3.2.1 Marauder/Sentinel Insight: Defensive Forms

Amazing isn't it? A utility that is practically mandatory they claim is actually optional.....sure if you want to be inefficient. I love this game and what the original team did.....I hate the current developers.

Ikr, the original team was much better than this. Yes, launch was a mess and the game has a lot more features now, but I think that if BW hadn't been rushed by EA as usual and they just kept the original team minus some cutbacks after the first few months w/o hiring anyone new, everything would've been much better. I'd rather have a diverse array of classes that aren't well balanced but actually different, than the current trend of dumbing down and homogenizing the specs/classes further and further in the name of "QOL".

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We understand that many of you have been calling for Defensive Forms to be made baseline, but we need to maintain choice within the Utility system. The three previously Form-restricted effects tied to the original Defensive Forms (damage reduction, internal and elemental damage reduction, and movement speed) are all great defensive and utility skills that should be player driven options in the Utility system. While the Fury/Centering generation applied by Defensive Forms (and the new Brazen/Stoic) improves the DPS and defensive output of Marauders/Sentinels who are being actively attacked, it does nothing for those who are avoiding damage or attention and allowing their team/companions to draw the target’s ire. Due to this fact, we are leaving this Fury/Centering generation skill as a player choice and not moving it to a class-baseline passive.

John

First of all, you can't use companions in pvp, so there's that. Additionally, sentinels should not be avoiding damage/attention and the reason we must play like this is our lack of utility. If we were able to play the way we are meant to played, as melee, we will always be taking damage so this statement is irrelevant. It's hard for me to actively participate in the damage dealing in warzones like hypergate/voidstar/queshball when the map is completely dominated and suited for ranged. I spend most of my time in hypergate running in and trying to get as much damage in as possible before I inevitably have to retreat and wait for CDs while the ranged classes play. And there is no leaving the center room to chase as melee as it means certain death, so the ranged can simply run out, los, heal up and come back once my CDs are spent. Defensive forms needs to be a sentinel passive and the leg slash ranged utility and root needs to be rolled into a single utility (no other class has to spend 2 utility points for 1 useful ability, its ridiculous and a waste).

Well, this just tells me I shouldn't waste time on my Marauder anytime soon. While I like that they're at least communicating to us and what their philosophy is...it still doesn't make sense to anyone outside Bioware's office. Seriously. I really wonder if the combat team plays this class hard in operations and pvp. Can't have much choice in a utility when it's considered mandatory by any Marauder who understands his class...

I guess I'll be putting this class on the shelf. Bioware...you should look long and hard as to why this is the lowest actively played force class in the game right now. Your community keeps telling you why but you're not seeing it for whatever reason. You can't tell me you guys put extended hours into this class to ignore the changes many suggested. The class is not on par with the rest in the game...that can't be argued.

I'd say I'm a pretty good player who grasps mechanics well in this game and any MMO. When I do operations or pvp I really have to work 3x as hard compared to my other classes. I don't think Marauders are broke but they're not where they should be. The class is extremely hard to play in order to gain anything. It's mostly due to our limitations and the design around other classes+encounters now.

The best way I can describe me playing a Marauder right now compared to my other classes is...it feels...handicapped in a lot of situations especially operations/pvp. It's just an extremely frustrating class where you have no margin for error especially in pvp.

Edited by zeroeffectxoo

Do the combat team realize that playing a Mara/Sent feels like being handicapped?

We don't have a PvP discipline we don't have a PvE discipline, we don't have a secondary role or overly much to offer in a group. We don't have a stealth option and most of the new ops bosses are not mdps friendly. Its hard to want to be involved in ops when you know your a burden to your group. So I am wondering if the combat team are aware and/or care.

Hello everybody.. just a couple things I wanna throw out there.

1) I've been maining a marauder since the game launched and I PVP. ALOT.

2) I am EXTREMELY pissed off about everything thats gone down since 3.0

3) The people in charge of balancing do not play marauders, ever, and have NO IDEA what the hell they're doing.

