Is it time to refresh the Subscriber/F2P model?

GrimRita

Exactly... people make it sound like so much of this stuff doesn't exist anywhere else but here. EVERY f2p MMO that also has a subscription requires unlocks for stuff...if not what is the point of a subscription. Honestly...if you want a 100% f2p game you NEED to go to these games because in a hybrid model these things ALWAYS exist.

Yes, all F2P MMOs have unlocks, but let say Tera for example.

The unlocks you may need are:

-Extra character slots

-Extra bank space

And I don't think there's another...

Let's list the unlocks in SWTOR:

-Extra characters

-Artifact gear

-Cargo Hold

-Hide Helm

-Unify Colors

-Show Title

-Access to guild bank

-Access to LvL cap

-Access to extra quickbars

-Access to extra crew skills

Then we have a few more that are not unlock-able but consumables: access to OPs even if you own the expansions which kinda feel wrong since it means you're basically locked out of owned content if Preferred, revive probes, Credit limits, GSF/WZs limitations and I think that's it.

SWTOR is like other F2P/Sub Hybrids yes, it's not that "...people make it sound like so much of this stuff doesn't exist anywhere else but here" it's that in SWTOR it's harsher.

The credit cap in particular, for Preferred at least, seems arbitrary when we have many reputation vendors selling 500k/1 million credit items it seems to me that preferred should be able to buy stuff they earned trough reputation, then again that's mostly fluff.

P.S. You say SWTOR is "honest' yet it claims to be F2P, when in facts it's much more like like WoW then and actual F2P MMO, free to try but requires purchases and subscription to play fully.

If anything SWTOR is dishonest since unless you track down the restrictions you may believe it's F2P since unlike WoW it doesn't have in the registration form or trailers a "free to play up to lvl 50" in it's tag when WoW makes it very clear only the 1st 20 lvl are free.

I mean even the "Choose Your Path" video has a Play for Free on it, never mentioning "but only up to lvl 50 though".

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see Tera limitations... they have a weird system where you have "elite" (subscriber), f2p and "founder" (those who purchased Tera before "Tera:Rising" launched. The below is just the differences between elite and f2p. You can add founder bonuses if you owned the game before a dead line to elite as I understand (what a SHOCKER they tried to get people to buy the game in a big way before they engaged their model)

the limitations across the various tiers (they swap em around)

-Need to buy additional dungeons cooldowns and don't get double daily entries

-lower bonus dungeon awards

-only 10 vs 20 daily bonus quests

-subs get free consumeables

-NO daily items and bonuses (subs get xp along with daily gold and rep boosts)

-subs get a free elite mount

-limit to how much coin you can send per mail

-fewer broker postings

-Subscribers have NO posting fee on the broker f2p does

-no store discounts, subs get one

And for some of those limits there is NO buy around....none whatsoever. So will say "SWTOR make me buy this "privilege" and I will say Tera doesn't let a f2p player have that privilege at all... which do you think is worse?

It's all a shell game man... one game gets the f2p player here and the other game gets ya there BUT they all get ya. People will say "oh Tera's model is better" but that is only because that model doesn't get them where it matters to THEM. In the end they all get somebody, it just depends on where your interests lie. That is the entire point of f2p... to make you THINK you are getting a good deal to sucker you in to paying more money than you would with the old school subscription only games. The only difference between em is how transparent they are.

As for your last bit can you play the game without a sub? Does SWTOR make you fully aware of the detriments of not having a sub on their web site? http://www.swtor.com/free/features. The answer to both is clearly yes.... This = honesty. You may not like their model but it does not mean they are dishonest about it.

I know people REALLY REALLY REALLY want to think there is a f2p game out there that is a "better" model, that is not as bad as SWTOR...sorry there smply isn't. These companies say they are your friend and they are...right up until it's about their bottom line. They use marketingspin and variations on the same theme to create an illusion that they are your friend after that. Capitalism is a harsh mistress.

