Is it possible to play a tank with one hand?

PadsterPwns

I can only use one hand to game with and recently I have been wanting to play a tank class but I don't really know if I can, so does anyone know if its possible? Also which tank class should I play PT/Vanguard or Sith Juggernaut? Any advice would be appreciated :)

I disagree, most players strive to use one hand for everything except turning. Unless you plan to do high level PvP, if you set up good keybinds you'll be just as good as any other player.

Yeah I tried pvp earlier... it ended in me being destroyed ha ha :D So basically I would be OK to do end game content so long as I'm skilled enough?

some time ago i was playing with a friend who had only one hand. he said he was playing with a xbox-controller. and he was raiding every day, mostly with pug-groups. most of the time, if you did not know he was playing with a controller you could not see a difference from his playstile to other players. but because the controller had much less buttons to bind, there were some abilities that were not bound on his controller and he had to reach his keyboard. that was when he was very slow, for example when using the frienly pull on his sage which was bound on the keyboard.

i'm pretty sure it's possible to play a tank with one hand. it will be easier with a tank class that doesn't need to use many buttons (i imagine vanguards to be the easiest). you will need good keybinds and some practice before pugging.

+1, if you don't have a class preference VG/PT would be the easiest choice. Sins/shadows have a ton of buttons that would be difficult if you don't have a really fast hand and complex binds. However I think you could do it if you put in the work. :D

some time ago i was playing with a friend who had only one hand. he said he was playing with a xbox-controller. and he was raiding every day, mostly with pug-groups. most of the time, if you did not know he was playing with a controller you could not see a difference from his playstile to other players. but because the controller had much less buttons to bind, there were some abilities that were not bound on his controller and he had to reach his keyboard. that was when he was very slow, for example when using the frienly pull on his sage which was bound on the keyboard.

i'm pretty sure it's possible to play a tank with one hand. it will be easier with a tank class that doesn't need to use many buttons (i imagine vanguards to be the easiest). you will need good keybinds and some practice before pugging.

I didn't even know that you can use an xbox controller for SWTOR so thanks for telling me, although so far doing dps and using a keyboard has been great. Is there any reason in particular that PT/Vanguard is easier? From all the vids I've seen it looks harder due to the resource management or is it because they get a pull as well?

+1, if you don't have a class preference VG/PT would be the easiest choice. Sins/shadows have a ton of buttons that would be difficult if you don't have a really fast hand and complex binds. However I think you could do it if you put in the work. :D

I was hoping not to have to use sin/shadow so that's a relief. Like I said above, is there any reason in particular PT/Vanguard is easier? Is it due to the fact they get a pull? As from what I've seen in vids they look harder to play. Also I do have a slight preference to Jugg but not an extreme preference.

Edited by PadsterPwns

You have 2 feet, get some pedals. My old GM in WoW had them and used them for vent. They do have gaming mouse with a ton of buttons on them.

I don't really like using pedals tbh, I was more just checking there weren't too many keybinds and I actually have a keyboard with a track pad so I don't need a mouse but thanks for the advice anyway. Do you have any advice picking between Jugg and PT/Vanguard?

I don't really like using pedals tbh, I was more just checking there weren't too many keybinds and I actually have a keyboard with a track pad so I don't need a mouse but thanks for the advice anyway. Do you have any advice picking between Jugg and PT/Vanguard?

i'd go PT. suggesting gaming mouse with 20 buttons just to be sure too.

and pedals was a great suggestion:)

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I am now going to start tanking! Still not sure about the class though......

The reason people are suggesting PT/VG is because they are the easier of 3 tanking classes to learn. Their rotations are simple, they have less buttons to push usually, and they are fairly straightforward and easy to use from the beginning.

The reason people are suggesting PT/VG is because they are the easier of 3 tanking classes to learn. Their rotations are simple, they have less buttons to push usually, and they are fairly straightforward and easy to use from the beginning.

