Question about XP boost

Exly

According to the tool tip, the consumable minor and major XP boost items provide a 25% boost to XP. However, every time that I use one I only get a 20% boost. For example, I just completed the mission "Metal Militia" on Belsavis, and before applying the boost the quest gave 27,101 XP, but after applying the boost the XP increased to 32,521. So what actually happened was the XP was boosted by 5,420 points (20% of the original 27,101) instead 6,775 points (25% of 27,101).

My question is why don't I get a full 25% boost when I use these?

If I remember correctly, the boost is applied separately from every other bonus.

So it's applying 25% to your base XP gain rather than your total XP gain.

Thank you for responding, I read what you said and decided that I would check again to see if I would receive the full 25% boost after the 2xp event ended. Unfortunately my results are the same, and I am still receiving a 20% boost.

I tested this using a minor experience on a level 17 commando that I received while questing, a major experience boost on a level 57 operative that I bought off of the cartel market, and a major experience boost on a level 24 vanguard that I received while questing.

My method for checking on this was to record the experience reward that was shown in the mission rewards section of the mission log both before and after activating an xp boost. The missions used and results were as follows:

Level 17 commando - mission "More Old Friends", the exp. before boost = 4,143, exp. and after the boost = 4,972, a difference of 829 points (20 %).

Level 57 Operative - mission "Welcome to Rishi", before = 55,412, after = 66,495, difference = 11,083 (20 %).

Level 24 Vanguard - mission "The Republic's Finest", before = 6,206, after = 7,447, difference = 1,241 (20 %).

So I guess that my question still remains. Why am I only getting a 20% boost when using experience boosts when the tool tip says that they give a 25% boost? In other words, is this working as intended, or is it a bug?

It would appreciate it if someone from the community team would respond to this post with a definitive answer.

According to the tool tip, the consumable minor and major XP boost items provide a 25% boost to XP. However, every time that I use one I only get a 20% boost. For example, I just completed the mission "Metal Militia" on Belsavis, and before applying the boost the quest gave 27,101 XP, but after applying the boost the XP increased to 32,521. So what actually happened was the XP was boosted by 5,420 points (20% of the original 27,101) instead 6,775 points (25% of 27,101).

the xp boosts only work on the base and do not stack with rested xp. rested XP does not work during 2x XP events.

The way it is calculated is take the base xp (100%) add in any boosts (guild boost + legacy boosts)

so you get 2* (100% + 20% (legacy) + 10% (guild) + 25%(boost) = 2* (155) = 310% xp

Subscribers get a 25% boost on experience. As others have said, the 25% XP boost works off the base, not the base + 25% subscriber boost. So, your 27,101 XP quest actually has a base XP of 21,680.8. 25% of that is 5,420.2 XP. So, 21,680 base + 5,420.2 subscriber boost + 5,420.2 consumable boost = 32,521.2 XP.

Thank you for your response. After reading it I decided to check to see how this applied to one of my characters on a different server where I have no legacy name and am not in a guild. I used a level 14 guardian for my test (mission "Tracking Down the Traitor") the experience reward for the mission was 4,143 before activating a minor XP boost, and that number increased to 4,972 after activating it. The difference in this case was 829 points (20% of the un-boosted number).

So using your formula (excluding the 2x multiplier at the beginning I got:

(4,143 (100%) + 0 (legacy) + 0 (guild) + 829 (20% boost)) = 4,972

I still have never seen a scenario where I receive a 25% boost when activating either a minor or a major XP boost. Personally I think that the game is not calculating things properly and either the tool tip should be changed to reflect what is truly happening, or the calculation should be fixed to match the tool tip. Of course I know that if it is the calculation that is wrong that it would not look good for BioWare since real money (via the use of cartel coins) is used to purchase these off of the cartel market. However, if things are being miss calculated, then I believe that the sooner they fix it the better.

the better way would be opening a free account and comparing that xp to what you get as a subscriber with boosts.

it isn't a 25% boost on your NORMAL xp, its 25% of the BASE which is really the f2p xp earned.

if you want a more reasonable take the rewards you get from rested state with boost, and then compare with a boost during a double xp event..they will be about the same. basically double XP = rested XP for entire weekend.

Subscribers get a 25% boost on experience. As others have said, the 25% XP boost works off the base, not the base + 25% subscriber boost. So, your 27,101 XP quest actually has a base XP of 21,680.8. 25% of that is 5,420.2 XP. So, 21,680 base + 5,420.2 subscriber boost + 5,420.2 consumable boost = 32,521.2 XP.

That's wrong, the Subscriber rate is considered to be the 100% while non-subs have 'reduced' EXP.

the better way would be opening a free account and comparing that xp to what you get as a subscriber with boosts.

it isn't a 25% boost on your NORMAL xp, its 25% of the BASE which is really the f2p xp earned.

if you want a more reasonable take the rewards you get from rested state with boost, and then compare with a boost during a double xp event..they will be about the same. basically double XP = rested XP for entire weekend.

Thank you for the suggestion, I had actually thought about doing this, but I do not want to spend my cartel coins to buy an experience boost item just to make a point.

Anyway, thanks again.

That's wrong, the Subscriber rate is considered to be the 100% while non-subs have 'reduced' EXP.

That's what I thought. In other words f2p experience is at reduced rate of the 100% rate that subscribers get.

Edited by Exly

Correct.

Subscriber rate was boosted and the F2P rate is essentially the old XP rate but the new subscriber rate is considered the baseline for all calculations and the non-sub rate is a penalty.

Maybe it's one of those Subway-footlongs-actually-being-11-inches type deals.

Maybe, but I think that it would be better if we could compare it to a baker's dozen than to a Subway foot long. Not that I expect to get more than I was promised, but it's always nice when I do.

Until a certain level, F2P gain at the same rate as subs and then once they pass said level it's reduced, so.

That doesn't mean anything. That could easily be implemented as a 25% boost until level 10 (I think it's level 10 when F2P get a lower XP rate)

Also, this:

Hey guys!

Sorry for the delay in response, we wanted to make sure everything was working correctly and as intended.

To Jasoneth, your math is actually spot on, but you are missing a factor which is why the numbers aren't coming up correct. Without going into specifics, you are using your quest experience gain as a subsriber as the base. However, the thing to keep in mind is that subscribers get a bonus % to experience over F2P players. The base experience is what F2P earn, not what subs earn.

So if you were to use the F2P players experience gain as a base, and then apply the bonuses, the math would work!

I would like to commend you on this thread. This is the exact kind of constructive and detailed feedback we look for it. It greatly helps is in assessing an issue and determining if there is in fact a bug!

Secondary note, this report did allow us to find a bug that some XP bonuses were not being shown in the visible mission rewards window. That bug is being fixed and is currently slated for 2.2.3.

-eric

That doesn't mean anything. That could easily be implemented as a 25% boost until level 10 (I think it's level 10 when F2P get a lower XP rate)

Also, this:

Thank you, -eric's response to the earlier thread answers my question. I still think that the tool tip should be re- written to state that subscribers will only receive a 20% bonus off of our base experience number when using these, but at least now I know that they are working as intended.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.