The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What if Star Wars: The Force Awakens is actually...very good?

cool-dude

What do you think Georges reaction might be, if Disney outdoes him, and actually does a pretty good job with the new movies? Like, what if, they do not get any of the hate that the prequels got? Would George even care you think? Edited by cool-dude

Uh...no.

I think he'd care in that he'd be upset. I don't think he'd acknowledge that Disney outdid him. Here's why I think he'll care. He was upset that Disney said no to his ideas and kicked him out of being a consultant. That made news for a short period of time. If he completely didn't care it wouldn't be a big deal to him. However, I'd argue I don't think it's a bad thing. Lately George's ideas have been less than stellar.

I'd be proper pleased if the new movies are good. I actually have high hopes for them I generally like everything JJ Abrahms does

In regards to your Lucas statement...I'm sure he will be hurt, try to spin it like a lot of it was actually his idea and then go away once the $$$ rolls in

Ditching Lucas' ideas was probably a bad idea TBH... as much as Prequel bashers like to criticise the Prequels, I think overall it had a solid story, with lots of awesome concepts that defined Star Wars as we know it.

He's also contributed a lot of good ideas to TCW. Altogether, I doubt was he suggested involved a dumb lightsaber. :rolleyes:

It's going to be directed by JJ Abrams, so I have some faith that it will be an entertaining story. His two Star Trek remakes were good science fiction films, but I feel like they kind of missed the point of Star Trek. That's what I'm more interested in: I know Episode VII will be a great sci-fi film, but... will it be a good Star Wars film?

Ditching Lucas' ideas was probably a bad idea TBH... as much as Prequel bashers like to criticise the Prequels, I think overall it had a solid story, with lots of awesome concepts that defined Star Wars as we know it.

He's also contributed a lot of good ideas to TCW. Altogether, I doubt was he suggested involved a dumb lightsaber. :rolleyes:

Let's be honest, I'm pretty sure Disney removed him as consultant after they really looked into the huge fanbase backlash over the prequels... either that or Lucas has gotten more and more insane with age. As for myself, I find the prequels were both very bad and very good. Star Wars has always had that political commentary undercurrent which I think was handled well in the prequel trilogy also, and it's not like the plot was awful (if a little contrived that Tatooine is so conveniently close to Naboo), but the devil is in the details. Lucas can make a good general plot, but my complaint was that a lot of the dialogue wasn't written very well (and this is also a problem occasionally with the original trilogy as well).

Edited by Diviciacus

You see I have to disagree, there is very little if anything about the prequels I like. I mean even the basic stuff like the story. I don't like the way the Clone Wars was designed for example, I think the original idea that the Clones were invading the Republic and were a major threat was far better and that is just one example. Im glad he has nothing to do with these new movies

You see I have to disagree, there is very little if anything about the prequels I like. I mean even the basic stuff like the story. I don't like the way the Clone Wars was designed for example, I think the original idea that the Clones were invading the Republic and were a major threat was far better and that is just one example. Im glad he has nothing to do with these new movies

Now you're just trolling . . . and bad at it I'll say! There's one thing to say that Old George didn't care about the fans, but he did care about his story. And that story is a good one, he's directing sucked, thats a fact, not a guess or even 'a point of view'. Old George do like movies and the way they look, you, kind Sir, is not merely pointing out that you don't like the vegetables, you actually say that you don't like the whole meal.

If you just don't wanna be someone that throws opinions around or a mainstream SW love/hater; I think you need to present a stronger case or get some perspective, nothing is all good or all bad, Especially not in Star Wars, we may all have our hang ups, but if you don't like it, don't watch it.

To be fair ROTS was a good film,yeah some of the romance stuff was cringe but I think it was an excellent end to the trilogy.Tho other 2 well both had good and bad in them (JarJar,horrible clunky romance dialogue,factory scene in Geonosis,too much cgi etc).

I'm quite happy Mr Lucas is having no part in the new trilogy,I think he's run out of ideas,if he still cared about Star Wars he wouldn't have sold out to house of mouse.

Just hope Disney keeps it mature rather than going for the younger audience but i'll keep an open mind.

To be fair ROTS was a good film,yeah some of the romance stuff was cringe but I think it was an excellent end to the trilogy.Tho other 2 well both had good and bad in them (JarJar,horrible clunky romance dialogue,factory scene in Geonosis,too much cgi etc).