I'm still leaning towards Jugg, is it a lot harder to play? I'm only asking because I prefer the overall looks and animations. With the PT I feel the armor looks weird but the Vanguard animations put me off of it. Though I am tempted to make a Vanguard just so I can pull something and scream "Get over here!" :D

My personal experience (outdated experience, I'll admit) as a DPS is that Guard/Jugg tanks tend to have some threat issues compared to VG/PT. When last I was raiding consistently, despite his superior gear, my group's Guard tank always had threat issues against me (on my Commando), the other Commando, one of our Sentinels, and against the other tank - which was a Vanguard. This is, of course, not to say that Guard/Jugg tanks are bad in any way, and all this could have changed since September, but it's a point to consider.

For advice, I'd say go VG/PT first, get comfortable with tanking mechanics and your keybinds. Then, once you're more at ease with things, try Guard/Jugg - and then, if you like it better, roll with it and have fun.

I'm still leaning towards Jugg, is it a lot harder to play? I'm only asking because I prefer the overall looks and animations. With the PT I feel the armor looks weird but the Vanguard animations put me off of it. Though I am tempted to make a Vanguard just so I can pull something and scream "Get over here!" :D

VG could be easier for you because it has fewer buttons to press in a fight. If the number of buttons doesn't turn you off it should be perfectly fine, it's an effective tank. Threat management issues in raids only happen if you don't make good use of saber reflect (get daunting/intimidating presence!). Nothing is better than reflecting an insta-gib attack to a boss.

My personal experience (outdated experience, I'll admit) as a DPS is that Guard/Jugg tanks tend to have some threat issues compared to VG/PT. When last I was raiding consistently, despite his superior gear, my group's Guard tank always had threat issues against me (on my Commando), the other Commando, one of our Sentinels, and against the other tank - which was a Vanguard. This is, of course, not to say that Guard/Jugg tanks are bad in any way, and all this could have changed since September, but it's a point to consider.

Tanks have very solid threat generation since 3.0, in part because their damage was buffed through the disciplines system, and in part because of the gear reset.

Also, with the set bonuses reducing the cooldowns of taunts, there's no real reason not to taunt fluff (except misplaced pride...), which should eliminate any possible threat issues.

Edited by Loc_n_lol

VG could be easier for you because it has fewer buttons to press in a fight. If the number of buttons doesn't turn you off it should be perfectly fine, it's an effective tank. Threat management issues in raids only happen if you don't make good use of saber reflect (get daunting/intimidating presence!). Nothing is better than reflecting an insta-gib attack to a boss.

I was playing a sent before this and the keybinds weren't a problem, but does the Jugg tank have more keybinds? This is also my first tank so I'm guessing that goes in the PT/Vanguard's favor.

Edited by PadsterPwns

For advice, I'd say go VG/PT first, get comfortable with tanking mechanics and your keybinds. Then, once you're more at ease with things, try Guard/Jugg - and then, if you like it better, roll with it and have fun.

I might do this and if I do which should I pick PT or Vanguard? PT seems to have better animations whereas Vanguards seem to have cooler armor. Thanks for the advice btw

I might do this and if I do which should I pick PT or Vanguard?

Depends mostly on which story you want to experience, really, since, with adaptive armor, you can look like a Trooper as a Sage. Neither is really exciting or impressive, though I think the BH story was slightly better because of a twist in Ch3, while Trooper story is pretty much straight forward "BDH" fare.

For animations, if that had been my determining factor, would probably say VG. PTs bother me in that the vast majority of their attacks (attacks for Bounty Hunters in general) are for wrist-mounted weaponry - flamethrowers, wrist-rockets, and the like. I, personally, feel rather foolish on my PT waving a gun around while standing idly by, but practically never using it in combat. That may just be me, though, and I did still get my PT tank to 60. It's pretty fun and solid gameplay.

Depends mostly on which story you want to experience, really, since, with adaptive armor, you can look like a Trooper as a Sage. Neither is really exciting or impressive, though I think the BH story was slightly better because of a twist in Ch3, while Trooper story is pretty much straight forward "BDH" fare.

For animations, if that had been my determining factor, would probably say VG. PTs bother me in that the vast majority of their attacks (attacks for Bounty Hunters in general) are for wrist-mounted weaponry - flamethrowers, wrist-rockets, and the like. I, personally, feel rather foolish on my PT waving a gun around while standing idly by, but practically never using it in combat. That may just be me, though, and I did still get my PT tank to 60. It's pretty fun and solid gameplay.

Yeah I'm probably going to do Vanguard first, thanks for all the help! :D

/thread