The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

SW:Rebels - season II, starts on June 20th

t-darko

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE RETURN OF CAPTAIN REX

I admit it, I got the shakes, fever and serious Star Wars abstinens, never have I wished the summer to go away before it comes . . . Just give me something . . . anything . . .

Just mainline the movie trailer on repeat. :p

Actually, I went to a movie theater and they showed it before the film I was seeing, even though I'd seen it a bunch of times online, seeing on the big screen gave it the 'wow' factor all over again.

Just mainline the movie trailer on repeat. :p

Actually, I went to a movie theater and they showed it before the film I was seeing, even though I'd seen it a bunch of times online, seeing on the big screen gave it the 'wow' factor all over again.

It's odd really, I never had any expectations on the PTs, well, it might have something to do with that I with my old VHS learnt to fast forward to the 'good stuff';), but this time it's different. I really would like to

tonight ...:eek:

http://www.starwars.com/video/star-wars-rebels-season-two-trailer

Edited by t-darko

So is SW: Rebels any good? Or is it another Clone Wars? Not that there weren't some interesting characters in Clone Wars, just trying to wrap my head around the overall feel. I have a TIE prototype Lego set that's from the Rebels series, trying to decide if I should try to watch it as that thing is fairly awesome.

So is SW: Rebels any good? Or is it another Clone Wars?

Depends, what was it you didn't like about Clone Wars in general?

Rebels has a lot of things in common with Clone Wars, and a good number of things that are different.

Some of the main differences:

• Rebels doesn't have any of the characters from the movies in its main cast, unlike Clone Wars.
  • Rebels stays focused on a single group of characters, unlike Clone Wars which shifted focus between various casts for each story arc (and within that one persistent group there is definitely a main character, so while some of the supporting cast get 'day in the limelight' episodes I wouldn't quite call it an ensemble show).
  • Rebels is targeted at a younger audience and has a generally lighter tone than the later seasons of Clone Wars with a few darker episodes here and there (although I would argue not that much lighter than early Clone Wars when Ahsoka was still calling Anaking "Skyguy" and we had episodes like Bombad Jedi).
  • Obviously the time shift has it focused on the Empire rather than the Republic / Separatist war.
  • The animation style is slightly different, not really noticeable to me unless you put up side-by-side comparisons, but some people really notice it and don't care for the change.

So is SW: Rebels any good? Or is it another Clone Wars? Not that there weren't some interesting characters in Clone Wars, just trying to wrap my head around the overall feel. I have a TIE prototype Lego set that's from the Rebels series, trying to decide if I should try to watch it as that thing is fairly awesome.

Best answer? watch it and decide for yourself.

Me personally? I loved it, was way better than clone wars:

When it's lighter, it is actually funny, rather than just silly (most of the time).

When it's darker, it feels a lot more significant, when things go bad for the good guys, it actually feels like something bad is happening, not just business as usual bad things like clone wars.

It is a single story arc, rather than a collection of mini arcs, making it feel a lot more cohesive

It also doesn't seem to have as many "filler" episodes. So much of clone wars just seemed totally irrelevant to the story progression, thanks largely to the Padme/Jar Jar/random clone arcs. Off the top of my head I can only think of two episodes that didn't really progress the story of rebels (Fighter Flight, Idiots Array) but since both were hilarious (in my opinion of course) it's forgiven.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't watched this show at all, is it "kiddy"? I mean it is on the Disney channel. Should I give it a chance?

Yes, it is pretty 'kiddy' - a little bit more so than the first season of Clone Wars if you've seen that (when Ahsoka was in full-blown "Hey, Sky-guy" mode), but not by much. If you can't stand that kind of show, then this one will probably grate on you.

That's not to say there aren't some legitimately dark moments and episodes throughout the first season, particularly episodes with the Inquisitor and the three-episode arc that ends the first season. From what we know of Season Two, it may be taking a turn for the darker there, too.

If you're on the fence about it, I'd say check out the two-part premier "Spark of Rebellion", which gives a fairly good read on the show's tone. If you're still not sure about it after that, then you can skip over episode three and check out either of the two extremes of how 'kiddy' vs how 'dark' it gets in episodes four and five respectively - "Fighter Flight" is about as juvenile as any episode in the first season that I can remember, and "Rise of the Old Masters" is about as dark. (While I'd generally suggest watching in order, either one of those episodes is easy to follow right after "Spark of Rebellion").

Edited by DarthDymond

Yeah, sorry but no Sabine, you should have died there...

Gah I hate this plot where the characters can't die, even if they took hits that should have killed them..

Anyway can't wait to see Vader start kicking all kinds of ****.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Yeah, sorry but no Sabine, you should have died there...

Gah I hate this plot where the characters can't die, even if they took hits that should have killed them..

Anyway can't wait to see Vader start kicking all kinds of ****.

Glad to see Vader is very powerful like he should be but yeah Sabine should be dead for sure, instead it pretty much looks like she just got knocked down.

And her armour isn't that good...

Maybe Mandalorian Iron plates and cortosis weave suit?

Mandalorian Iron isn't as good in canon as it was in Legends, you had TCW DeathWatch Mandos with the same or similar armor, dying to blaster pistol shots too.

In fact, Mando Iron is Legends thing not a canon thing.

So literally Mando armor is pretty much like any other armor save for a few other things on it that make it unique.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Mandalorian Iron isn't as good in canon as it was in Legends, you had TCW DeathWatch Mandos with the same or similar armor, dying to blaster pistol shots too.

In fact, Mando Iron is Legends thing not a canon thing.

So literally Mando armor is pretty much like any other armor save for a few other things on it that make it unique.

she's got some sweet blaster resistant paint on there lol