The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Hypercrate Platinum Packs!

Sounds like a good idea.

Many of the people who've bought hypercrates in the past have been sorely disappointed when they got nothing but ju... *coughs* "less desirable" items as reward for their investment.

Hopefully the Platinum packs will help alleviate that somewhat. :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignoring the fact these platinum crates are giving things far from Super Rare (Credit boosts?? Really) or the fact in one hypercrate, I got no platinum boxes, it sounds to me like Bioware are trying to give people another reason to buy hypercrates for the CHANCE of getting a platinum box which may or may not give a super rare. Well done Bioware. That is some inception type thinking right there by adding a new lottery inside another lottery. Chris Nolan would be impressed. :rolleyes:

I got a crap Tund Sorcerer Bracer in one, and a boots in another. TY Bioware, so generous of you.

- Your faithful crate buying customer

Perhaps....just perhaps, you could comment constructively. Instead of ************ about their generosity in making the free bonus they added unworthy of you, you might have stated that it wouldn't add any value to your hypercrate buying experience unless they reduced the loot table to include nothing but potentially valuable items or a potential full armor set, rather than a single piece. Though if they're as bad at predicting what will sell as I am, there is literally NO predicting what the community will find valuable. Considering I've paid over a million credits for armor sets that were "rare" while armor sets that are "super rare" can sometimes be dirt cheap. The same is true of mounts. Like I personally prefer the Twilight Vrake to the monocycle, but the Vrake is a cheap 1.7 mil on my server while the monocycle is this xpac's Jetpack.

There is never any accounting for taste. It's asking a bit much to expect the devs to read the fickle public's minds on more than a few major things. Like the jetpack was predictable. But when they tell you they are weighing the effectiveness of a FREE BONUS, it simply makes no sense to insult the entire idea without offering ideas to improve it unless you just don't want free stuff in future.

As for me....the only reason I get packs is for reputation so I can buy otherwise unavailable dyes. Otherwise, I am completely adverse to gambling on packs for items....I will farm credit boxes until there is no tomorrow in order to get exactly the items I want. But including a bonus with a really good chance of netting me at least ONE major item without much fuss, even if it was bind on pickup rather than sellable on the GTN, would make me reconsider my stance. People will pay if they can cheat the rng a bit.

I like the concept of these platinum packs, but all I got out of mine was a pair of pants, so certainly a more limited list of possible items might be nice, or if you are going to drop armor, drop a complete set maybe.

As a side note on the topic of making Hypercrates more rewarding, more rep items would be nice. I usually buy one hypercrate per release, and find that doesn't offer enough rep item to max out each series rep.

couple things i would like to see

2) the other thing would be make the platinum packs BOUND to the user, not sure I want to see these showing up on the GTN as individual packs. The item from the pack obey normal rules but the pack itself cannot be sold (otherwise people would never buy the regular packs and/or these packs would become excessively high priced compared to rest).

).

Got to disagree with that point myself. People should have the freedom to sell them as they see fit. It will end up with it's own market price and it will be higher than regular pack prices and will adjust over time as people get used to the risk vs reward.

I've not opened a new hypercrate myself yet ( didn't really like any of the new armour and I'm sure future packs will have variations of the monocycle ) so not sure how many you get per crate but I can't see it really hurting the 'normal' pack market overly much ( in fact it hasn't yet as you can't even find the normal GTN packs for sale regularly as of this morning on Harb and they've been up for over a week so must still be very popular ).

I got excited when I noticed!

Aaand then it gave me a Credit explosion. Bit of a letdown :p

I also agree with previous posts that the non-general xp boosts in the packs should go the way of the dodo.

I also agree with previous posts that the non-general xp boosts in the packs should go the way of the dodo.

Agreed as well, if you won't let us sell the stupid things to a vendor, get rid of them, no one wants them so its pointless to try selling them on the GTN. As it is right now, id rather get another companion gift instead, at least I can actually use /sell those. :(

I got excited when I noticed!

Aaand then it gave me a Credit explosion. Bit of a letdown :p

+1 for getting rid of the non-general xp boosts.

Agreed as well, if you won't let us sell the stupid things to a vendor, get rid of them, no one wants them so its pointless to try selling them on the GTN. As it is right now, id rather get another companion gift instead, at least I can actually use /sell those. :(

This! All those boosts are so pointless now with the general XP boost, you can't even give them away. I can see if there were still social boosts, and maybe add valor boost, since those are not covered in the general XP boosts, but the others are completely obsolete.

