The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

When does AP powertech come into it's own?

jjschm

So I have a level 45 AP PT and I have to say the rotation seems a bit bland and the damage feels underwhelming in PvE. Thermal detonator, retractable blade, rocket punch, and then spamming magnetic blast until something procs or comes off cooldown. And the damage does not seem very good. Am I just not seeing something or does AP blossom later than 45? Spamming magnetic blast which seems to do average damage at best makes me feel really weak next to other dps specs I've played. I also seem to have heat problems still in some fights and I seem to use basic attacks more than any other clas ls I've played, which is no fun. Thanks for any comments. Edited by jjschm

So I have a level 45 AP PT and I have to say the rotation seems a bit bland and the damage feels underwhelming in PvE.

First: Reach Level 60 to get access to all of the styles ;) Energy Burst at Level 57 ist one of the most damaging abilities you have compared to other instant skills

Advanced Prototype deals a large amount of dmg if played well. Its strength comes from the huge burst capacities.

My Railshot hits nearly 15.000, and for a 6 sec cd skill this is pretty hard :)

The Heat is very easy to handle because you only need to keep in mind that your rotation is divided into 4-GCD-Blocks between the PPA-Proc.

If above 20 Heat you want to use Rapidshots, otherwise Magnetic Blast and every 4th GCD Magnetic Blast/Rocket Punch to trigger the PPA.

However, keep in mind that Advanced Prototype is a Burst-Spec, so it should never do the same sustained dmg like a DoT-Spec ;)

AP ist one of the most viable Melee-DPS specs in the game. The Utility of this spec are awesome. And the combination of Utility and DPS makes the entire spec awesome :D I play it for over 2 Years now and I can say: it is a good choice for pve.

Edited by BlindGuard

So basically I need to ride it out to 60? And I'm not off base for thinking the rotation is lacking something right now?

Well pre-3.0 the rotation had IM instead of RB, so that had to be manually refreshed every 18 seconds (you would use Combustible Gas Cylinder as your stance and that dot is what was refreshed), and the rotation felt complete when you had to use that as well. But with RB on an auto-refresh, you need EB to replace it.

Also note without the level 59 passive, you miss out on 30 seconds less on Vent Heat / Thermal Sensor Override, and that reduction is great for resource management.

For now though, use TSO on death from above, spam magnetic blast when resource cooldowns are up, only use DFA with TSO, and when nothing is up use rapid shots if TD/RP/PPA/RS are on cooldown (PPA = Prototype Particle Accelerator proc) and heat is > 20

Thanks. I guess I'm a little frustrated that the burst spec is having troubles with resource management and sustained damage. I guess it's a matter of re-adjusting expectations and grinding through it.

As someone whose favorite spec in the game is AP by a mile, I personally prefer Shieldtech for leveling. Though I never felt like things weren't dying fast in AP -- I rather wanted an ability off the GCD and fast channeling Flamethrower in addition to better defenses to minimize downtime in between fights. Could be a gear issue?

Yeah, until you get to 57 and get energy burst you are missing out on your hardest hitting attack. I play AP at lvl 60 and the damage is fantastic, and decent survivability if you know a few tricks. Hang in there, it does get better.

I'd say when you get PPA. Me, personally started enjoying it when I got AP(TD for you PTs) on lvl 41. But PPA is surely the turning point. It's not unplayable like PlasmaTech is until level 50 and something...

I'd say when you get PPA. Me, personally started enjoying it when I got AP(TD for you PTs) on lvl 41. But PPA is surely the turning point. It's not unplayable like PlasmaTech is until level 50 and something...

I disagree with Plasma being unplayable until 50-something. There are periods of unplayability, but these do not show up till later.

Plasma is great from level 12 onwards, cause you can have Shrap Satchel by then, so your flame sweeps are incredible

I disagree with Plasma being unplayable until 50-something. There are periods of unplayability, but these do not show up till later.

Plasma is great from level 12 onwards, cause you can have Shrap Satchel by then, so your flame sweeps are incredible

I emphatically disagree. Even tho I have an utmost respect for you, this is flatout untrue. Just compare what some other discs get and what you get. Hell! There's no need to go even to another class. Hell! Not even another AC! Compare how Tactics progresses and how PlasmaTech progresses. Tactics can have fun and do most of its rotation from level 32 onwards. Plasma? Good luck spamming! I mean, I'd rework PlasmaTech imo. This is a question to you kwerty:

How would you feel if Ionstorm and ShockStrike switched places?

I am asking you because I trust you more that I trust this fail dev team anyhow. I trust you more than I trust most here anyhow. ;)

edit: I am and always were a PlasmaTech. Just fyi ;) .

