What some don't understand about Neutrality.

Latorn

What if I am a "Mostly" lightside player who, WANTS to LOOK like the darkside. Cosmetically i want to have the appearance of the darkside, but I play a Lightside.

Why does the Light side look so damn Carebear and the Darkside looks so ******. I HATE THAT STEREOTYPE!!! :mad: Stop restricting my damn fashion sense, damn it! :mad:

Edited by SolxTheUnmaker

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the whole Neutrality argument about lack of gear etc. But the main thing about this game is that when you create your character regardless of class, there some what of a set path to take. i.e If you pick bounty hunter your on the empire side. A bounty hunter is paid to do there job not as much to think about it. your hired by the empire aka Dark Side. if you do your job as a bounty hunter chances are you will end up doing dark side things such as killing people and sabotage. Some missions you find yourself debating whether or not to kill someone because you think it may be wrong, well like i said your not paid to think just do. if you often find yourself doing missions and end up doing the Lightside things like lying to ur employer about kill ur target meanwhile you let them live. Chances are your not really a bounty hunter your a Smuggler. This goes for all the classes reason why i chose BH is because that is what i play. Theres not really a lightside Sith ur really just a force user that likes lightning.

all gear that is not specifically light or dark is 'neutral' gear. I really have NO CLUE what people are talking about? Are people asking to get grey points? Are people saying the only good gear is gear with LS or DS requirements? I'm only lvl 15 but I haven't noticed that, most of my gear is not alignment specific.

This just seems like a pointless thread from the gear aspect.

And I think grey characters don't really make sense, as others have mentioned they would have to be bipolar, they lack continuity, and we already have the choice to have a little bit of LS points if we're mainly DS or vice versa.

It sounds like a lot of people making smoke in this thread. Make the choices you want to make, some will be LS, some will be DS, and you'll have gear that will be good no matter what alignment it is.

all gear that is not specifically light or dark is 'neutral' gear. I really have NO CLUE what people are talking about? Are people asking to get grey points? Are people saying the only good gear is gear with LS or DS requirements? I'm only lvl 15 but I haven't noticed that, most of my gear is not alignment specific..

There is a LOT of alignment specific gear, especially as you advance in levels. One of the problems I had when trying to outfit Ashara is that good sabers tend to have light or dark requirements (note, not restrictions, which would be fine). That requirements like "Dark II or above" mean that companions cannot use the gear and neither can people whose characters make well reasoned decisions.

It's fun to kill every quest NPC when you get a chance, I guess, but some people are more useful alive than dead. The last thing I want is to get a relic, go do a quest with it, and then make a decision based upon the idea that story mode decisions based upon what is best for my character's story instead of what is best for their plot, a decision which can render that item unequipable until I run Black Talon another dozen times.

I agree with you. There should be "gray" items. Although I have found many items that do not require an alignment to use none of them are as powerful or modible as those which force you in a moral direction.

I for one would like to start a Gray Jedi Fellowship (The word Order is too official for the Gray Jedi libertines!). a guild meeting mainly in Cantinas across the galaxy. Anyone on Zakkeg Beast or other server up for this? To be neutral seems to result in a massive sacrifice of gear and bonuses but I think it is important to adhere to neutrality and whine at Bioware until they spoil us with gear. It seems much harder to peg our Moral Compasses in the middle than to travel down the Dark Path or up into the lofty heights of the Light. Us Fence Sitters need our just reward!

By the way I am getting slaughtered in the Mining Facility Mission, any tips?

The only major problem I have with the current available items is relics. I don't really care that I can't go to a "grey vendor" and purchase grey-alignment gear. That is something of an advantage for light and dark aligned players, but not a significant one. Someday I'd like to see specific grey-alignment gear, but until then at least give us relics.

