Why did we have to kill malgus? (Possible spoilers?)

Makrogai

He's the poster boy of Swtor yet they kill him off, such an odd choice. Im sure that Im not the only one who thought he was awesome, I bet 90% thought the same.

An empire where Malgus is the emperor, I dont see what could go wrong. The Empire was tearing itself apart, he was right. And the emperor is trying to destroy the world. He could probably destroy ANY sith on the dark council if he wanted to, what is it not to like about this guy?

He WRECKED satele shan 1v1 Twice, he also completely destroyed coruscant.

By lightsaber skills, he's one of the most powerful combatants alive.

He's not an Idiot, he does have ideas on certain things etc.

Please, I beg on my kness, let him survive. Would be awesome if Darth ravage had the upper hand and was able to kill Darth Marr, then suddenly Malgus kicks down the dark council door and kills Ravage. Malgus tells that his Idea was right, that the empire is destroying itself. Marr considers this and redeems him. Malgus goes on about the emperor going against everyone, that they need some true backbone in the imperial army.

Malgus is promoted to Darth of Military, and leads a war against the emperor. The player (If you're on the sith side) goes with him into an Operation where Malgus will assist empire players (Satele shan if Republic) Against the Emperor. After malgus defeates the emperor, The darth council kneels before him thanking him for his deeds and that everything he had said from the beginning was true. Lana beniko is given a spot on the dark council to fill out darth ravage, and Darth malgus is promoted to new emperor to destroy the republic.

Everyone lives happy ever after and Malgus is replaced as flagboy of the empire instead of Marr. Fin

wrecked satele shan? that seems a bit of an... over statement.

as for why he had to die, because he was a direct threat to the characters. ignoring the republic for a minute, remember the BH and IA where simply obeying orders, but both the SW and SI had their hard earned power bases outright threatened by the coup. do you think Malgus would be the type of man to step back and let the dark council run his empire for him?

Edited by BrianDavion

Like any other Sith before him, Malgus sought power, but the power he sought was the Emperor's power. He sought to surplant the Dark Council, bypass the Dark Council power structure. Do you REALLY believe, that approximately 8 (by this point 3 or 4 Dark Council members have been killed by the cowardly Republic) powerful Dark Council members are gonna roll over and let him be Emperor?

HELL F**KING NO!

That traitor needed to die, and the Empire's forces made sure of it. If Malgus followed the path to power, like any other powerful Sith, he would have become a Dark Council member, from there, he would have, competed with Marr, Nox, Ravage and Mortis for supremacy on the Dark Council. He would have had a LOT of influence, and would have had a better chance to become Emperor - competing with Marr, Nox, Ravage, and Mortis for the title.

Then and ONLY THEN would it be viable to have him rally and lead the Empire against the former Emperor. But he tried to take a short cut...

Edited by WorldSmasher

He's the poster boy of Swtor yet they kill him off, such an odd choice. Im sure that Im not the only one who thought he was awesome, I bet 90% thought the same.

An empire where Malgus is the emperor, I dont see what could go wrong. The Empire was tearing itself apart, he was right. And the emperor is trying to destroy the world. He could probably destroy ANY sith on the dark council if he wanted to, what is it not to like about this guy?

Please, I beg on my kness, let him survive. Would be awesome if Darth ravage had the upper hand and was able to kill Darth Marr, then suddenly Malgus kicks down the dark council door and kills Ravage. Malgus tells that his Idea was right, that the empire is destroying itself. Marr considers this and redeems him. Malgus goes on about the emperor going against everyone, that they need some true backbone in the imperial army.

Malgus is promoted to Darth of Military, and leads a war against the emperor. The player (If you're on the sith side) goes with him into an Operation where Malgus will assist empire players (Satele shan if Republic) Against the Emperor. After malgus defeates the emperor, The darth council kneels before him thanking him for his deeds and that everything he had said from the beginning was true. Lana beniko is given a spot on the dark council to fill out darth ravage, and Darth malgus is promoted to new emperor to destroy the republic.

Everyone lives happy ever after and Malgus is replaced as flagboy of the empire instead of Marr. Fin

Here are a couple of problems with this:

Nox and Marr are uneasy allies. Nox would let Ravage know, you're gonna be up against Marr AND Nox, buddy. Stand down.

All Council members present would instantly pile on Malgus. He wouldn't get a word in edgewise.

The Dark Council already acknowledged this and has implemented many of his ideas.

If Malgus had followed the normal path to power, he'd be sitting on the Dark Council already. Malgus miscalculated, and overreached. He's paid for his treachery. End of story.