Edited by Ghisallo

And what if they don't care about credits or endgame? Doesn't really fit with your argument, does it?

In fact that whole line of thinking doesn't fit because if you've come to the point in the game where those things matter, you have literally come to the crossroads of whether the game is worth investing in or not, you will know all the perks, the pros, cons and all that is entailed in having a subscription and you make your choice.

Whih part of "they'll be long gone before even reaching the crossroads point" you don't get? Speeder, quickbars, hiding helmet restrictions hit you almost right at the start and leave really bad, tedious first impression of the game. Along with "F2P can't do this and that" signs plastered all over the game. Go make a new account and try it.

The things that you mentioned are also things that can be unlocked without a subscription. Those unlocks can be purchased either directly from the CM or with credits via the GTN.
No new player has cash to buy unlocks like that on GTN before hitting late 40s.

Exactly... people make it sound like so much of this stuff doesn't exist anywhere else but here. EVERY f2p MMO that also has a subscription requires unlocks for stuff...if not what is the point of a subscription. Honestly...if you want a 100% f2p game you NEED to go to these games because in a hybrid model these things ALWAYS exist.

Ability to hide helmet? Unify colors? QUICKBARS? No, most F2P mmos rely on vanity pets, extra server slot etc. Not the most BASIC functions.

Edited by Pietrastor

Whih part of "they'll be long gone before even reaching the crossroads point" you don't get? Speeder, quickbars, hiding helmet restrictions hit you almost right at the start and leave really bad, tedious first impression of the game. Along with "F2P can't do this and that" signs plastered all over the game. Go make a new account and try it.

I tried F2P once I made it all the way to 47 before I decided the restrictions were annoying me to much and went back to a sub so your claim is only half true as some will choose to sub over leaving.

so your claim is only half true as some will choose to sub over leaving.
More like 90% true. Very few people who try pure F2P version of TOR stay and eventualy sub. Many potential customers are lost. Look no further than drop in population between starter planets and Balmorra/Taris. Edited by Pietrastor

IMO, you are wrong. IMO, the crossroads point is different for everyone, but it is that point at which a player decides whether to subscribe or to leave the game.

This is only my opinion, and your opinion may vary. Those that choose to leave the game likely would have done so anyway, so there is nothing lost with those players. Those that choose to stick it out and play the game will either accept the restrictions (recognizing that you get what you pay for) or they will choose to subscribe or purchase some of the unlocks.

No new player has cash to buy unlocks like that on GTN before hitting late 40s.

This is NOT a solo game. Those players may very well have friends or a guild that can help them out. If they do not, then I would ask "Why not"?

Alternatively, small purchases of CC's will allow those unlocks to be purchased over a period of time. There is no requirement that all unlocks be purchased at the same time.

Ability to hide helmet? Unify colors? QUICKBARS? No, most F2P mmos rely on vanity pets, extra server slot etc. Not the most BASIC functions.

This is NOT a F2P game. There is an F2P OPTION, but it is not an F2P game.

If you want the benefits that a subscriber gets, then pay the minimal cost of $15/month to subscribe. As others have noted, if $15/month would break you, then maybe you should be spending your time engaged in activities other than playing video games.

It's kinda like I asked in the past. If you can't afford $15 each month how are you managing Your Rent, Utilities, groceries, and other misc items such as the internet?

If you can't afford $15 then you need to step back and reevaluate your life and your priorities in that life.

More like 90% true. Very few people who try pure F2P version of TOR stay and eventualy sub. Many potential customers are lost. Look no further than drop in population between starter planets and Balmorra/Taris.

Well I can only speak for myself. I did F2P for 2 months before deciding to sub. I didn't sub because of a lack of features, but because I determined the game was worth 15/month. The only thing I realized was everything requiring purchase did not limit the game for me in any way up until I got to mid 40s where there were some purples that dropped and I couldn't equip, though I made it to the end of the story on my imperial agent in any case. The only other thing that annoyed me personally, was the lack of chat feature after leaving the starting planet or up until you reach level 10. That still didn't keep me from experiencing the game enough to decide whether it was worth the money or not.

