Can you tweak bolster so it's more effective for 30s in the 30-59 bracket then?

Lhancelot

Here is the reason for people who missed it, why it would be difficult to create more brackets for PVP, as noted by Alex himself.

Good question DynamiCtagez!

Just to be clear we could have a 30-49 and a 50-59 bracket but the reason we don’t right now is because we must balance between two factors in the regular Warzone queue; queue population and character level makeup/competitive mix. In theory, if we had an infinite number of characters in the queue (thus eliminating population from the equation) we would have a bracket for each level, as that would be the most effective at making sure the match the queue creates is supremely competitive, from a strictly character level base. However this is not the case, so in 3.0 we made the decision to go with a 30-59 bracket because it was the best solution for the balance between population/queue size and to get the best competitive mix. We are listening and understand the feedback that the disparity between the Discipline tree and utility points is not making for the best competitive mix seen in some matches. Please continue to give feedback including level makeup, time of the match, faction makeup, and server so we can pinpoint examples within the data. The current brackets are something that could change in the future based on y'alls feedback and data, so the brackets are never set in stone for all of eternity.

Alex Modny | Assistant Designer

Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook

[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

This being acknowledged is in itself a great step in moving towards the right direction! What I want to point out, is that as many have brought up and proven with their own experiments is that bolster is granting an incremental boost per level after 30 to 59 to mainstats and health. What this means is, by the time a character is 55-59 they not only have added abilities due to higher lvls in their respective trees, but an additional 9-13k more health and tons of added mainstat which means they hit harder and they heal substantially better than the lower levels!

We do not need to spread the levels even thinner with more level brackets making for longer, slower queues for pvp! What we need is the bolster to be tweaked so that lower lvls get a boost to health and mainstats so they can compete better with the higher lvls.

The disparity between characters due to skills/abilities because of lvls is hard to get around, and it's bearable as long as the lower lvls are not at a severe disadvantage with their stats in the warzones. This is also proven by the lowest pvp bracket, which has lower lvls that can still compete with the higher lvls in that tier. If this issue is fixed, pvp will be playable again in the mids bracket.

Just wanted to say thank you to Alex Modny for coming to the forums, as nasty as this place is, to at least show some transparency and willingness to TRY to reach out to the community. This will improve things by leaps and bounds by simply showing some sort of effort to communicate with our angry mobs. Kudos.

I agree about rather have fair/good matches less frequently, but BW seems to think most people would rather have quick matches. And I guess I would admit that it depends on how "less frequently". I'll sit in the queue for 20 minutes, I don't care, because I'm usually doing other non-game busy work while waiting. But if I'm going to sit for 2 hours... well that usually my whole gaming night, so that would kinda suck.

Also, Alex has posted in another thread, that I'm to lazy to link to, but I know I've seen it, that they have now admitted that bolster in the mid-bracket is messed up, and are working on a fix. [Edit: Ok, I decided not to be that lazy, here's the link : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=804407 ]

Edited by Banderal

Personally, I prefer fair matches from often matches,

or, in other words : I personally prefer matches that are more fair over a high number of pops.

But maybe others have different opinions.

That's pretty hard to say since less pops could very well mean 0-1 an hour

That's pretty hard to say since less pops could very well mean 0-1 an hour

On my server I get that for FPs & OPs sometimes as well ... So I'm used to that ... To me it's almost normal ... Being on an small server makes things look differently ...

Edited by AlrikFassbauer