Kaggath tournament & faction discussion thread

LadyKulvax

I actually like the idea of using Silenceo's conquest thread calculations for fleets, or creating them using the battlegrounds template.

As Aurbere will no doubt inform you I've found quite the interesting and stupidly overpowered fleet, and there are a few others I can see that are also noticeably stronger than anything anyone else could pick.

I'd prefer a more even battlefield than one that favours the first person to pick the best fleet.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like the idea of using Silenceo's conquest thread calculations for fleets, or creating them using the battlegrounds template.

Eeeeh... Might need improvement if it was to be used in such a way... :o :o :o

As Aurbere will no doubt inform you I've found quite the interesting and stupidly overpowered fleet, and there are a few others I can see that are also noticeably stronger than anything anyone else could pick.

I'd prefer a more even battlefield than one that favours the first person to pick the best fleet.

No one else has any thoughts on this?

Also how do people feel about the Jedi Generals? I've been debating Shaak Ti on comic vine for this tournament (I just posted my opening argument here if you're curious) and while looking for sources on her I've noticed a lot of impressive accolades about her tactical ingenuity, especially in regards to Kamino.... Was wondering how people viewed the Jedi generals in general, no pun intended.

She seems like a good candidate for a faction...

Also how do people feel about the Jedi Generals? I've been debating Shaak Ti on comic vine for this tournament (I just posted my opening argument here if you're curious) and while looking for sources on her I've noticed a lot of impressive accolades about her tactical ingenuity, especially in regards to Kamino.... Was wondering how people viewed the Jedi generals in general, no pun intended.

IMO, the Jedi Generals should be some of the best tacticians, considering that they are usually at a disadvantage in every battle they fight, yet they still win. Quite a few of the Jedi Generals are renowned for tactical skill, so they would be viable in a Kaggath.

Shaak Ti is a pretty good choice. Plo Koon is better. :rak_03:

Also, I'll read that opening argument when I get back home today.

On the first point, while I am unsure what exact system to use, I agree that the old system of just picking entire fleets and armies is not perfect. It can both lead to imbalances and imho is really restrictive and limiting. Personally I would prefer to use a more fleshed out version of the Battleground system for creating amies and navies.

As for the second point, I personally am really not a fan of the Jedi Generals. AFAIK they have no tactical skills except for TWC's retarded wanking. Personally Id take an actual commander any day of the week.

IMO, the Jedi Generals should be some of the best tacticians, considering that they are usually at a disadvantage in every battle they fight, yet they still win. Quite a few of the Jedi Generals are renowned for tactical skill, so they would be viable in a Kaggath.

Shaak Ti is a pretty good choice. Plo Koon is better. :rak_03:

Also, I'll read that opening argument when I get back home today.

Cool, let me know what you think.

And I agree with Aurbere personally, the Jedi are raised in the temple to serve the republic, they're trained in warfare just as they are in diplomacy. It stands to reason they're good commanders, when you combine their precognition with actual tactical ability. Not all of them, but the greats are obviously going to be very effective commanders...

Cool, let me know what you think.

And I agree with Aurbere personally, the Jedi are raised in the temple to serve the republic, they're trained in warfare just as they are in diplomacy. It stands to reason they're good commanders, when you combine their precognition with actual tactical ability. Not all of them, but the greats are obviously going to be very effective commanders...

They are good commanders. Heck, Plo Koon himself was legendary for his leadership skills. Obi-Wan and Anakin were legends that surpassed even Mace Windu and Yoda because of their heroics.

Mace Windu, Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin, Plo Koon, and Shaak Ti, were all renowned for their abilities as leaders and military tacticians. I'd dare to say that the Republic would have fallen if not for them, provided Sidious played for keeps Seppy-side.

Edit: Solid opener, Sel. It's not what I would have done (I would have drawn more blood), but it gets the point across in far less words than I would have used. I tend to ramble. Still, strong start. Finish him off in the next one, though.

Edited by Aurbere

They are good commanders. Heck, Plo Koon himself was legendary for his leadership skills. Obi-Wan and Anakin were legends that surpassed even Mace Windu and Yoda because of their heroics.

Mace Windu, Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin, Plo Koon, and Shaak Ti, were all renowned for their abilities as leaders and military tacticians. I'd dare to say that the Republic would have fallen if not for them, provided Sidious played for keeps Seppy-side.

Edit: Solid opener, Sel. It's not what I would have done (I would have drawn more blood), but it gets the point across in far less words than I would have used. I tend to ramble. Still, strong start. Finish him off in the next one, though.