From my point of view, I can't imagine most people seeing it differently, even if they are much more hard core MMO players, they get plenty of access to group content to see if they enjoy it.

Bottom line is the company is in it for money, and giving so much access to the game for free, well that seems quite generous to me.

Hide helmet and unify colors are vanity things, not a required basic function. I dunno about anyone else, but I've very rarely ever bothered to wear the occasional artifact gear I came across, or purple mods I've made.

I admit, it is nice having extra quick slots to fill with skills, but you really can get by with just two. Just pick the abilities you use in your rotation, and leave the rest in the Powers Panel to click on, like Speeders, Class Buffs, Social Skills, QT, FP, Stances, Stealth and abilities you don't use (Sorc Saber Strike, looking at you).

Lets see Tera limitations... they have a weird system where you have "elite" (subscriber), f2p and "founder" (those who purchased Tera before "Tera:Rising" launched. The below is just the differences between elite and f2p. You can add founder bonuses if you owned the game before a dead line to elite as I understand (what a SHOCKER they tried to get people to buy the game in a big way before they engaged their model)

the limitations across the various tiers (they swap em around)

-fewer broker postings

And for some of those limits there is NO buy around....none whatsoever. So will say "SWTOR make me buy this "privilege" and I will say Tera doesn't let a f2p player have that privilege at all... which do you think is worse?

It's all a shell game man... one game gets the f2p player here and the other game gets ya there BUT they all get ya. People will say "oh Tera's model is better" but that is only because that model doesn't get them where it matters to THEM. In the end they all get somebody, it just depends on where your interests lie. That is the entire point of f2p... to make you THINK you are getting a good deal to sucker you in to paying more money than you would with the old school subscription only games. The only difference between em is how transparent they are.

As for your last bit can you play the game without a sub? Does SWTOR make you fully aware of the detriments of not having a sub on their web site? http://www.swtor.com/free/features. The answer to both is clearly yes.... This = honesty. You may not like their model but it does not mean they are dishonest about it.

I know people REALLY REALLY REALLY want to think there is a f2p game out there that is a "better" model, that is not as bad as SWTOR...sorry there smply isn't. These companies say they are your friend and they are...right up until it's about their bottom line. They use marketingspin and variations on the same theme to create an illusion that they are your friend after that. Capitalism is a harsh mistress.

I'll just approach the Tera "limitations" you mentioned I don't have much time):

This just means you can only queue from the cross-server once via group finder and get that reward, if you enter the dungeon by walking in you can just reset the instance and dropped loot inside remains the same

Hardly noticeable

There's a weekly 20 mission reward, meaning it takes 2 days rather then one, no biggy

The best consumables are universal teleports, you can buy them for cheap but for specific towns it's nothing more then a stackable version of several scrolls, also all consummables can be bought with the currency you are given on log in every day

It takes little time to get to cap and since there is no repair bills every coin you make is your own, also cash dropped from mobs only is afflicted, not rewards for quests where the real money is at

Everyone one gets a free basic mount and there is a quest that demands half an hour to complete and gives you an elite mount with no lvl restriction

The shared bank accepts any amount of coins and they are in every large town and most small ones

-fewer broker postings

10 listing is plenty, 30 is too much and 50 is overkill, keep in mind you can bargain with a poster via the games "GTN" 1o is enough when you have to keep track of that

5% fee for posting based on average brokered price on the item for F2P (none for elite), which also means buying from the auction house is safer since the game actively tracks by how much an items is sold

No biggie since the physical version of the game and it's code still allows for Founder status even today, with all the perks, meaning that if you really feel the "limitations" are too much you can easily track down a retail version get max bank space and characters slots with an elite mount for all characters

Editing: make it easier to read.

P.S. On the honesty bit, just pointing out SWTOR keeps the fact you need to buy the last 10 lvl out of their publicity spots, that is all.