Edited by Cuiwe

I emphatically disagree. Even tho I have an utmost respect for you, this is flatout untrue. Just compare what some other discs get and what you get. Hell! There's no need to go even to another class. Hell! Not even another AC! Compare how Tactics progresses and how PlasmaTech progresses. Tactics can have fun and do most of its rotation from level 32 onwards. Plasma? Good luck spamming! I mean, I'd rework PlasmaTech imo. This is a question to you kwerty:

How would you feel if Ionstorm and ShockStrike switched places?

I am asking you because I trust you more that I trust this fail dev team anyhow. I trust you more than I trust most here anyhow. ;)

edit: I am and always were a PlasmaTech. Just fyi ;) .

Lets ask a simple question: How many fights while levelling will take more than 30 seconds? The answer is none.

Lets put it this way:

At level 10, Plasmatech gets Shockstrike. This is the best of the 2 DPS options for a level 10 ability because it hits like a truck, as such Plasmatech gets a 3rd of its burst immediately (other 2/3s being Auto-Crit HiB + Fire Pulse)

At level 12, Plasmatech gets the Plasma Cell DoT on half of its abilities automatically. This makes Explosive Surge incredible at blowing up Adds. Hell, explosive surge is comparable with pre-nerf Forcequake after level 12.

While it is true that Tactics gets the stronger sticky grenade and Mortar Volley at this level, both of them are restricted by cooldowns, and in the case of sticky grenade, half the time everything it was going to hit is dead before it explodes anyway.

At level 16, Tactics gets the sundered debuff and slightly more Gut damage, while Plasmatech gets a shorter cooldown on Pulse Cannon for more AoE damage.

At level 20, Tactics gets a slight resource return and a decent armor pen on High Impact Bolt, whereas Plasmatech gets a decent boost to Plasma Cell damage.

Level 26, Incendiary Round > Tactical Surge

Level 28, Plasmatech gets a great resource return system, whereas tactics gets a slight boost to everything

So by this point, Plasmatech has better Burst and better AoE, whereas Tactics was focusing on sustained damage. Which is hilarious.

Level 32 is when tactics actually starts getting decent abilities in Tactical Accelerator, but its still got nothing on Plasmatech's amazing AoE damage, and pretty much everything while leveling has buddys hanging around it to be aoed down too.

Level 36 is also when Plasmatech gets its auto-crit HiB, which is nice, while tactics is once again getting sustained buffs (+3% damage to bleeding targets)

Level 40 gives Pulse Generator to Plasmatech, which makes its AoE even more ridiculous

Hell, it takes until level 41 before Tactics actually starts looking sort-of like a burst spec with Thermal Detonator (though without Charged Loaders you miss out on half your SC damage, and without Cell Burst you lack the ability to combo 2 12k hits together). Meanwhile, Plasmatech gets Fire Pulse, which is great because its cheap, and builds a stack of pulse generator.

I will admit though, level 41 is when Plasmatech has to start watching its heat, because it doesn't get Plasma Barrage until level 56. So from 41 - 55, Tactics is the better spec for bossfights, though Plasmatech still shines in AoE situations.

Oh and tactics sucks from level 57-59 because you are resource starved for 30 extra seconds at a time because you don't get the reduced CDs on resource management until level 59.

And come 3.2 tomorrow, Plasma is gonna get even better, what with Pulse Generator needing less stacks and doing more damage, adding a DoT spread, reducing Scorches cost, and slightly increasing the burst through more SC damage to burning targets (alongside HiB + Shockstrike).

AS FOR SWAPPING SHOCKSTRIKE + ION STORM

They'd have to drop quite a bit of damage from Ion Storm for this to be balanced, because, lets be honest, Ion Storm is currently twice as strong as pulse cannon, and Shockstrike is about 33% stronger than Stockstrike. So if the swap happened unchanged, Plasmatech would end up about 15% stronger. Which is ridiculous.

Edited by TACeMossie

Lets ask a simple question: How many fights while levelling will take more than 30 seconds? The answer is none.

Lets put it this way:

At level 10, Plasmatech gets Shockstrike. This is the best of the 2 DPS options for a level 10 ability because it hits like a truck, as such Plasmatech gets a 3rd of its burst immediately (other 2/3s being Auto-Crit HiB + Fire Pulse)

At level 12, Plasmatech gets the Plasma Cell DoT on half of its abilities automatically. This makes Explosive Surge incredible at blowing up Adds. Hell, explosive surge is comparable with pre-nerf Forcequake after level 12.

While it is true that Tactics gets the stronger sticky grenade and Mortar Volley at this level, both of them are restricted by cooldowns, and in the case of sticky grenade, half the time everything it was going to hit is dead before it explodes anyway.

At level 16, Tactics gets the sundered debuff and slightly more Gut damage, while Plasmatech gets a shorter cooldown on Pulse Cannon for more AoE damage.