4) I've seen lots of threads urging people to refrain from insults and the like, but LOGIC CLEARLY HAS NO EFFECT UPON THE DUMB *** COMBAT TEAM. How many hundreds, if not thousands, of posts have detailed exactly what they broke and what possible fixes could be? How many times have they responded with ******** that has nothing to do with ANYTHING that ANY OF US has actually said? "Your dps is fine, L2P" LMFAO idiots. Incompetent idiots. Learn to Read. And while you're doing that, maybe you should, oh, I dunno, actually level a marauder to 60 and then queue for a warzone or ten. Cuz we're ALL laughing at how stupid you are. I'd be embarrassed as hell if I went in game or read a forum and all I saw was people talking about how stupid I am. Maybe its time for you to pull your collective heads out of your asses.

Hello everybody.. just a couple things I wanna throw out there.

1) I've been maining a marauder since the game launched and I PVP. ALOT.

2) I am EXTREMELY pissed off about everything thats gone down since 3.0

3) The people in charge of balancing do not play marauders, ever, and have NO IDEA what the hell they're doing.

4) I've seen lots of threads urging people to refrain from insults and the like, but LOGIC CLEARLY HAS NO EFFECT UPON THE DUMB *** COMBAT TEAM.

We're all saying the same thing. Join the club.

Edited by Bugattiboy

So I can accept the devs explanation of the philosophy behind defensive forms and its application in utilities. What I'd really really love to see is the philosophy behind Brooding being a Heroic tier utility other than just a forced choice to stop marauders from being too op. Surely there is some leeway to make this a passive baseline ability in the final stages of leveling a marauder and free us up to make more meaningful defensive/mobility choices in our utility builds

If Bioware was trying to nerf the class, I'd give them a congratulatory handshake.

The sad part is they are trying to buff/fix the class. And every single f**king change they do rapes the class so hard I wish they didnt touch it in the first place.

Delete the class, or just leave it alone to die slowly. You are only twisting the knife more and more.

• 2 weeks later...

well if the primilarnty patch note hold I am done with my marauder and probably the game, 3.0 screw us over utility wise, and this patch is gonna make things that much worse, seeing i lost stuff lots mobilty with 3.0 now and what little I could get back I now have to drop point to get back my mobility 15% movement speed, which is gona hurt more.

Do the combat actual play this game or just draw straws for random changes. they are idiots

Edited by Kyuuu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hey everyone,

We’ve been following the discussions regarding the Annihilation/Watchman changes since the last PTS patch, and I wanted to take a moment to lend some insight on a few points and discuss potential improvements. We will start by discussing the 3.2.1 changes to Defensive Forms.

Defensive Forms:

We know that this has been a sensitive topic for some time and found it pertinent to reassess the Utility and expand its functionality. By dividing the original buffs among multiple Utilities and removing the stance requirement, we aim to bolster the intrigue of other Utilities and provide the opportunity for all Disciplines and stances to utilize these defensive and utility buffs as they see fit.

We understand that many of you have been calling for Defensive Forms to be made baseline, but we need to maintain choice within the Utility system. The three previously Form-restricted effects tied to the original Defensive Forms (damage reduction, internal and elemental damage reduction, and movement speed) are all great defensive and utility skills that should be player driven options in the Utility system. While the Fury/Centering generation applied by Defensive Forms (and the new Brazen/Stoic) improves the DPS and defensive output of Marauders/Sentinels who are being actively attacked, it does nothing for those who are avoiding damage or attention and allowing their team/companions to draw the target’s ire. Due to this fact, we are leaving this Fury/Centering generation skill as a player choice and not moving it to a class-baseline passive.

We will be releasing threads concerning Marauder/Sentinel updates over the next few hours in stages. They will offer insight on Annihilation/Watch Rotation changes, Hungering/Merciless Zeal changes, and an open address on improving set bonuses to reduce their impact on limiting rotation flexibility. We are staggering the release of these posts to allow you all time to respond on individual topics and keep the discussions focused.

Cheers, all!

John

Im going to waste as much time commenting on this as you spent time on considering the community's input.

so /LOL and /necro to put up ur bump ur shame up once again.