Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

This was the first thing my GF, who is a relative MMO newcomer but loves her first MMO (Rift), noticed. She immediately went back to Rift, complaining that she "couldn't quite put her finger on it, except it feels 'clunky'". I had the same feeling, and now you've articulated it. I hope this does get fixed, but I fear something like this is in the core coding.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not played any PvP but I have noticed this in PvE. I am only level 6 (lol) so I have not played the game enough to consider it a significant issue. I can only imagine how ridiculous this would be in PvP. Even though all players have to deal with it you are clearly penalizing the more skilled PvPers.

As for the ability queue, I thought it was literally that, a queue. I'm really just getting my hands on this, but as a Jedi Knight I'm not able to auto attack so I have to keep pressing 1. With an action queue time of 1.0s I am able to press an ability command within 1 second of its cooling down and have it execute. If I set it to 0s no ability will execute if I press it while it is still cooling down. This leaves an obvious delay with dead time in between abilities unless you are a robot and can time cooldowns perfectly. Having an ability queue is pretty much the closest I can get to an auto attack from what I gather.

While I don't feel this is a totally game breaking issue. I can see how WoW vet's would be annoyed by this.

There is a problem here and I'm not sure if it was intended. The only reason I'm not freaking is that it's happening to everyone. And everyone is on the same field. That being said that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed or re-worked.

This def needs to be brought up to the dev's and have some sort of dev response from this.

184 pages and not a word from the devs on this issue? Thats a shame, it clearly has large support by the player base. Bump it to keep on the top of the forums. This is a major flaw and I 100% agree with the OP. Edited by Kashley

Ive already expressed my support for this thread and the fact that if this does not get fixed or at least mentioned, i will be simply cancelling. ive never even POSTED on an mmo forum before and i played most of them, this is the biggest issue for me by far.

Anyhow,

i was wondering if anyone with an educated guess (programming background) can simply provide their insight into whether this is something that is so difficult to fix, something that is impossible to fix due to being integral to the engine, or something that will most likely be adjusted easily?

Thank you

It can make the game feel clunky and unpolished, which is very contrasting to other more major aspects of the game and it's a very annoying thing indeed. The potential is high but unless combat is made smoother and more responsive I won't help but feel gyped slightly of my money. A comment from the developers SOON would be much appreciative.

For me PvE works great, feels fine. Flashpoints are fluid and fun and so is soloing.

PvP warzones on the other hand seem to have some kind of bug where abilities regularly fail to activate, have delays in casting, or characters are jumping around.

It's not an FPS or latency issue, both of these are fine on my end when these problems are occuring.

It seems to me to be a problem with PvP in particular and it needs to be fixed pronto.

Yes flashpoints might be fluid from a DPS perspective; however, if you try healing a higher level flashpoint you will know what we are talking about.

Is it possible Bioware recognizes the problem but due to the engine, specifically the animation connection (light saber to blaster bolt, saber to saber, etc.) that they can't actually fix this without changing some major dynamics of the engine?

Is it possible Bioware recognizes the problem but due to the engine, specifically the animation connection (light saber to blaster bolt, saber to saber, etc.) that they can't actually fix this without changing some major dynamics of the engine?

God I hope not, I just got a call informing me my new pc is ready... :(

If I had to chose between animation or combat responsiveness it would be the responsiveness hands down. If the issue is what you have suggested they need to change the engine dynamics in my opinion.

184 pages and not a word from the devs on this issue? Thats a shame, it clearly has large support by the player base. Bump it to keep on the top of the forums. This is a major flaw and I 100% agree with the OP.

I think they prefer Reddit over their own forums:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19827-reddit-ama-with-stephen-reid-on-december-28

Maybe someone can ask them why a 184-page thread about the responsiveness of gameplay goes untouched here.

Ive already expressed my support for this thread and the fact that if this does not get fixed or at least mentioned, i will be simply cancelling. ive never even POSTED on an mmo forum before and i played most of them, this is the biggest issue for me by far.

Anyhow,

i was wondering if anyone with an educated guess (programming background) can simply provide their insight into whether this is something that is so difficult to fix, something that is impossible to fix due to being integral to the engine, or something that will most likely be adjusted easily?

Thank you

There is some Programming discussion on page 25-50/80 or so I believe as well as 120-150 or so... either way I believe some of it has been touched upon. Sorry I cannot be more specific currently.

The game feels like you are playing with high MS/LAG its probably one of the only things that i have not liked about SWTOR but its such a big thing that its something that needs to be looked at.

The combat system has to work or the game just doesn't feel complete at all :(

I'm no expert but I have a feeling you may be correct in your assumption.

I play a Merc BH and I notice the issue all the time, particularly in Flashpoints. I even notice the lag just firing five consecutive Tracer Missiles where the cast bar seems out of sync with the animation and button press. It has the feeling sometimes, and not all the time I must stress, as if I'm playing a streamed game.

There's so many great aspects to this game it would be an almighty shame if they could not get the responsiveness and fluidity to a higher level. If it does stay like this I have serious doubts for the long term survival of the game.

So, am I enjoying the game? Absolutely! Can I see myself playing SWTOR beyond a few months? As it stand now definitely not.

I think they prefer Reddit over their own forums:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19827-reddit-ama-with-stephen-reid-on-december-28

Maybe someone can ask them why a 184-page thread about the responsiveness of gameplay goes untouched here.

We just need to keep the thread alive and keep the discussion going.

In my experience with high profile games like this, the PR departments and/or project managers will never actually discuss this particular issue. It seems to be a rule of thumb in the video game industry that the devs never discuss actual problems they don't intend to fix or don't know if they are going to fix.

I have a really bad feeling that this issue will never be resolved. You could say I am a pessimist, but my guess is that it is a fundamental issue with the game's engine and it is not going to be easily fixed. Xcore pointed out all the games with ability delay and there was never an instance of any of those games getting it fixed. Warhammer Online pretty much only needed to fix that one issue to stay afloat and they failed rather than fix it.

Unfortunately, and sadly, I think this game will eventually collapse to this issue as well.

We just need to keep the thread alive and keep the discussion going.

In my experience with high profile games like this, the PR departments and/or project managers will never actually discuss this particular issue. It seems to be a rule of thumb in the video game industry that the devs never discuss actual problems they don't intend to fix or don't know if they are going to fix.

I have a really bad feeling that this issue will never be resolved. You could say I am a pessimist, but my guess is that it is a fundamental issue with the game's engine and it is not going to be easily fixed. Xcore pointed out all the games with ability delay and there was never an instance of any of those games getting it fixed. Warhammer Online pretty much only needed to fix that one issue to stay afloat and they failed rather than fix it.

Unfortunately, and sadly, I think this game will eventually collapse to this issue as well.

How that would suck, I feel that this game could achieve greatness by simply fixing this issue.

I agree with the OP and many others throughout the thread. This is an important issue that wears on a gamer the more s/he plays. For competitive gaming it is essential that the competitors have absolute and immediate control of their characters actions. A lot of PvP requires reflexive abilities, and 0.2-0.5 seconds of delay does a lot to damage your chances for success.