Edited by WorldSmasher

No offence, you have interesting ideas there, but in all honesty, I'm glad Malgus is dead. I hope he stays dead. I didn't care for the character at all...he's pompous, arrogant...and while I realize many Sith are, something about his delivery rubbed me the wrong way. I've never been a fan of his. In fact I hated him with the flaming passion of a thousand suns, and would dance on his grave if it was real, and I knew where it was. :)

I would much prefer to see Darth Marr take over as the head of the Dark Council or Emperor. He's calm, collected, intelligent and is still willing to give aliens a chance to prove themselves. I also think he's greatly respected. Malgus never earned my respect.

I don't want to see anything happen to Ravage, because he's one of my favorites as well, and I would miss him. I don't believe Lana Beniko deserves to be on the Dark Council. Heck, she barely deserves to be Minister of Sith Intelligence.

I wouldn't be living happily ever efter if Malgus came back. I'd completely hate it. I'm behind Marr, all the way! <3

No offence, you have interesting ideas there, but in all honesty, I'm glad Malgus is dead. I hope he stays dead. I didn't care for the character at all...he's pompous, arrogant...and while I realize many Sith are, something about his delivery rubbed me the wrong way. I've never been a fan of his. In fact I hated him with the flaming passion of a thousand suns, and would dance on his grave if it was real, and I knew where it was. :)

I would much prefer to see Darth Marr take over as the head of the Dark Council or Emperor. He's calm, collected, intelligent and is still willing to give aliens a chance to prove themselves. I also think he's greatly respected. Malgus never earned my respect.

I don't want to see anything happen to Ravage, because he's one of my favorites as well, and I would miss him. I don't believe Lana Beniko deserves to be on the Dark Council. Heck, she barely deserves to be Minister of Sith Intelligence.

I wouldn't be living happily ever efter if Malgus came back. I'd completely hate it. I'm behind Marr, all the way! <3

Nox for Emperor! Give your vote to Nox!

First saying he wrecked Satele twice 1v1 was indeed a bit of an exaggeration.

After that as others said, it was in his character to do what he did AND that would ultimately doom him. He is not like Marr. Malgus did indeed see the problems within the Empire BUT he believed that he, and only he, was the one who could "fix" things. In the labyrinth that is Sith Politics you can only pull this off if you can take on all comers. He was NOT that guy. Now if he would have done what Marr did, see the truth BUT play the game, he may well be on top of the heap at the moment. Marr is the defacto leader of the Empire, defacto only because he doesn't want the throne but no one else can lead the way he does and he is willing to play the game. If he wanted the throne Marr would probably have it. Similarly if Malgus had just played the game he could well have the throne.

This is what people miss when they look at the Sith. They are NOT all about just killing the weak and rising through strength. Its a lot like Ancient Rome or the Italian City States in the Renaissance. You can be individually the strongest, but if you fail to make the right alliances and piss off the wrong people you will go down.

Edited by Ghisallo

Nox for Emperor! Give your vote to Nox!

I have a Nox...and a Occlus and an Imperius. And mine are good with Marr ;D

Actually, as a player character...would I want my Nox (my main) to be Emperor? Interesting question. There is a certain appeal to it...and yet, I'm not sure I'd want that much responsibility. And of course, the closer you are to the top, the closer you are to getting pushed off too. I wouldn't say no, if Nox was given a shot at it, but, I don't see that happening, so I remain in Marr's camp. :)

Some possibilities, but I'd do it a little differently.

Leading up to the final battle, Marr has noticed that things are going right, far more than the universe normally allows. In fact - somehow Lana and Theron managed to find out a LOT about a conspiracy nobody knew about. This is good, but suspicious.

Then in preparation for the big fight, another ship joins the armada, and it's master is revealed. Malgus. "But you're dead!" "(evil sith grin) Not quite. We can talk later, but now, we have a mad emperor to defeat". Big fight, boom boom, lots of death but in the end, the emperor is defeated, gone bye-bye.

After the fight, Malgus explains. He'd been in a deep force coma, some of his followers took him away and helped him recover. In his recovery, lots of time for soul searching, and he realized he made serious mistakes. He grabbed for power too soon, and alienated those who had been his allies. He thought it had been to save the Empire, but it nearly destroyed it. So he kept his revival a secret, working behind the scenes to protect it and build a power structure."

"So now we fight, Malgus? You still want to be the emperor? I do not trust you."

"I try not to make the same mistake twice. Let us... create an emperor. Never seen, rarely heard from except to support our actions. While we rebuild the Empire together and win the war. The three of us, we are more alike than any would prefer to admit. Together, with (insert player character name here) we will be unstoppable."

Edited by GadgetDon

Some possibilities, but I'd do it a little differently.

