Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Dye Packs

arunav

With 12x XP upcoming, as well as the new appearance system in 3.2, would it be possible to put all CM dyes (including those specific to past shipments) into one pack?

Some of the ones in specific past shipment packs have become very rare and overpriced, even on the most populated servers. To make them more accessible to use with the new appearance system, I think this would be welcome by most players.

I still wish we could unlock dyes in collections, but, short of this, having all CM dyes in a pack seems like a reasonable compromise.

EDIT: I should note many of the dyes from past shipments aren't available on the GTN any longer.

Edited by arunav

No, no. I make dyes and depend on them for income. Once you use a dye pack, it's used up. You're not buying a bottle of dye that is perpetually and magically always full. It's a consumable.

You notice he said CM dyes not craftable dyes.

Again... This times one billion. People also craft armor, color crystals and weapons and yet the CM versions unlock in collections. Holding back dyes is just arbitrary.

People craft armor? Why??

^ this. I power leveled Armormech on one of my toons thinking I'd be gearing up my alts and/or comps...but the material resources required, the constant need to RE *everything* just to get decent schematics, and the general tedium involved doesn't make it practical. Nine times out of ten, I build one piece of armor, and then just say "screw it" and buy the bits and pieces off of the GTN.

Again... This times one billion. People also craft armor, color crystals and weapons and yet the CM versions unlock in collections. Holding back dyes is just arbitrary.

No, dyes are consumables. You can't unlock other consumables in collections, either.

Edited by branmakmuffin

So what? I don't see that as a difference. That's the way dyes work, as consumables. You would like dyes to work as perpetually full bottles of dye. They don't. You use them and they empty. The fact that "armor" can be unlocked and available? Meh? You have to mod them up with new mods anyway. You could just as easily say armor should NOT be unlockable in collections if you want everything to be "equal" in your eyes. What about CM XP boosts? Why aren't THEY unlockable in collections?

You just want more free stuff.

So what? I don't see that as a difference. That's the way dyes work, as consumables. You would like dyes to work as perpetually full bottles of dye. They don't. You use them and they empty. The fact that "armor" can be unlocked and available? Meh? You have to mod them up with new mods anyway. You could just as easily say armor should NOT be unlockable in collections if you want everything to be "equal" in your eyes. What about CM XP boosts? Why aren't THEY unlockable in collections?

You just want more free stuff.

Did I say I endorsed this idea once in my post?

All I did was point out to you that he was referring to cartel Market Dyes ONLY so I'D THANK YOU TO NOT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH!!! :mad:

Edited by Anaesha

I have no problem that they are a consumable, and I have no problem paying CC for them.

I just hate how they have been relegated to filler in packs and not some sort of system in place to acquire them like the customization kiosk or just in a section in the cartel market.

I have no problem that they are a consumable, and I have no problem paying CC for them.

I just hate how they have been relegated to filler in packs and not some sort of system in place to acquire them like the customization kiosk or just in a section in the cartel market.

/agree completely.

If they added a Dyes section to the CM with all the CM dye modules ever made in it and charged 100-500 CC for each one depending on rarity, I'd just mail my debit card to Austin. It would save time. Bioware is missing out on a huge micro-transaction opportunity with the way they currently handle CM dyes.

/agree completely.

If they added a Dyes section to the CM with all the CM dye modules ever made in it and charged 100-500 CC for each one depending on rarity, I'd just mail my debit card to Austin. It would save time. Bioware is missing out on a huge micro-transaction opportunity with the way they currently handle CM dyes.

100CC to 500CC?

The black/black dye is 2000CC those limited times it is available for direct purchase. Even the white/white is more than you "propose" as it sells for 1000CC, I believe.

I'd bet that while you may not be buying dye packs or dyes on the GTN, plenty of people ARE buying those dye packs. Some buy them to sell directly on the GTN. Some buy them in the hopes of hitting the jackpot and pulling a rare dye, either to use themselves or sell on the GTN.

Your proposed idea would likely negatively impact the sales of those dye packs.

High demand for certain dyes and low supply make those dyes sell well for high prices on the GTN. If the dyes were available for direct purchase any time you wanted one, especially for the insanely cheap prices you want to pay, the prices would drop drastically on the GTN. This would result in lower return for those who purchase the dye packs, resulting in lower dye pack sales. Lower dye pack sales means less revenue for BW.

With 12x XP upcoming, as well as the new appearance system in 3.2, would it be possible to put all CM dyes (including those specific to past shipments) into one pack?

Some of the ones in specific past shipment packs have become very rare and overpriced, even on the most populated servers. To make them more accessible to use with the new appearance system, I think this would be welcome by most players.

I still wish we could unlock dyes in collections, but, short of this, having all CM dyes in a pack seems like a reasonable compromise.

If you want a certain dye, you can probably find it on the GTN. It may be expensive, but there is nothing wrong with that. You should be prepared to pay the going price for it.

If you want a certain dye, you can probably find it on the GTN. It may be expensive, but there is nothing wrong with that. You should be prepared to pay the going price for it.

