Kinda noobish Trooper question

Trevallian

Hey Fellas, I've been playing for well over a year, but usually as my first love, a Jedi. Most of the time it's, "Totally in your face!" style of melee combat. I do have a Shadow, but hes kinda crap, or at least my version is. I've got a Sentinel as well, but I mostly play Guardians and their Sith equivalent . I have to say, the Sorcerer is kinda cool though, My one and only non force user toon, is a Smuggler/gunslinger who is also a lot cooler than I thought he would be (I just totally love his outlook on things :D).

Anyways, onto the point of all this. Yesterday I decided to do something completely different and I started a Trooper character. I've got him up to level 11 and he's just started the Coruscant missions. I went the commando option, because I thought it offered a more different play style, and I chose the Gunnery spec, but I kinda think I should have gone with the medic option. The main problem I have is that I can't see all the skills and powers, other than the spec ones (and have no experience with playing Troopers to compensate for this), until I make the choice, so I was a little concerned that the Medic toon wouldn't be able to stand up on his own, if you know what I mean? I've also maxed out my CC (on real life crap, hahaha:p) and my Cartel cupboard is bare! So I'm not able to give him the same level of Gucci'ness that I have my other toons.

I guess what I'm really getting at is this...

1. Is the Medic a viable option

2. Is it possible to change your spec, like you used to be able to do with your skills (I haven't had to do this since the big reshuffle, so I really just don't know).

3. How easy is it to get decent orange Trooper gear at low cost, preferably in-game credits.

Any help, advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Edited by Trevallian

1. Is the Medic a viable option

Viable for what, exactly? End-game ops healing? PvP? Just solo leveling?

2. Is it possible to change your spec, like you used to be able to do with your skills (I haven't had to do this since the big reshuffle, so I really just don't know).

Should still be, yeah. Button marked "Abandon" on the skill tree screen, bottom right corner of the left-hand frame of the window, I think.

3. How easy is it to get decent orange Trooper gear at low cost, preferably in-game credits.

Depends on how exactly you want to look, what kinds of reputations you have, and how many creds you've got. For my trooper, his helmet alone was 100k+, but it was a very specific helmet skin which seems to be rather rare.

You raise a good point there dude. I should have been clearer. What I meant by "Viable", was if he was good enough to get through on his own in PvE. I'm sure he'll be good enough in a crowd.

I just wanted to know if the Medic would be a worthwhile character choice, or if I should just stick with the Gunnery option.

Medic should be fine if you use a tank or DPS companion, though either will need pretty good gear. And you'll likely need to pitch in for damage and tactics, as well - drop your Volley/Hail, lop Sticky/Plasma Grenades, CC things and pray your comp doesn't break them out, etc. I leveled my Smuggler as Sawbones this way for quite some time, and it usually worked out pretty well.

You raise a good point there dude. I should have been clearer. What I meant by "Viable", was if he was good enough to get through on his own in PvE. I'm sure he'll be good enough in a crowd.

I just wanted to know if the Medic would be a worthwhile character choice, or if I should just stick with the Gunnery option.

que?

or
? Edited by Ridickilis

I don't care to do healer classes when solo PVEing. Quite frankly it just takes too long to grind through dailies. (Like twice as long.) I do the daily grinds on my DPS toons and save the healer for PVPing or Operations. God ... I don't even want to think about how long it would take to kill Revan as a healer.

But if you have a desire to PVP (especially in ranked) you should stick with a healer. The DPS trees just have no survivability in 4 v 4 currently.

As for gearing, why would you need to spend any money? Once you get to Yavin 4, each class has a gear vendor there with basic modifiable 186 gear that you can get with simple daily comms. The only thing you can't get there is your mainhand and relics. The most I think the items cost is 120 comms. Run dailies on a regular basis and you should be drowning in basic comms once you hit 60.

And since there are two weekly quests at Yavin 4 that give you companion level 192 main weapon and a full non-modifiable gear set, you don't even need to save your basic comms to gear them. Your main companion of choice will be better geared than you will be after one weekly - daily run at Yavin 4.

The only costs you should have is to buy a barrel for your mainhand, get a mainhand, and rip the 186 mods out of the offhand to put into your mainhand. Then it is just a matter of augmenting your character in level 186 augments of your choice.

This basic augmented gear should be more than sufficient to do the initial level operations to get the 192 gear.

Edited by ForceWelder