Edited by Devrius

They slightly refreshed the current model after all. :D

I don't know if it was already mentioned, but on PTS many transport cooldowns have been reduced and what is worth noting is that sub and pref share the same CDs. It's a good change. Prefs are usually former subs so they deserve better treatment and 30 mins on QT with all unlocked perks was awful. It's a great relief in comparison to the current terrible cooldowns.

No. Just No.

The F2P model in SWTOR is extremely generous. I don't want any more spam email than I get now, so F2P cannot be given email. I don't want any more spam whispers or /says than I get now.

F2P players get the entire leveling experience to level 50 that I had at launch, with the same rate of xp, the same exact quests, mostly everything the same, that I paid $50 for. My first level 50 hit the level cap, and never had more than 100k. So they don't need more credits than the current cap either. It's already an amazingly generous offer. Sure, they won't get to do as much PVP along the way. And they won't have as many action bars, but they have what they need to have to enjoy what by any other standard should be a $50 game. And they get it for free.

I don't know what world people come from, where that's not enough. If a player wants to make a life of SWTOR (which is essentially what we subscribers are choosing), then $15/month, is a very fair price. Ridiculously fair.

I'll just approach the Tera "limitations" you mentioned I don't have much time):

This just means you can only queue from the cross-server once via group finder and get that reward, if you enter the dungeon by walking in you can just reset the instance and dropped loot inside remains the same

Hardly noticeable

There's a weekly 20 mission reward, meaning it takes 2 days rather then one, no biggy

The best consumables are universal teleports, you can buy them for cheap but for specific towns it's nothing more then a stackable version of several scrolls, also all consummables can be bought with the currency you are given on log in every day

It takes little time to get to cap and since there is no repair bills every coin you make is your own, also cash dropped from mobs only is afflicted, not rewards for quests where the real money is at

Everyone one gets a free basic mount and there is a quest that demands half an hour to complete and gives you an elite mount with no lvl restriction

The shared bank accepts any amount of coins and they are in every large town and most small ones

-fewer broker postings

10 listing is plenty, 30 is too much and 50 is overkill, keep in mind you can bargain with a poster via the games "GTN" 1o is enough when you have to keep track of that

5% fee for posting based on average brokered price on the item for F2P (none for elite), which also means buying from the auction house is safer since the game actively tracks by how much an items is sold

No biggie since the physical version of the game and it's code still allows for Founder status even today, with all the perks, meaning that if you really feel the "limitations" are too much you can easily track down a retail version get max bank space and characters slots with an elite mount for all characters

Editing: make it easier to read.

P.S. On the honesty bit, just pointing out SWTOR keeps the fact you need to buy the last 10 lvl out of their publicity spots, that is all

Thank you as you just proved my final point...the inconveniences in Tera's model don't matter to YOU. I know LOTS of people who would be pissy as all hell getting locked out of the lfd. I also know PLENTY of people who would be pissy at only 10 broker postings as well. I could go down the list but again all you did here was prove my point. Thank you for doing so.

Edited by Ghisallo

No. Just No.

The F2P model in SWTOR is extremely generous. I don't want any more spam email than I get now, so F2P cannot be given email. I don't want any more spam whispers or /says than I get now.

F2P players get the entire leveling experience to level 50 that I had at launch, with the same rate of xp, the same exact quests, mostly everything the same, that I paid $50 for. My first level 50 hit the level cap, and never had more than 100k. So they don't need more credits than the current cap either. It's already an amazingly generous offer. Sure, they won't get to do as much PVP along the way. And they won't have as many action bars, but they have what they need to have to enjoy what by any other standard should be a $50 game. And they get it for free.

I don't know what world people come from, where that's not enough. If a player wants to make a life of SWTOR (which is essentially what we subscribers are choosing), then $15/month, is a very fair price. Ridiculously fair.

Amen.

Some of you folks crying about the Escrow system have CLEARLY never played MMO's like DCUO, where your cap is 10K. Not 100K.....TEN THOUSAND.