At level 30, a couple of relics can give you 40+ endurance and just as much of your class' primary stat, as well as on-use stat boost abilities. That's a major power boost that is almost completely unavailable to grey characters. We can spend a great deal of time collecting matrix shards to get ONE pretty lame relic, and there's no guarantee that you can get one with stats that are useful to your character. Otherwise all relics I have seen have dark/light requirements. This oversight must be fixed SOON.

Well if you think about it at least for me, The whole light and dark side choices can actually be neutral I.E. I'm a bounty hunter I have no problem choosing dark and killing this one dude I find to be scum but on the other hand I choose the light option and let say someone else go because I find him to be neutral work.

To those saying that the various orders would cast you out for being wrong aligned, you don't understand the sith. The jedi might cast you out and persecute you, but the sith order would not, because how you get more power is your business. If you can handle the individuals who have a problem with it and come to kill your weak lightsided self, then the lightside gave you power.

If you follow the lore, there have been almost as many lightside darths as there have been darkside. Look up Darth Cognus for an example ;)

Edited by Tallian

And I think grey characters don't really make sense, as others have mentioned they would have to be bipolar, they lack continuity, and we already have the choice to have a little bit of LS points if we're mainly DS or vice versa.

It's really not as simple as that, much to Bioware's credit. Many choices in the game are actually quite difficult. Take the Esseles for example. Do you risk getting hundreds of people killed to save a single person, or do you sacrifice that person to ensure the survival of everyone else?

The problem is that a morality system only really makes sense if you are free to define your morality. But in certain ways, the game punishes you for doing so. It should encourage you instead. As it stands, you might as well just pick light or dark side at character creation and then stick with it, because you're apparently not supposed to ever change your view later on.

It also doesn't really make sense lore wise to reward pure light or dark side characters in terms of power, since Bioware itself is the one pushing the mastery of both as the more proficient way of using the force (Revan, anyone?).

[TL;DR]

Keep the system and the choices as they are, they're mostly fine, but don't couple the LS/DS system in any way with character performance.

The easy fix is add equivalent gear that cannot be sued with Dark/Light I or above.

Honestly how hard is that. Copy/paste existing ones, repaint the Thumbnail, and give a proper neutral name. Done.

My wife picks her choices as she think her SIth would, regardless of rewards and she has pretty much hovered around neutral the whole game. Yet to see a a Dark/Light I yet.

And a lot of times there are "neutral" choices.

for Jedi's it's really only darkness or light...

The sweet whispers of darkside in your ear is oh so good... must kill...

For force users there is really no grey in starwars. Thats just how the force works. Granted for everyone else in the game...

Emperor Roan Fel and the Imperial Knights would like to have a word with you.:)

Edited by SithShaune

You know there is the argument that you are playing Star Wars and if you are trying to play a neutral character in Star Wars you are doing it wrong. Star Wars is about the epic conflict between good and evil. You have to pick a side, or you get blown up like alderaan. Of course lightsabers have alignment restrictions. Of course a dark 5 sith warrior can't use blue color crystals.

As far as relics, the best relics in game are the datacron shard relics which have no alignment restriction on them.

You know there is the argument that you are playing Star Wars and if you are trying to play a neutral character in Star Wars you are doing it wrong. Star Wars is about the epic conflict between good and evil. You have to pick a side, or you get blown up like alderaan. Of course lightsabers have alignment restrictions. Of course a dark 5 sith warrior can't use blue color crystals.

As far as relics, the best relics in game are the datacron shard relics which have no alignment restriction on them.

No one seems to be complaining about the restricted gear, exactly. The problem is that neutrality is a goal for some(reinforced by the sith revanite quest chain that tells us that great power can come from walking both light and dark paths, like Revan), and for others, their natural choices leave them stuck in the neutral zone.

As far as relics... You get how many datacron matrix relics? Only 1 iirc. And how many slots for relics? OH!! 2?!?! So by going neutral I gimp myself. EVERYONE will have the Datacron relic, as well as a high end aligned relic. So where is the great power Bioware promised me for following in Revans footsteps and going grey sith?