Hmm, I wasn't aware Plo was such the celebrated commander, I know Ti was given war medals that were so rare they were displayed in the temple though.

And eh, I could have preempted his arguments, taken him down from the start and changed 2,000 words into 20,000, but I enjoy the dance too much. Plus I haven't seen this guy debate before, I don't want to scare someone off Star Wars debating for life.

Hmm, I wasn't aware Plo was such the celebrated commander, I know Ti was given war medals that were so rare they were displayed in the temple though.

And eh, I could have preempted his arguments, taken him down from the start and changed 2,000 words into 20,000, but I enjoy the dance too much. Plus I haven't seen this guy debate before, I don't want to scare someone off Star Wars debating for life.

Plo Koon was legendary for his leadership, rallying the disheartened Republic troops to an unlikely and miraculous victory.--Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

Like Rancisis, Koon had a keen mind for military strategy.--Cloak of Deception

So, yeah, legendary leadership, and compared to one of the Order's greatest military tacticians. Good stuff, but maybe not as good as those medals.

Aw, you're so nice. Carry on then. :)

Plo Koon was legendary for his leadership, rallying the disheartened Republic troops to an unlikely and miraculous victory.--Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

Like Rancisis, Koon had a keen mind for military strategy.--Cloak of Deception

So, yeah, legendary leadership, and compared to one of the Order's greatest military tacticians. Good stuff, but maybe not as good as those medals.

Aw, you're so nice. Carry on then. :)

Idk, I'm kind of a massive Ti fangirl, so not quite objective on the matter.

Definitely an option for a light side faction, if I can't convince Beni to allow Talzin.

Idk, I'm kind of a massive Ti fangirl, so not quite objective on the matter.

Definitely an option for a light side faction, if I can't convince Beni to allow Talzin.

Koon and Ti in one faction would actually be really good. They know each other really well, and they've worked together in the past.

Perhaps something along the lines of this:

Fleet Type - War, Skirmish, Stealth

Strength - Major, Minor, Singular

Style - Battle line, Command, Support, Repair, Covert, Guerrilla, Fodder, Droid, Role

Cost - Add variables, decide numbers, figure roles, tactics, ect

Just a small outline that I had on top of my head, though I am unsure how it would work yet, but just something that allows more customization perhaps and have a set total cost depending on how advanced the ships are. Then figure out all the pieces, which then allow people to pick ships from the fleets they want and use them in certain ways.

As for the logic of it... Meh, leave that to Beni! :rolleyes:

Been considering this faction:

Alignment for the preservation of the Republic

Leadership:

Head-of-State: Jedi Master Mace Windu

Second-in-Command: Supreme Commander Jace Malcom

Ally: Battlemaster of Tython

Ally: Marshall Commander Cody

-------------

Supporters:

Supplier: Kuat Drive Yards

Organisation: Republic Strategic Information Service

--------------

Military:

Army:

Minor Ground Force: Republic Special Operations Brigade

Minor Ground Force: Republic Special Forces Division

Navy:

Minor Naval Fleet: Open Circle Fleet

Minor Naval Fleet:

Edited by LadyKulvax

Who is the better pick? Garza, Malcom or the Trooper protag? Concerning both tactics and combat ability.

Probably Malcom....maybe Trooper, but tbh it would be hard to gauge the protag considering the protag isn't an actual character, so we have no real way of knowing just what they can/could or want to do. Plus the Trooper protag seems more squad based, not commanding entire armies or what have you.

Although Q as I seem to notice many factions having TOR or Kotor related troops or peoples. Any particular reason?

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

A mix of TOR's special forces and PT's special forces should be very intetesting and very hard to crack IMO, it's all about getting them strong enough leadership and hopefully a good TOR Republic fleet.

Tbh I'm not really overly impressed with TOR SpecForces. But this is probably moreso because I don't have much info and what info and things I have seen, it just seems standard with what other Specs do or the others can do it based on what they have, some better even. Well that and there seems to be only Havoc squad that is distinguished, others just have hype around them for the most part.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

They have the durability and blitz operation ability I am looking for, they are also quite clearly just as good in a fight as the SOB, Selenial didn't elaborate on the strengths of other groups besides Havoc which having played through is only one of many great squads in the division.

They have the durability and blitz operation ability I am looking for, they are also quite clearly just as good in a fight as the SOB, Selenial didn't elaborate on the strengths of other groups besides Havoc which having played through is only one of many great squads in the division.

You mean in the Kaggath?