I'm quite happy Mr Lucas is having no part in the new trilogy,I think he's run out of ideas,if he still cared about Star Wars he wouldn't have sold out to house of mouse.

Just hope Disney keeps it mature rather than going for the younger audience but i'll keep an open mind.

They've already got Rebels for the younger crowd (lot of the older crowd too for that matter) so I think we'll see the sequals being more mature.

I for one am cautiously optimistic over the movies, and mostly glad Lucas is gone. He just couldn't handle internal consistency and it drove me crazy.

Now you're just trolling . . . and bad at it I'll say! There's one thing to say that Old George didn't care about the fans, but he did care about his story. And that story is a good one, he's directing sucked, thats a fact, not a guess or even 'a point of view'. Old George do like movies and the way they look, you, kind Sir, is not merely pointing out that you don't like the vegetables, you actually say that you don't like the whole meal.

If you just don't wanna be someone that throws opinions around or a mainstream SW love/hater; I think you need to present a stronger case or get some perspective, nothing is all good or all bad, Especially not in Star Wars, we may all have our hang ups, but if you don't like it, don't watch it.

What in gods name are you talking about? How was I possibly trolling? All I did was say my personal opinions. I did not say there is nothing good about the prequels. I did not say that anyone who liked the prequels is crazy. I did not say the prequels are an abomination or anything.

I simply said my personal opinion that there was very little if anything about the prequels I personally liked. (I did not like QuiGon, Anakin being from Tatooine, Anakin not having a father, Anakin coming into the academy late, anakin being some special chosen one, the Pod-race, falling for Padme seconds after meeting her, Darth Maul .... and thats just the first movie) As such I was glad GL is not contributing because I do not like the direction he took SW after the OT came out. Using your food example, it would be like if GL said he makes a great fish, except I dont like Fish so Im glad when at the next dinner, I hear he is not the cook because that means it is less likely to have fish be the main course. I didnt once say the Fish itself was poorly done.

Did you even READ my post? Like seriously you reply has LITERALLY NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I SAID.

If anyone is trolling its you because I do not understand how someone can take what I said "I dont like the story of the prequels" and assume it means "GL hates movies and his fans and there is nothing even remotely acceptable on the most basic level" that you seem to think I said.

TL;DR Read my post again because you are so far off on what my post says it actually hurts me

Edited by Galdos

What in gods name are you talking about? How was I possibly trolling? All I did was say my personal opinions. I did not say there is nothing good about the prequels. I did not say that anyone who liked the prequels is crazy. I did not say the prequels are an abomination or anything.

I simply said my personal opinion that there was very little if anything about the prequels I personally liked. (I did not like QuiGon, Anakin being from Tatooine, Anakin not having a father, Anakin coming into the academy late, anakin being some special chosen one, the Pod-race, falling for Padme seconds after meeting her, Darth Maul .... and thats just the first movie) As such I was glad GL is not contributing because I do not like the direction he took SW after the OT came out. Using your food example, it would be like if GL said he makes a great fish, except I dont like Fish so Im glad when at the next dinner, I hear he is not the cook because that means it is less likely to have fish be the main course. I didnt once say the Fish itself was poorly done.

Did you even READ my post? Like seriously you reply has LITERALLY NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I SAID.

If anyone is trolling its you because I do not understand how someone can take what I said "I dont like the story of the prequels" and assume it means "GL hates movies and his fans and there is nothing even remotely acceptable on the most basic level" that you seem to think I said.

TL;DR Read my post again because you are so far off on what my post says it actually hurts me

So we have established that you have nothing against the craftsmanship, regarding the PTs!? ...or am I misreading you?

And sorry for offending you mate, but it seems personal opinions have tendencies to do that when presented on a public forum, don't you think?

and frankly think you just proved my point; and it's stranged to me, regardless if you like fish or not you just explained that it was the seasoning you didn't like!!

I simply said my personal opinion that there was very little if anything about the prequels I personally liked. (I did not like QuiGon, Anakin being from Tatooine, Anakin not having a father, Anakin coming into the academy late, anakin being some special chosen one, the Pod-race, falling for Padme seconds after meeting her, Darth Maul .... and thats just the first movie)

You just dismissed some Core Canon Lore, the major thing the the SW universe evolves around . . . so

to me it reads like this; like all that you said you didn't do ...