At level 20, Tactics gets a slight resource return and a decent armor pen on High Impact Bolt, whereas Plasmatech gets a decent boost to Plasma Cell damage.

Level 26, Incendiary Round > Tactical Surge

Level 28, Plasmatech gets a great resource return system, whereas tactics gets a slight boost to everything

So by this point, Plasmatech has better Burst and better AoE, whereas Tactics was focusing on sustained damage. Which is hilarious.

Level 32 is when tactics actually starts getting decent abilities in Tactical Accelerator, but its still got nothing on Plasmatech's amazing AoE damage, and pretty much everything while leveling has buddys hanging around it to be aoed down too.

Level 36 is also when Plasmatech gets its auto-crit HiB, which is nice, while tactics is once again getting sustained buffs (+3% damage to bleeding targets)

Level 40 gives Pulse Generator to Plasmatech, which makes its AoE even more ridiculous

Hell, it takes until level 41 before Tactics actually starts looking sort-of like a burst spec with Thermal Detonator (though without Charged Loaders you miss out on half your SC damage, and without Cell Burst you lack the ability to combo 2 12k hits together). Meanwhile, Plasmatech gets Fire Pulse, which is great because its cheap, and builds a stack of pulse generator.

I will admit though, level 41 is when Plasmatech has to start watching its heat, because it doesn't get Plasma Barrage until level 56. So from 41 - 55, Tactics is the better spec for bossfights, though Plasmatech still shines in AoE situations.

Oh and tactics sucks from level 57-59 because you are resource starved for 30 extra seconds at a time because you don't get the reduced CDs on resource management until level 59.

And come 3.2 tomorrow, Plasma is gonna get even better, what with Pulse Generator needing less stacks and doing more damage, adding a DoT spread, reducing Scorches cost, and slightly increasing the burst through more SC damage to burning targets (alongside HiB + Shockstrike).

AS FOR SWAPPING SHOCKSTRIKE + ION STORM

They'd have to drop quite a bit of damage from Ion Storm for this to be balanced, because, lets be honest, Ion Storm is currently twice as strong as pulse cannon, and Shockstrike is about 33% stronger than Stockstrike. So if the swap happened unchanged, Plasmatech would end up about 15% stronger. Which is ridiculous.

I agree that Ionstorm would a nerf. ~7,5 - ~8k dmg would be perfect. Plus, even if it happened, it's not like it would become a no-skill braindead disc would it? The dmg it'd do(according to dulfy numbers) would be ~= master strike. Hence I agree with a 10-15% nerf if this were to happen(which would not :p). But you have to agree that thematically speaking, Ionstorm fits PlasmaTech more, while shockstrike fits shieldspec more. Maybe even from the point of game design. The way they revamped Vanguard was...odd.

What I'd like and you have to agree with this is if the insulated augs and Plasma barrage swapped places(Restore the sh.strike part). One is meaningless while other is a necessity. This simple change would make PlasmaTech SO FUN to level!

TAC when is your optimal build spec for AP/Tactics changing? you said 3.2 you will have to have a different build setup. does that mean today or later 3.2.X changes? :)

The 3.2 update will be out this weekend, as I have a lot of uni today + Friday, and thursday is when I'll get most of the guide out of the way.

Hopefully.

Regardless, here's my newly formed rotation for Pyrotech/Plasmatech due to changes from 3.2 and 3.1.1, intended on maximizing APM, though not taking advantage of resource cooldowns.

VANGUARD TERMS

PT -> IR -> SHS -> PC -> HiB -> HS -> FP -> IP -> HS ->

ShS -> IR -> HS -> PC -> HiB -> SHS -> FP -> IP -> HS ->

POWERTECHS

SCH -> IMs -> FF -> FT -> RS -> RpS -> IMl -> FB -> HS ->

FF -> IMs -> RpS -> FT -> RS -> FF -> IMl -> FB -> HS ->

The rotation with a set bonus will be 1 energy/heat positive, meaning it is entirely sustainable without the need of resource cooldowns. Resource cooldowns should be used to replace Hammer Shots/Rapid Shots with Ion Pulse/Flame Burst while under the effects of the 2-piece set bonus, especially in order to get the 6-piece to activate.

Pulse Cannon/Flamethrower is delayed that 1 extra GCD as you no longer have a free Ion Pulse/Flame Burst after High Impact Bolt/Rail Shot, so there is no need to delay the Flaming Fist/Shockstrike that would have ended up there. On top of that, having an ability with a 15s cooldown followup the Pulse Cannon/Flamethrower will make it much easier to avoid losing APM - but be careful not to clip PC/Flamethrower.

EDIT - Thanks to the collosal monolyth being confirmed to drop 204-rating MK-2 Mainhands, I will have to add an extra section titled "Complete BiS" which uses the 204 mainhand + enhancements. Which is nice.

Edited by TACeMossie