Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

What weapon does only 68 damage?

Linuxizer

A number of things affect the actual damage deal. Range to target, power settings, weapon upgrades, (armor will not help since your shields never got taken out).

As someone said, likely rapid fire lasers hit one tick. If he was on engine power, then even more likely.

You played this for 15 minutes over two games- do you recall the games at all?

As above, asteroid or satellite light graze. This can easily deal small amounts of damage. I think this is the default assumption.

Also:

Railgun aoe.

Railgun direct hit.

Assuming your ship is actually newish, and wasn't running charged plating from ship tokens or something...

I actually don't think RFL could hit this lightly. At max range, a stock RFL will hit for 146. You would need a lot of armor to bring it low enough, and it would have to be versus bare hull.

Pretty sure it couldn't be a turret either.

A minor scrape on object is the most likely. I feel a stray extremely low charge rail or aoe could do it too. But it can't be a blaster, a pod, a mine, or a drone.

I don't think it was a railgun hit of any kind. Railguns need to be charged to some amount (I don't know the number but I guess it's around 20%) to be even able to fire a shot. Any direct hit will do more than 68 damage.

Assuming railgun damage is linear to it's state of charging then 68 damage is still not enough to be an indirect Ion hit because 50% of a railgun only charged to 10% would already be more than 90 damage.

I'm almost certain it wasn't a satellite turret, their rate of fire is too low to do only 68 damage per shot.

It must have been a scrape on an object. As it's an Imperium it may have been more scrapes because Deflection Armor and Charged Plating reduce damage taken from scrapes.

Edit: it might have been an low charge Ion Rail cleave hitting bare hull exposed by directional shields.

Edited by Danalon

I don't think it was a railgun hit of any kind. Railguns need to be charged to some amount (I don't know the number but I guess it's around 20%) to be even able to fire a shot. Any direct hit will do more than 68 damage.

Assuming railgun damage is linear to it's state of charging then 68 damage is still not enough to be an indirect Ion hit because 50% of a railgun only charged to 10% would already be more than 90 damage.

I'm almost certain it wasn't a satellite turret, their rate of fire is too low to do only 68 damage per shot.

It must have been a scrape on an object. As it's an Imperium it may have been more scrapes because Deflection Armor and Charged Plating reduce damage taken from scrapes.

Not sure... I feel like I've seen Ion splash do numbers that small. It IS most likely a minor scrape, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ion rail splash damage could do a number that small.

Not sure... I feel like I've seen Ion splash do numbers that small. It IS most likely a minor scrape, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ion rail splash damage could do a number that small.

[removed]

Edit: I might be wrong with the Ion Rail cleave.

I forgot that the Imperium does have directional shields, so it is possible he has his hull exposed (in one direction at least) and he could have been hit by an Ion Rail cleave for 68 damage.

Edited by Danalon

I am fairly certain that if a gunship dies with less than adequate charge, the railshot still fires. Rails have the mechanics for firing single digits, and could at launch- it was the whole thing where their other effects were NOT scaled that got the minimum charge put in. Though ion rail later got scaling on the energy drain, the various "-evasion", "-armor", "0 energy regen", and "40% snare" debuffs still apply in full.

This ship has 15 minutes played. I mean, he could have popped tokens all over its face and had charged plating up, but.....

(1) he would have mentioned that.

(2) I'm pretty sure shield damage counts in that number.

Even the front arc of backwards directionals has more than 68 I think.

If shield damage DOESN'T count, then it's not even hard- any weapon that had 68 left over when the shield went down. But I'm pretty sure shields count.

Most likely is small scrape, by whole lots.

Edited by Verain

[removed]

Edit: I might be wrong with the Ion Rail cleave.

I forgot that the Imperium does have directional shields, so it is possible he has his hull exposed (in one direction at least) and he could have been hit by an Ion Rail cleave for 68 damage.

Yeah, not sure. It seems low. I mean, I know I've seen an "8" tick off an ion rail cleave before, but that involved a kill, so it was all the hull the guy left (and annoying, since I was going for only assists that game). Generally speaking, and without doing the math, I would think minimum ion rail splash would be in the 90-120 range.

I thought about the hull thing as well, but based on the screen, that seems insanely unlikely... The 68 damage is the ONLY damage he'd taken in that ship, ever (through 2 games), and shield damage prior to would have registered as damage. Even with directional, I can only imagine that rear/front arc would still have more strength than that 68. So the only way outside of sc****** that it could even be hull damage would mean that he somehow had no shields... Which maybe if he didn't have the 1st upgrade and had been swapping around a lot could happen... Just seems very unlikely.

I am fairly certain that if a gunship dies with less than adequate charge, the railshot still fires. Rails have the mechanics for firing single digits, and could at launch- it was the whole thing where their other effects were NOT scaled that got the minimum charge put in. Though ion rail later got scaling on the energy drain, the various "-evasion", "-armor", "0 energy regen", and "40% snare" debuffs still apply in full.

Hadn't thought about that. I believe you're right based on my time recently learning a GS. So this could be a possible scenario. Still seems like some pretty insane coincidental setup, though.

Edited by nyghtrunner

Another thing people havent mentioned, andthat I just thought about....

1. Sab Probe, I am pretty sure does that little damage

2. That one really really bad Crew ability..... Lingering effects with a little bit of DR..... (5% which is the standard for example will take it from 114 to a pathetic, 109.... and this is OVER 6 seconds as a dot, if the game ended before the final tick went off 68 would be "all to easy"

It was an Imperium with no component changes or upgrades yet and some crew changes. Co-pilot ability was Wingman.

A fender bender is quite possible.

Actually, 3 kills from 1360 damage is interesting, too. In the first match, she fired 46 shots of rapid laser, hit 9 times and stole I mean earned 3 kills. In the second match, she fired one shot of rapid laser and got an assist.

1. Sab Probe, I am pretty sure does that little damage

There's no combination of sab probe ticks that does exactly that much damage.

2. That one really really bad Crew ability..... Lingering effects

There's no combination of Lingering Effect ticks that does exactly that much damage. Lingering effect requires other damage to trigger. Lingering effect would need a non-achievable amount of DR to deal that much damage and be on hull, and there's no way to get past the shield.

Both rely on a very prompt end of game as well.

I mean, those are pretty good GSF trivia, but they couldn't explain it.

Shield damage counts, don't be silly.

Ion railguns that splash sometimes show low numbers when the *kill* the target... When you kill a target you only see the exact damage required to kill it. This is why EMP missiles only hit mines for 150, but drones/turrets/ships for the full amount. Obviously this is not the case since he has never died and only took 68 total.

Shield damage counts, don't be silly.

Sure, but that's my point. For Lingering Effect to be in the running, it would have to be on hull with a confusing set of upgrades- since it can't just be on hull (and can't be triggered without another damage source), it's out of the running.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.