The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Aim or Power for PVP Tactics Vanguard?

ddldave

I run one crit enhancement, 2 accuracy pieces, and the rest full power surge.

I don't think accuracy is worth it on a vanguard. HiB alone isn't justification enough. Not when the rest of your rotation is tech.

Surprisingly, I found my dps going up (with sorcs being the most taken to ranked healer) and sins being a favorite for ranked 4s dps, the inquisitor buff to defense chance or whatever it is was bringing my dps numbers down slighly due to missed railshots, and who wants to miss a 9-10k railshot? Plus going any further with surge would have hit diminishing returns so i figure why not

Surprisingly, I found my dps going up (with sorcs being the most taken to ranked healer) and sins being a favorite for ranked 4s dps, the inquisitor buff to defense chance or whatever it is was bringing my dps numbers down slighly due to missed railshots, and who wants to miss a 9-10k railshot? Plus going any further with surge would have hit diminishing returns so i figure why not

given the massive variance in dps numbers in PvP matches, I feel confidant in saying any perceived DPS increase is nothing more than a confirmation bias.

Also Tactics is a Burst spec, so short term burst gains are more important than long term DPS numbers.

given the massive variance in dps numbers in PvP matches, I feel confidant in saying any perceived DPS increase is nothing more than a confirmation bias.

Also Tactics is a Burst spec, so short term burst gains are more important than long term DPS numbers.

I run parsec in the background and was not happy with missing/deflecting the number of ralshots that were missing, so once i put accuracy in my gear, it helped drastically drop the number of missed railshots. Plus in 4s (the only pvp that matters) when the other team has a sin tank you can basically take 5% off your base accuracy, plus sins and sorcs being very present in team ranked w/ sorc heals and double hatred being a meta, their base defense increase also nerfs damage. just saying what has worked for me in gearing

http://i.imgur.com/N8uQSGB.jpg (Diaffiss is my powertech on a different server who is in obroan gear)

http://imgur.com/zsEjSuQ my main pt

accuracy works fine

I run parsec in the background and was not happy with missing/deflecting the number of ralshots that were missing, so once i put accuracy in my gear, it helped drastically drop the number of missed railshots. Plus in 4s (the only pvp that matters) when the other team has a sin tank you can basically take 5% off your base accuracy, plus sins and sorcs being very present in team ranked w/ sorc heals and double hatred being a meta, their base defense increase also nerfs damage. just saying what has worked for me in gearing

http://i.imgur.com/N8uQSGB.jpg (Diaffiss is my powertech on a different server who is in obroan gear)

http://imgur.com/zsEjSuQ my main pt

accuracy works fine

First of all, most misses/dodge/deflects are from DcDs, and no amount of accuracy is going to fix that.

Second of all it doesn't matter what tank the enemy team is using because Tactics is piss poor against any and all tanks and you shouldn't be hitting them to begin with.

Third, the extra defense available to Sins still doesn't make it worthwhile, all the extra defense did is move it from completely meaningless, to just almost always meaningless.

Fourth, did you really just try to link scoreboard DPS screenshots to try and prove what? Creditability? Do you not realize the 101 things wrong with trying to make performance statements off the scoreboard? Especially for a burst class. (hint: the more you suck at killing targets the better your scoreboard DPS is.)

Tactics is a burst class, you only care about ~6 second killing windows, in that short timeframe the value of accuracy is effectively non-existent because the probability of missing is too small. Especially since Ranged attacks compromise so little of your damage

First of all, most misses/dodge/deflects are from DcDs, and no amount of accuracy is going to fix that.

Second of all it doesn't matter what tank the enemy team is using because Tactics is piss poor against any and all tanks and you shouldn't be hitting them to begin with.

Third, the extra defense available to Sins still doesn't make it worthwhile, all the extra defense did is move it from completely meaningless, to just almost always meaningless.

Fourth, did you really just try to link scoreboard DPS screenshots to try and prove what? Creditability? Do you not realize the 101 things wrong with trying to make performance statements off the scoreboard? Especially for a burst class. (hint: the more you suck at killing targets the better your scoreboard DPS is.)

Tactics is a burst class, you only care about ~6 second killing windows, in that short timeframe the value of accuracy is effectively non-existent because the probability of missing is too small. Especially since Ranged attacks compromise so little of your damage

sorry mate, where do you play team ranked at? we'll be sure to make a team there and show you how single target pressure works for powertech. saying that its a burst class just sounds like your excuse for not being able to put up numbers in pvp.

yes it is a "burst class" but it also has some of the highest single target damage in the game, which does immense pressure. If you do 2000 dps to one target in team ranked, that target needs guard, leaving your 2nd dps and tank on your team to tunnel another target who has no guard, leading to a kill.

Nobody said anything about hitting a tank...assassin tanks (which when i actually played this game were the best tank you could have in team ranked at the beginning of preseason/season 4, have a talent that causes discharge or wither or something to reduce accuracy by 5%, added to the defense chance that inquisitors get, and it makes it easier to miss railshot, railshot which if you didnt know, is one of your main abilities for doing damage :cool:

you are more than welcome to play your class how you see fit, I wouldnt dare tell you how to play the game you pay for, I simply said what worked for me and gave reasoning as to why it works.

sorry mate, where do you play team ranked at? we'll be sure to make a team there and show you how single target pressure works for powertech. saying that its a burst class just sounds like your excuse for not being able to put up numbers in pvp.

I am well aware of how a "pressure" strat works for a Pt. I am also more than capable of throwing around scoreboard DPS numbers and throwing around rating and anecdotes. But I don't do that. Why? Because such arguments are meaningless and show a based misunderstanding of the subject and the variables involved in getting those numbers.

yes it is a "burst class" but it also has some of the highest single target damage in the game, which does immense pressure. If you do 2000 dps to one target in team ranked, that target needs guard, leaving your 2nd dps and tank on your team to tunnel another target who has no guard, leading to a kill.

You can do just as much DPS without accuracy. If you want to maximize your DPS you take Alacrity not accuracy.

If you feel that there are soooo many sin tanks on your server that you need accuracy then whatever. But that's your call, I personally have not seen a single Sin tank in group 4s since season 3. and even then I highly doubt that you need accuracy.

Edited by Zoom_VI