The F2P model sucks...if you know what it's like without all of the unlocks, but if that's the case, then why are you being a cheap bastard and not just going full sub?

F2P = restrictions.

I *do* think the cosmetic restrictions should be lifted (personally), but all of the other paywalls...nope, I think they are perfect.

Thank you as you just proved my final point...the inconveniences in Tera's model don't matter to YOU. I know LOTS of people who would be pissy as all hell getting locked out of the lfd. I also know PLENTY of people who would be pissy at only 10 broker postings as well. I could go down the list but again all you did here was prove my point. Thank you for doing so.

The lfg doesn't lock you out of Instance Matching (aka group finder for SWTOR players) it locks out a particular quest only.

It's not like SWTOR doesn't have GTN posting limits either.

*Sigh*, I'll stop trying to make you see reason, it's obvious with this sarcastic none argument here you posted...

Your "final point" before this was was that all MMOs have restrictions, befoe that how SWTOR was "honest", before that how subscribers are what keeps the game alive and now you switch yet again for this nonsense, my point was that SWTOR "F2P" restrictions are harsher them most, which they are, that's all.

Well.. most of the restrictions are limiting. Credit's and mail restrictions are painful, but yeah.. that's the main reason for ppl to subscribe.

But just one case from me..

I really wanted to get "Revered Chronicler’s Armor". Was getting all of that encrypted datacubes, spending quite a lot of creds for them. And when I finally got the last 8th datacube, I've realized that THIS DAMN ARMOR IS IN A CRATE:mad: And all of the credits and time were just wasted, cause preferred players can't get crates as quest rewards (EVEN IF IT'S THE ONLY REWARD:mad: )

Really.. that's nonsense! CM item that's just 100% unobtainable by f2p's .They should at least separate crates which can be used by f2p players from all the others (I was totally mad when I couldn't get my Seeking Droid mission chain title and armor reward cause they were in a damn crate too)

So yeah.. crate policy should be really refreshed. Limiting people from getting unique quest rewards is nonsence

If you want to play ESO you sill have to buy it.

If you want to play SWTOR you don't have to buy anything, just create an account and start playing to level 50.

You get 8 class stories for free. Yes, IA story is included.

Return to original 50$/50€ price and then we can talk about removing F2P restrictions.

SWTOR should have gone B2P originally and the IA story isn't all that. I thought it was average and was disappointed after all the hype.

Well.. most of the restrictions are limiting. Credit's and mail restrictions are painful, but yeah.. that's the main reason for ppl to subscribe.

But just one case from me..

I really wanted to get "Revered Chronicler’s Armor". Was getting all of that encrypted datacubes, spending quite a lot of creds for them. And when I finally got the last 8th datacube, I've realized that THIS DAMN ARMOR IS IN A CRATE:mad: And all of the credits and time were just wasted, cause preferred players can't get crates as quest rewards (EVEN IF IT'S THE ONLY REWARD:mad: )

Really.. that's nonsense! CM item that's just 100% unobtainable by f2p's .They should at least separate crates which can be used by f2p players from all the others (I was totally mad when I couldn't get my Seeking Droid mission chain title and armor reward cause they were in a damn crate too)

So yeah.. crate policy should be really refreshed. Limiting people from getting unique quest rewards is nonsence

You can always subscribe to get that "unique quest reward". You can stop the quest completion process when you find yourself unable to choose a specific quest reward.

As has been said many times before, in this thread and many others, if you want the benefits that a subscriber gets, then pay the $15/month, or about $.50 a day, to subscribe.

SWTOR should have gone B2P originally and the IA story isn't all that. I thought it was average and was disappointed after all the hype.

With a budget like they had there was NO WAY they could be b2p. Here is the thing...you don't just make a game and apply whatever financial model you want or that is "best" for the players. You either decide of the model first and they base the dev budget on the projected ROI or you have your budget and say "what model will give us the ROI?"

