenging since I can devote my crew to that one entirely.

Frankly, the story lines are some of the best I've ever encountered. To me, it's worth playing them through cohesively, and having a stable full of max toons to tinker with, although you do bring up some valid potential draw backs.

Decent gear is available on planets for credits. A lot of the drops/rewards are OK. It's a giant, royal, time-sucking PITA to do a 100% COMM swap anyway. I'll do one complete refresh at 52 from now on...and that's *it*. Everything else is getting replaced piece-meal...maybe except for the main hand. Besides that, the blue 190s are all "free" from just running PVE.

I've found it's barely effective to run missions until I have 5-6 toons to do them efficiently. I ran up armstech from 0-450 in about 4 hours of semi-focused barrel crafting this past weekend. Polished it off Sunday after getting a guild member to farm a few more turadium for me. Now, I'm closing in on 400 scavenging since I can devote my crew to that one entirely.

Frankly, the story lines are some of the best I've ever encountered. To me, it's worth playing them through cohesively, and having a stable full of max toons to tinker with, although you do bring up some valid potential draw backs.

I don't disagree with you that you are better off focusing on those skills once you have gained most of your companions. In fact I would even recommend it. But if you are on your first toon, doing that all but defeats the purpose of the crafting skill to begin with. There are very few things you can craft that a max player will find useful (although there are some things like medkits and augments). And the whole point of these crafting skills is to give you some advantage in items or resources while leveling.

The odds of somebody gaining enough resources to level a skill simply from the resource nodes you find while doing class quests is slim. You are better off focusing on the companion gathering skill missions than trying to level a crafting skill.

Outside of 12 XP companion skill leveling isn't an issue. But during 12 XP, you level so fast, you can never catch up.

You can disagree, but you're STILL absolutely wrong. You can buy low lvl greens armor mods on the shadowlands GTN ALL DAY for 100-200 credits each. I know this for a fact because it's how I've started gearing all the alts I've made recently,

And you avoid damage by L2P (yep I went there) ...,between lvl 1-25 you easily stay 2-5lvls above the mission lvl. That fact makes it easy to defeat most enemies. Add treek or HK as a companion, and then gearing is really a non issue. Bottom line, of you're using 12XP and upgrading your armor mods every 2 lvls then you're wasting mods.

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

I upgrade mods every 10 levels, same with my companion, and have way more coms than I need and have no problem killing anything in the class quest. Upgrading mods every level is retardedly unnecessary.

It depends if you ever want to PVP. Then it makes a huge difference. Going back to my original post, I pointed out that one of the inherent weaknesses of 12 XP is that it forces you not to diverge into other areas of the game. Do too much and you outlevel your next round of content and lose the 12 XP bonus.

But at the same time, do you really want to be level 40 and go into a warzone in level 31 gear? Or even 35? Or 37?

The answer is no.

And unless you PVP while leveling, then your toon will be in a very bad spot once they hit level 60.

So you keep your gear up and that means upgrading the mods every two levels if you can. Sure you can make an argument that this gear upgrade isn't necessary for your companion of choice, but at the same time I would argue that by not doing it your companion becomes less effective.

It depends if you ever want to PVP. Then it makes a huge difference. Going back to my original post, I pointed out that one of the inherent weaknesses of 12 XP is that it forces you not to diverge into other areas of the game. Do too much and you outlevel your next round of content and lose the 12 XP bonus.

But at the same time, do you really want to be level 40 and go into a warzone in level 31 gear? Or even 35? Or 37?

The answer is no.

And unless you PVP while leveling, then your toon will be in a very bad spot once they hit level 60.

So you keep your gear up and that means upgrading the mods every two levels if you can. Sure you can make an argument that this gear upgrade isn't necessary for your companion of choice, but at the same time I would argue that by not doing it your companion becomes less effective.

So pvp when you upgrade your gear, still, a few levels don't make much difference if you bolster right. Idk how it matters what you have pvp'd by the time you get to 60. All you "need" to do is enough pvp to max out your wz comms so you can get a jump on lev 60 pvp gear.

In the end you are talking about the difference between being effective with gear ~5 levels lower, though having to heal between mobs more, and roflstomping all enemies with on level gear lol.

12 comms each mission is plenty.

The answer is no.

So you don't PvP with outdated gear. Wait until you update your gear and then PvP for a few levels. Then go back and do a couple of planets so you can get the comms to update you and your companion. Then go and PvP again with current gear.

The x12 is a PvE bonus, and it gives PvE coms that are perfectly adequate, rather more than adequate, for PvE content. PvP coms can be used to up your gear if you want extra updated stuff. Trying to complain that PvE doesn't give enough coms for PvP is braindead, use the PvP coms if you need to stay updated for PvP. You can't say "I'm saving all my PvP coms and not using any, so I expect my PvE quest rewards to be big enough to gear me for PvE and PvP so that I don't have to spend PvP coms for PvP necessities" :rolleyes:

The answer is no.

Nothing in this post makes any sense to me.

1) If you hit 55 before you are done with content, you still get XP you just don't get 12x XP. You still need XP to get to 60, so having more than Rishi and Yavin to do it is actually a positive, not a negative. I was 57 when I hit Rishi doing literally just class missions.

2) It doesn't matter what lever your gear is in lowbie PvP. There are ways to abuse bolster, but I never needed them to win warzones on lowbies before. 12x has nothing to do with this.

3) No need to PvP prior to 60. Sure, you can have comms for entry level gear, but bolster is plenty to make you relevant until you get a set (which takes what, a week?). Just make sure you augment whatever you can to take advantage of those extra stats.

I upgrade mods every 10 levels, same with my companion, and have way more coms than I need and have no problem killing anything in the class quest. Upgrading mods every level is retardedly unnecessary.

That's how I've been doing it as well.