As a single player game, SWTOR is great

DarthWoad

I love "Instancing"!! I am so sick and tired of ppl KS'ing my quest kills or line-up for hours just to kill a single quest boss.

Even though it does feel kinda lonely sometimes, as long as I can find other players to participate in "multi-player" aspect of the game (FP, OP, PvP... etc), I really don't mind.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love "Instancing"!! I am so sick and tired of ppl KS'ing my quest kills or line-up for hours just to kill a single quest boss.

Even though it does feel kinda lonely sometimes, as long as I can find other players to participate in "multi-player" aspect of the game (FP, OP, PvP... etc), I really don't mind.

Funnily enough, no amount of "instancing" will eliminate the possibility of people stealing kills / nodes / mission items / whatever. I've seen it happening already in the game. So that argument really doesn't stand in favour of "instancing" the "exterior" gameworld.

Edited by Tarka

How much extra a hour do bioware emplyees get paid to post?

Im not comparing this game to wow because its different ( although some mechanics may be the same) and when people do compare to wow its like comparing cod to battlefield. Cod had guns then battlefield put guns in omg they copied cod. just no.

Battlefield came first. In my mind, CoP copied BF, but hey two different games and has nothing to do with TOR at all!

As for the actual question, I feel like it's a great single player experience when I'm playing solo. I feel that way in WoW and any other MMO. But when I play with other people, it feels like a multiplayer game, and there are other elements that make it feel like an MMORPG to me.

Solo = single. Playing and leveling solo = single player. Playing and leveling with others/friends = multiplayer.

Mediocre in which ways?

Please dont' take this as an attack, but I'm curious:

What exactly is it about this game that is not worth a sub in your opinion?

I have my own reasons for thinking that perhaps you're right, but I'd like to hear yours :)

The missing basic MMO features makes it a mediocre MMO, what makes it not worth subbing (imo) is that there is no open world PvP, planets are too big and there are too many planets, population is spread too thin, the game just launched and there are already planets with only 20 players, you cant even find enough ppl for heroics, forget about finding enemy players, even the endgame superawesome pvp world we were promised (illum) is a fraud, no point even going there besides daily/weekly quests

so no, why would you pay a sub for this game ? i honestly dont understand, are you just going to make new chars and the same quests over and over again till you get bored or they add a new flashpoint ? :rolleyes:

Edited by Shortcake

Solo = single. Playing and leveling solo = single player. Playing and leveling with others/friends = multiplayer.

Agreed. These days, it's all about providing players with options that can possibly suit their own particular playstyle.

Options are good.

Options help to make a playerbase happy.

And a happy playerbase = money.

No troll

The story is great and so is the content (for a single player game). However as I barely see anyone else in the game at the moment, I cant really call it a multiplayer game. Instancing is so stupid, makes the game feel dead, and so its hard to group up with people when theres only 20 others on your planet, despite you waiting 2 hoours to get onto the server.

I'm paying £9 a month for this, I want this game to prove to me im getting my moneys worth. But at the moment, it seems to be failing in doing so. I dont know what Bioware have done. They put MM in front of ORPG for money or what?

Im not comparing this game to wow because its different ( although some mechanics may be the same) and when people do compare to wow its like comparing cod to battlefield. Cod had guns then battlefield put guns in omg they copied cod. just no.

Does anyone else agree that its a fantastic single player experience so far?

yes it is a really good single player game. :D

The missing basic MMO features makes it a mediocre MMO, what makes it not worth subbing (imo) is that there is no open world PvP, planets are too big and there are too many planets, population is spread too thin, the game just launched and there are already planets with only 20 players, you cant even find enough ppl for heroics, forget about finding enemy players, even the endgame superawesome pvp world we were promised (illum) is a fraud, no point even going there besides daily/weekly quests

so no, why would you pay a sub for this game ? i honestly dont understand, are you just going to make new chars and the same quests over and over again ?

I'm not a PVP fan, so I haven't looked into it much at all. But I thought there was supposed to be "PVP Lakes" which were outdoor world areas that allowed for PVP?

Did they not materialise? Are they crap? I'm sorry to hear about Ilum as well.

Planets being too big? Seriously? If anything I'd say certain planets weren't big enough to make the game "feel" like a set of virtual worlds (e.g. Tatooine and Alderaan are too small in my opinion).