There is no way that a game with a 200 million budget could be justified with a B2P model.

The lfg doesn't lock you out of Instance Matching (aka group finder for SWTOR players) it locks out a particular quest only.

It's not like SWTOR doesn't have GTN posting limits either.

*Sigh*, I'll stop trying to make you see reason, it's obvious with this sarcastic none argument here you posted...

Your "final point" before this was was that all MMOs have restrictions, befoe that how SWTOR was "honest", before that how subscribers are what keeps the game alive and now you switch yet again for this nonsense, my point was that SWTOR "F2P" restrictions are harsher them most, which they are, that's all.

*sigh*

Stop moving goal posts.

I know everything you are saying here. Again they don't matter to YOU... the differences still matter to others. The person who is dodging reason is you because you are projecting your view of what is and is not reasonable globally.

Me I don't do that. I say that SWTORs model is reasonable not because I think it is the best out there... Rather because I objectively look at all the others and say... "Same number of head aches, just different head aches.". This is the nature of the f2p... The people who try to say this is not the case are the ones dodging reason and logic.

Edited by Ghisallo

You wander in from the desert hungry and thirsty. A person gives you bread and water. Like a spoiled child you throw a tantrum saying you dont like bread and water, and demand a pizza and a case of beer instead.

Be happy with what you get for free, they dont have to give you anything after all. You dont need any of these things, you want them.

You want pizza and a case of beer? Buy it.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

You wander in from the desert hungry and thirsty. A person gives you bread and water. Like a spoiled child you throw a tantrum saying you dont like bread and water, and demand a pizza and a case of beer instead.

Be happy with what you get for free, they dont have to give you anything after all. You dont need any of these things, you want them.

You want pizza and a case of beer? Buy it.

A better analogy, with the other games that have been noted as being "better" in mind, is that you are offered Wonderbread and Poland Spring water. You demand Sunbeam and Dasani purified water...because in your subjective opinion they taste better. You justify this petulance though by saying wonder and poland spring "are bad."

Edited by Ghisallo

Could and should Bioware stop this nickle and diming of the game?

It's funny how people keep on using this term ad nauseum. You know something? I have not once been nickeled and dimed in this game. Want to know why? Because the game is entertaining enough for me to pay for a subscription. I also have a Premium Account which my daughter uses. Haven't been nickeled and dimed with that one either. I have not had, nor ever felt compelled, to pay one penny more than my subscription fee.

Guess what my friends ... this is still a subscription game that just also happens to have one heck of a free trial option. If you think the game is enjoyable enough to continue playing regularly, then you pay for the damn subscription. If you don't, then you should expect restrictions. Don't like it, tough - that's life. In the end you really do get what you pay for.

It's funny how people keep on using this term ad nauseum. You know something? I have not once been nickeled and dimed in this game. Want to know why? Because the game is entertaining enough for me to pay for a subscription. I also have a Premium Account which my daughter uses. Haven't been nickeled and dimed with that one either. I have not had, nor ever felt compelled, to pay one penny more than my subscription fee.

Guess what my friends ... this is still a subscription game that just also happens to have one heck of a free trial option. If you think the game is enjoyable enough to continue playing regularly, then you pay for the damn subscription. If you don't, then you should expect restrictions. Don't like it, tough - that's life. In the end you really do get what you pay for.

Well Trav I will say EA has been skirting the boundry into Pay2Win with some things (thats when nickle and diming will really start to happen)

But other then poor expansion not delivering what it promised and was priced at, I agree not been nickled and dimed yet.

Mostly (with very few exceptions) I use my monthly cartel coins for being a sub to buy the items I require from the cartel shop or equipment unlocks.

But I have patience and don't need everything now this very instance.

I bet the person you replied to Trav is whining about being nickled and dimed because they have no patience and tried to unlock everything at once and was forced to buy extra cartel coins to do it.

Just more of the instant gratification, gimme gimme gimme crowd acting out

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.