Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Its ok, I think both of you guys should just agree to disagree, there won't be a winner with a last word and there doesn't need to be. You both have more in common than not probably (such as wanting SW:TOR to be the best game possible to take you away from WoW for good?) etc.

Look, its all good but this thread has been incredibly positive and fruitful, lets not have personal vendettas of trolling.

This. :)

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wanted to stop by and post an appreciation for this thread addressing a very serious issue with game mechanics and feel in an intelligent and thought-provoking manner. I don't condone the idea of cutting animations in order to allow for greater ability response due to my own personal bias against "ability spamming" (which I believe boils out the flavor in favor of mechanical interactions), but I understand and very much agree that the system as presented in the game now is flawed enough that it cannot be allowed to continue without some kind of alteration.

I will note that this has become one of the most posted threads on the forums thus far, trailing behind only the couple of threads started in response to poor server ques and early access wave launches. As such, I firmly believe the Bioware staff should take note of the interest invested by the community in this topic and the outcry for some kind of response. Not even a confirmation of a fix, but simply a recognition that the topic has been seen and is being considered.

This will be getting a 5 star rating from me, and I encourage you all to continue well designed insightful debates and discussions on the issue to encourage more awareness by both the community and the staff.

Quicker responsiveness is preferred. I have a bit of lag, but my abilities lagging has killed me several times. i don't think it is game breaking at all though, it is a minor frustration. It just requires a bit of perceptiveness and foresight. So long as you know your enemy, its easy to predict what to do.

Its ok, I think both of you guys should just agree to disagree, there won't be a winner with a last word and there doesn't need to be. You both have more in common than not probably (such as wanting SW:TOR to be the best game possible to take you away from WoW for good?) etc.

Look, its all good but this thread has been incredibly positive and fruitful, lets not have personal vendettas of trolling.

I agree. I don't dis-like TripleOG, I think he was trying to help, and I don't think he was a troll. I didn't like the way he was talking to me, but I'm sure he didn't like the way I was talking to him, so naturally I must excuse him, and I hope he does the same for me (though I fully understand if he does not).

It is so easy to get carried away with arguing on these forums...

I lost the plot anyway, I ended up just fighting for the sake of fighting.

I think if there is a real issue that people are having with the delay of combat, it is important, and needs to be fixed asap. I played warhammer and that delay was a real bummer, and essentially ruined the game. Bioware needs to address this officially, imo, because people will not tolerate it. I certainly want this game to succeed, and seeing Bioware jump on board with a response to something like this quickly would certainly increase my confidence in them.

I'm not really seeing the problem.

The "spell cast" for instant cast spells/abilities is based on the length of the animation of the ability, not on the Global Cool down. GET USED TO IT.

All spells/abilities you can queue up to .5 seconds before the last ability is finished.

I've never seen a problem with any 'ability delay', especially since you can queue them up.

Edited by iResist

I know dude. The sad part is, is that this kid just won't stop, even when he asked for people to "lay off". But, me trying to keep the thread on topic has done the opposite. Oh well, you won't see me respond to him anymore.

I'm trying to like you man, I'm trying ;)

For the record, you did make some good points! Let's be friends now :cool:

I'm not really seeing the problem.

The "spell cast" for instant cast spells/abilities is based on the length of the animation of the ability, not on the Global Cool down. GET USED TO IT.

All spells/abilities you can queue up to .5 seconds before the last ability is finished.

I've never seen a problem with any 'ability delay', especially since you can queue them up.

Im with you, I dont really see a problem.

What are you guys talking about? The fact that it has to finish the animation before it does anything else?

I also notice damage comes off the target way before the animation hits as well, it feels really strange compared to what I am used to (from wow). I suppose i will get used to it though, but anyone else find this strange when looking at enemy heath bars and animations.

I play a J Sent so not sure if it is more noticeable with Melee

How did the long time beta testers miss this is a bigger question mark.

They probably did not, but so much effort went into the animation system that fixing the situation is probably not trivial, so the left it as is as 'good enough' until they figure out what the heck to do.

What are you guys talking about? The fact that it has to finish the animation before it does anything else?

Yes.

The animations are the problem. In WoW, animations are clipped so that there is no delay whatsoever in ability usage. Gameplay comes first, cosmetic animations come second.

In SWTOR, if you're in the middle of an animation, you're essentially frozen. Not only does this cause the game to feel less responsive, but it also creates class imbalance between factions, since some animations of mirrored abilities take longer (Project vs Inquisitor equivalent, Mortar Volley vs Death from Above, etc.).

I don't think this is an issue that could kill the game, but I do believe it is VERY important if you want this game to come anywhere even remotely close to WoW's success.

Im with you, I dont really see a problem.

Essentially yes, that is a large part of the problem but by no means is that it... Please take time to read through the thread from as early as possible. You will see we as whole (all posters) have been able to evolve our understanding of this issue to some detail.

Dont be offended or discouraged, this is not easy to define, understand or solve but there is an issue and it is more than just the animation forcing to finish (though that is a very major part).

I also notice damage comes off the target way before the animation hits as well, it feels really strange compared to what I am used to (from wow). I suppose i will get used to it though, but anyone else find this strange when looking at enemy heath bars and animations.

I play a J Sent so not sure if it is more noticeable with Melee

Yes, don't get used to this... there is no excuse to have this in the game, it serves no realism, it is not a feature... demand better. How else will we evolve the standard of MMOs? Adapting is one thing but you should not adapt to failure...

Its all good bro. Maybe our reconciliation will inspire a dev to address this issues with a yellow post!

Here here!

I would love to see a dev respond on an issue that is clearly affecting so many. I know Bioware has it in them, and I know they can be awesome. This is their chance to prove it.

I started calling this the "Why the heck didn't my med probe go off?" problem during beta.

Despite the fact that this affects all levels of gameplay, this can most potentially make or break healing in the future. I sincerely hope we see a post from BioWare regarding this in the near future.

This is a matter of responsiveness above anything else. Even EverQuest, despite its age, was always completely responsive per the cast time of a spell.

Edited by HansBrolo