Leading up to the final battle, Marr has noticed that things are going right, far more than the universe normally allows. In fact - somehow Lana and Theron managed to find out a LOT about a conspiracy nobody knew about. This is good, but suspicious.

Then in preparation for the big fight, another ship joins the armada, and it's master is revealed. Malgus. "But you're dead!" "(evil sith grin) Not quite. We can talk later, but now, we have a mad emperor to defeat". Big fight, boom boom, lots of death but in the end, the emperor is defeated, gone bye-bye.

After the fight, Malgus explains. He'd been in a deep force coma, some of his followers took him away and helped him recover. In his recovery, lots of time for soul searching, and he realized he made serious mistakes. He grabbed for power too soon, and alienated those who had been his allies. He thought it had been to save the Empire, but it nearly destroyed it. So he kept his revival a secret, working behind the scenes to protect it and build a power structure."

"So now we fight, Malgus? You still want to be the emperor? I do not trust you."

"I try not to make the same mistake twice. Let us... create an emperor. Never seen, rarely heard from except to support our actions. While we rebuild the Empire together and win the war. The three of us, we are more alike than any would prefer to admit. Together, with (insert player character name here) we will be unstoppable."

You know, originally, he was going to be brought back.

In the original False Emperor Flashpoint, you knocked him into the pit instead of killing him outright.

They changed the mechanics to killing him outright MUCH later on because you could get him to kill himself.

But if you ever get a chance to talk to one of the story devs who was fired when EA took over, you'd find out they originally had much bigger plans for Malgus.

Darth Marr > Darth Malgus

I'm fine with where we are, and Marr has always been pragmatic, and better balanced, then Malgus was.

If there was any character I wish they hadn't killed off it was Grand Moff Kilran, it would be nice to have a notable Force Blind Imperial that we see often, and his VA was brilliant IMHO.

Marr makes Malgus look like a kindergartener.

What the hell did Marr do that was so impressive. All he has done is to talk all the time, he fought revan, IM sure malgus would have destroyed Revan 1v1 when it comes to lightsaber skills

What the hell did Marr do that was so impressive. All he has done is to talk all the time, he fought revan, IM sure malgus would have destroyed Revan 1v1 when it comes to lightsaber skills

He wasn't a cliche caricature, for one...

Darth Marr is the one keeping the Dark Council from tearing itself apart. He's the chief strategist leading the war against the Republic. He is the one, working with Darth Nox, that is keeping the Republic off balance, and the Empire afloat. That's what he's done.

Malgus would have been a better choice than most of the other xenophobic Sith, but in the end he was still in it for himself. He was a true Sith in that regard. I think his demise was far more painful back when Marr hadn't stepped up to his current role yet, and the Empire was pretty much left leaderless.

Marr's definitely a rare breed among the Sith. He's level headed and collected. A brilliant strategist and a patriot, not a raving psychopath or a backstabbing weasel like so many of the others. He's pretty much the leader the Empire needs, and the reason the war is still ongoing, instead of ending with the Empire losing to the Republic.

Besides, I always imagined my Nox absorbed some of the remnants of Malgus' alien army once he bit the dust. After all he's already got an alien girlfriend and an alien apprentice/bodyguard, and he leans more towards meritocracy rather than just believing someone is inferior based on their species.

Edited by Callaron

Darth Marr > Darth Malgus

I'm fine with where we are, and Marr has always been pragmatic, and better balanced, then Malgus was.

If there was any character I wish they hadn't killed off it was Grand Moff Kilran, it would be nice to have a notable Force Blind Imperial that we see often, and his VA was brilliant IMHO.

Kilran was pretty awesome indeed. I loved his banter each time you crossed paths with him. :D

Regardless of whatever story they wrote for him in the end, the point is that Malgus was originally marketed to be the poster boy of the Empire faction:

-CE Malgus statue

-Malgus holostatue trainer

-Malgus briefs you in the flashpoints SM cutscenes

-Malgus appears in the cinematic cutscenes

the Republic equivalent of all this being Satele Shan

and then boom, they kill him off, negating his "importance" they tried to portray.

What if they had killed Satele Shan in a level 50 FP?

I will admit, I was surprised, the first time I played through those flashpoints.

Throughout the game, you have Satele and Jace Malcom, and their opposites were always Malgus and Rycus Kilran. Republic got to kill Malgus and Kilran, but Satele and Jace retain their plot immunity.

I will admit, I was surprised, the first time I played through those flashpoints.

Throughout the game, you have Satele and Jace Malcom, and their opposites were always Malgus and Rycus Kilran. Republic got to kill Malgus and Kilran, but Satele and Jace retain their plot immunity.

Well we know who ultimately wins the war, so...