Looking back at the past.

rman

I recently came back to SWTOR and can't help but have a huge rush of nostalgia. All I ever see in the forums are posts about doom and gloom for this game. Remember back three years ago when everyone was eagerly awaiting the launch? Remember when everyone held their breathe and waited for Bioware to reveal the release date, and the absolute joy that consumed you when you got the email on September 24'th revealing the release date?

Where have those days gone? All that ever gets thrown around these forums anymore is how the game is dying. How about we talk about the future of the game and try to grasp on to the excitement we all once had for this game!

It made me sad when all of the people we knew and had grown a relationship with throughout development left. People like Daniel Erickson (Absolutely), Stephen Reid, Dallas Dickinson, and several more just left or got laid off. That to me is the biggest mistake Bioware has made with this game; letting the people who put their blood, sweat, and tears into this game for six years leave.

Finally, thank you to the entire SWTOR staff for continuing to deliver the best experience you possibly can!

SWTOR has been around for three years. Here's to another three years! :w_cool:

Edited by rman

In order to be enthusiastic about the future, I need to be teased about it. I don't consider the Fallen Empire picture to be a teaser; knowing that there will only be two content updates in 2015, Ziost and Fallen Empire, when 2015 is supposed to be a "big year". We don't even know what is coming with the 3.3, the next game update. So what are we going to be getting in 2016 and 2017? One update per year?

If the developers can show me that they have the funding to bring out content every two months like they did in 2013, then yes, I am confident in saying the game will last for many more years to come, until then I'm not optimistic.

Maybe my impressions will change and I will get hyped for Fallen Empire at the E3 press conference if it turns out to be a huge expansion, like 2 new planets, 2 new raids AND 2 new flashpoints. Anything less than that is a nice update but not worth hyping up for after a year of no new multi-boss operation.

Edited by Jerba

Maybe this game is in limbo because there are plans to develop a new SW MMO along with the new movies.

One can only hope.

IF there is, it won't come out till the end of the new trilogy at the earliest, and if Disney move ahead with their plans for new films immediately following the main series (Disregarding the side-stories), then unless the plot of the films leaves a significant time gap between the new trilogy and what follows, there simply wont be a place to slot in an MMO.

So regardless, at the absolute earliest, there wont be a new MMO till 2019.

IF there is, it won't come out till the end of the new trilogy at the earliest, and if Disney move ahead with their plans for new films immediately following the main series (Disregarding the side-stories), then unless the plot of the films leaves a significant time gap between the new trilogy and what follows, there simply wont be a place to slot in an MMO.

So regardless, at the absolute earliest, there wont be a new MMO till 2019.

Well since you don't really know, it doesn't matter.;)

Of course he doesn't know... just like you don't know that there is...

However, he makes a much stronger case than you and logic dictates that another SW MMO would be several years away at least.

Irrelevant. Since none of us know. ;)

Stranger things have happened.

Maybe this game is in limbo because there are plans to develop a new SW MMO along with the new movies.

One can only hope.

The thought has crossed my mind as well. Why else would they let money like this slip away so easily?

Irrelevant. Since none of us know. ;)

Stranger things have happened.

Right, and a space shuttle could come crashing into my window at any time.

However it is far more likely that it wont.

Doesn't mean that people saying that I should start living in a bunker are right, just because there is an infantisimal chance that something like that might happen.

Face it, his scenario is far more likely than yours.

So far this year has been probably the worst year for swtor. So tell me how am I supposed to be excited?

That's your opinion.

I am having loads of fun playing this game...and I look forward to logging in every day.

Great game...keep it up EA/BW

In order to be enthusiastic about the future, I need to be teased about it. I don't consider the Fallen Empire picture to be a teaser; knowing that there will only be two content updates in 2015, Ziost and Fallen Empire, when 2015 is supposed to be a "big year". We don't even know what is coming with the 3.3, the next game update. So what are we going to be getting in 2016 and 2017? One update per year?

If the developers can show me that they have the funding to bring out content every two months like they did in 2013, then yes, I am confident in saying the game will last for many more years to come, until then I'm not optimistic.

Maybe my impressions will change and I will get hyped for Fallen Empire at the E3 press conference if it turns out to be a huge expansion, like 2 new planets, 2 new raids AND 2 new flashpoints. Anything less than that is a nice update but not worth hyping up for after a year of no new multi-boss operation.

Bingo. This, a thousand times this.

So the OP - of course the game is going to seem amazing to you, and it should be. You just came back to a ton of content.

However, for those of us who never left, we've done it all. We're at a place where we are looking for the next thing. And what Bioware has never learned is that the way you keep people like me and the person I quoted happy is by giving us things to be excited for down the road.

Ask yourself, how can WoW do this, how can DDO and LOTRO do this, how can a bunch of other MMOs be smart enough to do this, but the clandestine nature of SWTOR will not allow for them to do this?

a mmo doesnt have to be slotted in between movie series, it could just not have the player characters be main characters in the universe

which would be smart since swtor's whole- every jedi kills the emperor and every smuggler is the kingpin of the galaxy is pretty lame once you hit endgame and realize none of that follows you because you are in ops with 3 other jedi that personally killed the emperor etc

The thought has crossed my mind as well. Why else would they let money like this slip away so easily?

Doesn't that just go back to the post that everyone craps on regarding the future of SWTOR that was found on Reddit a few years ago and pops up every so often?

Doesn't that just go back to the post that everyone craps on regarding the future of SWTOR that was found on Reddit a few years ago and pops up every so often?

Yes it does. The less and less they care about this game, the more I hope that rumor is true.

a mmo doesnt have to be slotted in between movie series, it could just not have the player characters be main characters in the universe

which would be smart since swtor's whole- every jedi kills the emperor and every smuggler is the kingpin of the galaxy is pretty lame once you hit endgame and realize none of that follows you because you are in ops with 3 other jedi that personally killed the emperor etc

All games are going to be semi-canon from now on, so for an MMO, the events take place, but the details may be slightly different. And the reason I said they can't really slot it in mid-series, is that the stories will likely be connected akin to Empire & Return (A New Hope pretty much stands on its own), so fitting in meaningful events would be difficult without spoiling the other films... Though it could theoretically make for a strong series of expansions every time a new film is released.