As for the population spread, I do agree that something needs to be done on THAT score. A lack of population is a BIG contributing factor to making an MMO feel like an MMO or not.

I hope for your sake (and others) that Bioware deal with the "openworld PVP" issue :)

Edited by Tarka

However as I barely see anyone else in the game at the moment, I cant really call it a multiplayer game.

Totally disagree. Not sure what server you're on but I see other players all the time, have run tons of groups with other players and often have to fight over quest items, bosses, etc. with other players.

Totally disagree. Not sure what server you're on but I see other players all the time, have run tons of groups with other players and often have to fight over quest items, bosses, etc. with other players.

It can depend on a LOT of things as to whether someone sees lots of players or not.

I think that perhaps Bioware have dropped a clanger on some servers by spreading populations too thin.

I'm not going to say that SWTOR is a guaranteed success, but it appears that you are not paying much attention to what's already going on in the world. The fact is that people are already doing paying 15 dollars a month for other MMO's using similar features.

• Can SWTOR tank after 6 months? Possibly.
  • Can SWTOR continue to achieve success after 6 months? Possibly.

The ball is in Bioware's court. Launching an MMO with a million players is one thing, retaining interest is another.

So pronouncing the product as a failure at this point is essentially futile. And quite possibly, incorrect.

EA - Bioware put too much money in this game to let it die. Bioware will deliver, they just can't fail.

EA - Bioware put too much money in this game to let it die. Bioware will deliver, they just can't fail.

They very well can fail. We're all simply hoping they don't. The list of things they need to address "Soon" is extreeeeeemely long.

so no, why would you pay a sub for this game ? i honestly dont understand, are you just going to make new chars and the same quests over and over again till you get bored or they add a new flashpoint ? :rolleyes:

You are trolling right ?

Yeah you clearly know what you are talking about but missing a big big big point.... the game is only 6 days old. In a month, all of your points about the lack of people will be completly irrelevant.

It was obvious to me that you can't expect everyone to rush to 50 in 1 week... it seems I was wrong.

People are crying when the worlds are not big enough, and now because they are wayyy too much huge.

/facepalm

It's KOTOR 3 with IRC functions...

^ for sure. and I love it. this is what I was hoping for. Playing a KoToR and having a reason to keep playing once the single player leveling part is done. If that is what you are looking for this is the game for you, I sometimes dont even like being in vent with friends while I play.

I could use more world PvP encounters though :p

Edited by soso

They very well can fail. We're all simply hoping they don't. The list of things they need to address "Soon" is extreeeeeemely long.

I know, theres thousands of minor bugs but I have faith. :sul_angel:

Seriously, even with the bugs, the game is very enjoyable. And IF the game fails, it will be because and only because of the lack of end-game content and Bioware is aware of that.

Edited by Netwar

this is a great single player game. All the multi part stuff... wait. what multi palyer stuff? This is only a single player game, and the "Players" you meet, are like another companion, you dont really talk to one another, just do and act, and then on your way.

thats completley up to the players if they want to talk or not.. the multi player options are there if you want it.. and its really easy to get parties if you just put in some minor effort. I think they set the content up for leveling almost perfect they just need to refine some things.

I find it easy to find groups. Some times people wont want to share the story part so talk to NPC's and dont want me to join in (but thats fine). That said I am more than happy with a single player game with MMO at later levels. When playing other MMO's I have seldom grouped with people, however as many people have said it might be nice if for flashpoints, they had a nice simple - Join flash point queue - I can hit to join and when avaliable can be thrown in with my friends.

I find it easy to find groups. Some times people wont want to share the story part so talk to NPC's and dont want me to join in (but thats fine). That said I am more than happy with a single player game with MMO at later levels. When playing other MMO's I have seldom grouped with people, however as many people have said it might be nice if for flashpoints, they had a nice simple - Join flash point queue - I can hit to join and when avaliable can be thrown in with my friends.

I agree about the FP queue but then again we have been spoiled. there were MANY MANY years of MMO history where this was not even a thought on anyones mind. the first couple FPs are worth doing for sure but it seems to me the 25-40 FPs lack the amount of story and interactions the first few had. more just running through an area killing heroic mobs and getting some loot.