Hi all,

Here are some answers to some of the more common questions we have seen come up.

Are Platinum Packs going to change the drop rate of the packs themselves?

No, Pack drop rates will remain untouched. The Platinum Pack is simply an additional bonus pack with a more select set of items associated with it.

Is content within the Platinum Pack exclusive to the Platinum Pack?

No. All items obtained from a Platinum Pack can be obtained from the regular pack of the same name. The Platinum Pack simply gives an additional (and better) opportunity to obtain one of the more desirable items from the Pack.

What is the Bind rule for Platinum Packs?

Platinum Packs are Bind On Pickup. It is our goal to keep Platinum Packs as a bonus to the Hypercrate experience, and not a replacement of our existing packs. However, the contents of the Platinum Packs retain their normal bind rules.

Thank you for the feedback thus far!

What is the Platinum Pack?

The Platinum Pack is a new pack found in addition to the 24 Packs already received within a Hypercrate – think of these as bonus packs! Each Platinum Pack contains a random Super Rare or better item from the pack contents. So for the Deep Core Pack, this could include the Armored Coastal Varactyl, a piece of the Dark Legionnaire’s Armor Set, or the Throne of Enlightenment!

I really like this new concept and really hope you stick to it in the future I would even hope you add it to the old shipments that comes back from time to time. That said I definitely think the loot table of it is bugged like many have said and me we got items that does not fit your description. The loot table was better tweaked with the Grand Nightlife pack you released lately I think you should use this pack as an example to tweak the platinum pack. I understand that for new packs shipment it's hard to guess how the community will value what but there is some obvious things that can be excluded like credit items and crystals that are never very valued and for armor just a part is also obvious I think a whole set like others mentioned is the way to go.

Edited by Ulnor

Hi all,

Here are some answers to some of the more common questions we have seen come up.

Are Platinum Packs going to change the drop rate of the packs themselves?

No, Pack drop rates will remain untouched. The Platinum Pack is simply an additional bonus pack with a more select set of items associated with it.

Is content within the Platinum Pack exclusive to the Platinum Pack?

No. All items obtained from a Platinum Pack can be obtained from the regular pack of the same name. The Platinum Pack simply gives an additional (and better) opportunity to obtain one of the more desirable items from the Pack.

What is the Bind rule for Platinum Packs?

Platinum Packs are Bind On Pickup. It is our goal to keep Platinum Packs as a bonus to the Hypercrate experience, and not a replacement of our existing packs. However, the contents of the Platinum Packs retain their normal bind rules.

Thank you for the feedback thus far!

that pretty much covered every one of my questions word for word...I look forward to my continued support of these packs...as an aside, I'm going to need a bigger ship.

I really like the idea. I'm all for getting more for my money! As others have already mentioned, the items I got were a little underwhelming though. I've opened two so far and got a table and an end. crystal. Not bad, but nothing to write home about.

Basicly..a pretty good idea...in theory at least..i tried it..and what did i get??? Boots!!! Yes...boots..some that`s beeing sold in the market for 5000...yes..very rare and exclusive..this sure makes me look forward to buy more Hyper Packs (sarcasm off)

I dont know if its a bug or intended but last platinum pack i opened contained just 1 colour crystal.... not even a rare one ;P

Mine gave me a war hero crystal.

Which was such an incredibly crappy reward that I actually had to chuckle about it. :p

(On the bright side, I didn't get any of them from my regular packs, so it balances out.)

Edited by Callaron

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty upset about the platinum set because I decide to buy a hypercrate just for the guentee of getting some rare armor or something, but to my dismay I got a credit box with only 100k. How is that a rare item. Also the rest of the crate ducked also with 0 rare items so I don't think I will ever but another pack until that is fixed.

Hi all!

Our Mid Rim Pack launches today, and with it comes another Platinum Pack for those who purchase a Mid Rim Hypercrate!

As mentioned previously, we continue to refine the contents of the Platinum Pack based on your feedback. This includes tightening the Pack contents into a more select list featuring the packs strongest offerings, such as pieces of the Primeval Stalker’s Armor Set, the Commemorative Statue of Revan, the Ridge Hunter Rancor, and more!

We hope you enjoy this new addition to the Hypercrate experience, and welcome your continued feedback!