Well the simple lore answer is that its a fallacy which is why the Revanites get purged. i.e. if there is such great power why the hell are you hiding in a jungle.

You can create as many relics as you have set of shards. So at current count, you should be able to make 3 or 4, not sure if the 3rd green shard is in game or not. As to what the relics do...they changed them since beta so I'm not sure if they will beat the high end aligned relics.

Well the simple lore answer is that its a fallacy which is why the Revanites get purged. i.e. if there is such great power why the hell are you hiding in a jungle.

You can create as many relics as you have set of shards. So at current count, you should be able to make 3 or 4, not sure if the 3rd green shard is in game or not. As to what the relics do...they changed them since beta so I'm not sure if they will beat the high end aligned relics.

v0v Its still presented as a viable option by Bioware, so my point there stands ;)

And the only relics I've looked into are the pvp relics, and I understand they are terrible at 50, you should stick to the ones from level 40

what I can not stand about this morality system is how it affects your lightsaber color. I could forgive the game if it was Empire used certain colors and republic used blue, green etc. However i rolled a jedi knight because i personally thought the dark side options they get to choose are much more interesting. I was very disappointed however when i found out how my moral choices severely limited my gear, specifically by preventing me from using a blue color crystal that i can make because I am artifice. I knights of the old republic i could make evil decisions the whole game and still use a blue saber. Or be light side and use red. Exar Kun one of the most powerful dark jedi in the star wars old republic time line used a blue color crystal for his double bladed lightsaber. Therefore I am doubly frustrated because not only do i feel forced to pick dark side options all the time (because this game does not favor neutrality) but if I do i cant choose the lightsaber color of my choice. Again if you real feel the need to restrict saber color. then make it so only republic can use blue and green and sith just use red. Don't make it so my Jedi Knight who is being forced to make all evil decisions cant use the Blue color Crystal that i created for with my profession. That makes no sense and it is far from fair.

Yea ppl who like me got neutral are shafted in the game. Relics that are not alignment restricted are awful with the exception of the matrix shards. It is silly that the itemization team didn't have neutral items ready for launch. There are certainly Gray orders from earlier in this time frame as referenced by various items in the KOTOR series so their are definitely arguments that their should be Gray relics.

They should have something for neutrality in the game. Han Solo at the start didnt want to take sides and was neutral but has changed.

My Bounty Hunter was my first character. I decided to just play him how I want to play him and not worry about light / dark side. For the most part, I did the bounties, killed people that pissed me off but on the other side, helped people too along the way depending on who they were. With him, I have never reached Dark 1 or Light 1, currently around 350 light side. Im just playing my character and having fun with it but seems like he will be missing out on stuff if I dont make choices leaning towards a certain aspect.

With my alts, I have focused on dark or light with the sith and jedi which is really easy with that type of character. But when it comes to non force users, the choices tend to be more neutral.. At least how I play.

My operative is stuck in the neutral zone because of this. He is a professional, not some charity good guy or rage-o-holic sadistic sith. I get a mission and I complete it as efficiently and quietly as possible. If I am told to capture someone I capture them. If I am told someone needs to be silenced I sneak in and silence them. I play whatever role I am given be it a pirate or a no one.

Its stuck me right in the neutral zone. I just hope I am no punished for it.

this is is for me too.

plus my operative is no lunatic or sadist. she will help to quelch the slave rebellion and put them in line because she believes the empire needs the workforce. but she will not torture and make them suffer for the fun of it. (also this would destroy ressources of the empire, tortured and dead slaves dont work. So she will the sith psycho doing so.)

this behavior put me right in the grey zone without any intention to beeing grey.

if i am getting punished for this, this would realy suck.

There is also this mission on balmorra where you can choose to let the enemy live and let him say the republic did it. Doing so springs riots in the republic and humiliates it.

even the sith lords cheer you for that. This the LS option.

The DS option would be to just kill him, gaining you and the empire nothing.