What in the heck were you thinking Bioware???

mandmslayer

I don't care if I'm late to figure this out, but what gives with no reusable anodyne stims/medpacks/adrenals??? This was my entire reason for choosing Biochem! I'll try to stay civil and not fly off the handle, but it's a bit hard when I know that my countless hours and credits have been wasted chasing something I can't even get. What was wrong with the old system?? The blue items you made were consumables, but they had greater effects than the reusables. This brought a balance into the equation so a Biochem crafter could sell their product without needing to use it themselves, but they wouldn't have as great of a benifit from the item if they chose to do so. Now you've not only gotten rid of reusables, but you've made the purple anodyne items (besides implants) completely useless. They require difficult to obtain grade 11 purple medical supplies and are barely better than the freaking greens. The only upside is that they last eight hours. Would I rather spend tens of thousands chasing purple mats or settle for the green items, which are almost identical when you take into account the level of the stat they're already altering. The difference in cunning on a green vs. a purple anodyne stim is about 30 I think, but that's meaningless since my cunning's already at around 2950 on my level 59 operative. I want to know what was going through the heads of you devs when you made this decision.

Firstly, you might want to edit your post to include paragraphs. Wall of text = hard to read = no one reading it.

Now on the topic at hand:

What was wrong with the old system??

when an overwhelming majority of players take a skill for one thing and one thing only - in this case reusables - that's bad design.

when only one crafting skill has a benefit of having it multiple times - that's bad design.

If ALL crafting skills had something that made them worth taking over and over, the reusables would not be a problem. But the only other crafting that come close is CT with its grenades. BUT, grenades are not NEARLY as useful as reusable biochem stuff. Furthermore, they are - for all intents and purposes - one item because they share cooldown so having different varieties does not help. OTOH, BC had three reusable distinct item types: stim, adrenal, medpac.

So, the underlying "problem" was the multiplicity aspect of Biochem (and to a lesser degree Cybertech). So there are two solutions:

1. add aspects to ALL crafting skills that emulate the reusables

2. remove the aspect of the crafting skills that cause the "problem"

option 1 has "balance problems" written all over it; guaranteed one benefit would be the "best" and that crafting skill would be the new Biochem - the crafting skill EVERYONE takes for the benefit.

option 2 would anger players (like yourself) but has the benefit of being the more elegant solution. Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)

Regarding the purple materials: each crafting of purple stims, adrenals, and medpacs requires ONE purple and yields 4 or 6 consumables (4 stims, 6 adrenals, 6 medpacs). Even if you have to purchase the purple materials off the GTN at the going rate of 20k each (on The Harbinger server), that's 5k credits per stim or 3.3k per adrenal/medpac.

The short of it is that BW felt Biochem was "overpowered" and instead of buffing the rest of the crafting skills they nerfed Biochem. Personally, I love it. The 8 hour stim lasts about a week of real time and I sell both blue and purple stims.

I prefer the way the stims and medpacks are. Not everyone I know crafts and this way they are able to use these stims and medpacks.

This makes it easier to craft things for your friends and guild members. I rarely crafted the reusable since I was the only one that could use it.

I never saw a problem with reusables as only a Biochem could use them - it's not like you could make a ton of them and sell them.

But that was also part of the problem. Since anyone could take up Biochem and use the reusables there was a significantly smaller market for biochems to work in. It was so bad, that biochem was the ONLY crafting skill I had where I could not buy materials off the GTN and profit. With 3.0 the stims markets are on par with all others.

But that was also part of the problem. Since anyone could take up Biochem and use the reusables there was a significantly smaller market for biochems to work in. It was so bad, that biochem was the ONLY crafting skill I had where I could not buy materials off the GTN and profit. With 3.0 the stims markets are on par with all others.

I seriously doubt that. Do you really make 200% (or more) profit from stims when you buy the mats? B/C that's what I make on dyes. I make over 100% on everything artifice. Every time I've looked, Bio is just about as break-even as augments and kits (people living on crits). That said, Bio is in a better place than 3.0 (and I completely agree that [crafter use only] items are much more likely to be game breaking, and was glad to see them go).

Edited by eartharioch

Biochem consumable purples bound.

Seriously, they were make to require the actual skill why bind them also ?

I used to manufacture some and send to my alt that also had BK but no purple schematics. Not this will not work anymore.

What was the logic of this ?

I seriously doubt that. Do you really make 200% (or more) profit from stims when you buy the mats? B/C that's what I make on dyes. I make over 100% on everything artifice. Every time I've looked, Bio is just about as break-even as augments and kits (people living on crits). That said, Bio is in a better place than 3.0 (and I completely agree that [crafter use only] items are much more likely to be game breaking, and was glad to see them go).

Artifice is an outlier :D

Compare blue augments, to blue CT mods, to blue stims. Volume of sales and net profits are even (within a reasonable deviation)

Artifice is an outlier :D

That was actually the point I was trying to make :)

Compare blue augments, to blue CT mods, to blue stims. Volume of sales and net profits are even (within a reasonable deviation)

TBH, I rarely dealt in blues before SoR, and while I still deal in blues occasionally now, it's not as a crafter. And when I did/do deal in blues, it's not max char level stuff -- I know there's good money in it, just rarely enough for the amount of time I want[ed] to spend.

That said, non-artifice purples are pretty much all the same to me as well -- more profitable than just selling the mats, but not profitable enough to make it worth my while.

• 2 weeks later...
so, Biochem has zero reusable items now? (sorry, been on another planet)

The old ones still exist, just the current ones for level 56+ no longer have reusable versions.

Small note: The Exotech/Rakata reusable adrenal for tanks is better than the newer adrenal because it provides armor instead of shield and absorb value, so it guarantees damage reduction instead of just increasing the chance for damage reduction. So this one is still worth it. All others are replaced by the new, more powerful, non-reusable adrenals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.