I see you like hording dye modules for a year and selling them for 4 million each? ;)

I see you like hording dye modules for a year and selling them for 4 million each? ;)

Probably, but his argument misses the mark from which he quoted and has gone off on some other tangent.

I don't want or need black/black or white/white, I have a little more style than those boring combos.

The dyes a lot of people want are not for sale anywhere, so who he quoted is correct in that there is an untapped market.

For example If I could click on the CM, then click purchase a primary deep yellow( or insert one of hundreds or primary or secondary colours), that would be fantastic and plenty of sales would ensure.

If all the colours and their combos were available in those dye packs, his argument would be fine, but because the colours and combos don't exist, these are missed opportunities for sales in the current system.

Actually that would be faulty assumption on your part.

I do not hoard dyes, not do I even sell them.

I also do not complain about the cost of any dye I choose to purchase. I have the same choice everyone else does. I can pay the going price for a dye I want, or I can choose to save my credits.

I do not come to the forums and complain that the dyes I want are too expensive and ask BW to essentially hand them to me for peanuts.

Would you go into a Ferrari dealer and ask them to lower the price because you really want a Ferrari, but you think they are too expensive?

Probably, but his argument misses the mark from which he quoted and has gone off on some other tangent.

I don't want or need black/black or white/white, I have a little more style than those boring combos.

The dyes a lot of people want are not for sale anywhere, so who he quoted is correct in that there is an untapped market.

For example If I could click on the CM, then click purchase a primary deep yellow( or insert one of hundreds or primary or secondary colours), that would be fantastic and plenty of sales would ensure.

If all the colours and their combos were available in those dye packs, his argument would be fine, but because the colours and combos don't exist, these are missed opportunities for sales in the current system.

I only mention the black/black and white/white dyes as they are among the few, if not the only dyes available for direct purchase from the CM, unless I am mistaken. Those dyes are not even available all the time, but only occasionally and when they are available, they are only available for a very limited time. The cost for those dyes is high, much higher than the 100 CC's -500 CC's that the OP wants to be able to pay.

The OP was not talking about dye combinations that are not available. The OP was asking BW to make the dyes that are available cheaper for him to obtain.

Actually that would be faulty assumption on your part.

I do not hoard dyes, not do I even sell them.

I also do not complain about the cost of any dye I choose to purchase. I have the same choice everyone else does. I can pay the going price for a dye I want, or I can choose to save my credits.

I do not come to the forums and complain that the dyes I want are too expensive and ask BW to essentially hand them to me for peanuts.

Would you go into a Ferrari dealer and ask them to lower the price because you really want a Ferrari, but you think they are too expensive?

Who said anything about BW handing them out for peanuts?

There are CM dyes in packs from well over a year ago that are basically unavailable. A suggestion was to put all CM dyes in a pack, so players might be able to use ones that they can't find or, more rarely, are ridiculously overpriced. Like all packs, they would be RNG. I'd rather buy dyes directly, but packs are what we have in this game. More sought-after dyes I'm sure would be rare.

Why would you not want to see a return of these dyes to use in the new appearance system?

Your car analogy does not translate - nobody is asking a car maker to lower a car's base price. In this situation, a car was made in 2013, and is not available to purchase.

As a player, I'd like to purchase a dye in the format BW generally provides, a CM pack.

Edited by arunav

100CC to 500CC?

The black/black dye is 2000CC those limited times it is available for direct purchase. Even the white/white is more than you "propose" as it sells for 1000CC, I believe.

I'd bet that while you may not be buying dye packs or dyes on the GTN, plenty of people ARE buying those dye packs. Some buy them to sell directly on the GTN. Some buy them in the hopes of hitting the jackpot and pulling a rare dye, either to use themselves or sell on the GTN.

Your proposed idea would likely negatively impact the sales of those dye packs.

High demand for certain dyes and low supply make those dyes sell well for high prices on the GTN. If the dyes were available for direct purchase any time you wanted one, especially for the insanely cheap prices you want to pay, the prices would drop drastically on the GTN. This would result in lower return for those who purchase the dye packs, resulting in lower dye pack sales. Lower dye pack sales means less revenue for BW.

You missed the basic point of the OP - the dyes in question aren't in the regular dye pack. They were in shipments that are no longer available for purchase, in some cases for so long the dyes aren't even on the GTN.

There's a new system launching in a couple of days based on appearance. You'd think players would want access to most or all dyes.

Please elaborate on why this makes any business sense for BW, or makes the game enjoyable for its players with the introduction of an appearance system this week?

Why would BW want to limit its CC sales by keeping dyes from 2013 essentially out of the market?

These forums are so toxic - swtor reddit is a much better place to discuss the game.

Edited by arunav

Please elaborate on why this makes any business sense for BW, or makes the game enjoyable for its players with the introduction of an appearance system this week?

Why would BW want to limit its CC sales by keeping dyes from 2013 essentially out of the market?

These forums are so toxic - swtor reddit is a much better place to discuss the game.

Ignore him. He's a crotchety old man who thinks everything is entitlement. The sooner these people leave the game. The better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.