I did not say there is nothing good about the prequels. I did not say that anyone who liked the prequels is crazy. I did not say the prequels are an abomination or anything.

Yep, I did, and I called you out on it and out you came . . .

So to prove me wrong, why don't you tell us what you did like about the PT and while at it; how you gonna have a chance liking a movie based on the Core Canon Lore you don't like and dismiss??

Me? I'm like a child before christmas . . . I really do looking forward to see what JJ and Disney gonna do for/to the SW universe . . .

I think he'd care in that he'd be upset. I don't think he'd acknowledge that Disney outdid him. Here's why I think he'll care. He was upset that Disney said no to his ideas and kicked him out of being a consultant. That made news for a short period of time. If he completely didn't care it wouldn't be a big deal to him. However, I'd argue I don't think it's a bad thing. Lately George's ideas have been less than stellar.

I agree...

here is the thing people miss...there is a big difference between a story concept and good execution... Episode IV had more than a couple issues akin to the prequels in regards to dialogue, bad direction etc. V and VII lacked a lot of these issues because the same guy co-writing with JJ basically wrote them.

Here is the dirty little secret. Were the stories of V and VI Lucas... sorta... here is how they worked. Lucas wrote the first screenplays....other writers, eventually settling on Kasdan in the process for V and then keeping him for VI, came in and basically rewrote everything. Especially in VI Kasdan even added some story elements....Lucas shot down some of his better ideas...even changed his own better ideas because of talks with a child psychologist. Additionally V and VI were not directed by Lucas. It was a running public joke when the first three movies were done that Lucas' idea o stage direction was to yell "faster!!!!!! More intense!!!" If you read any interview with cast for the new movie (mostly mark Hamill yes) working with JJ is MUCH better than working with Lucas.

Here is the darker secret... the thing most everyone agrees on...what was the driving force for change and shoot downs on Lucas' part in the scripts written by Kasdan? Merchandising AND a specifically expressed belief of "no, you can't do that because these movies are for kids." Am I the only one who finds that attitude in the least patronizing? That Sci-Fi can't have adult elements because Sci-Fi and fantasy are for kids?

Well Disney learned their lesson. The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies, the Marvel Movies etc... all on subject matter 20 years ago people would say is "for kids" but made money hand over fist because it was made with an adult in mind.

Edited by Ghisallo

I agree...

here is the thing people miss...there is a big difference between a story concept and good execution... Episode IV had more than a couple issues akin to the prequels in regards to dialogue, bad direction etc. V and VII lacked a lot of these issues because the same guy co-writing with JJ basically wrote them.

Here is the dirty little secret. Were the stories of V and VI Lucas... sorta... here is how they worked. Lucas wrote the first screenplays....other writers, eventually settling on Kasdan in the process for V and then keeping him for VI, came in and basically rewrote everything. Especially in VI Kasdan even added some story elements....Lucas shot down some of his better ideas...even changed his own better ideas because of talks with a child psychologist. Additionally V and VI were not directed by Lucas. It was a running public joke when the first three movies were done that Lucas' idea o stage direction was to yell "faster!!!!!! More intense!!!" If you read any interview with cast for the new movie (mostly mark Hamill yes) working with JJ is MUCH better than working with Lucas.

Here is the darker secret... the thing most everyone agrees on...what was the driving force for change and shoot downs on Lucas' part in the scripts written by Kasdan? Merchandising AND a specifically expressed belief of "no, you can't do that because these movies are for kids." Am I the only one who finds that attitude in the least patronizing? That Sci-Fi can't have adult elements because Sci-Fi and fantasy are for kids?

Well Disney learned their lesson. The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies, the Marvel Movies etc... all on subject matter 20 years ago people would say is "for kids" but made money hand over fist because it was made with an adult in mind.

While we might disagree elsewhere. 100% agree with this.

Since Lucas no longer has any say in Star Wars, expect a LOT of MAJOR retcons. For example, in the game trilogy starting with Revenant (considered the "unofficial" episodes X, XI, and XII), the "prophecy" in the Prequels actually refers to the player character of the games (you will play the same character each game), and not Anakin, as the majority of dark side power in the galaxy is held by the fallen Celestial called the Singularity, trapped in a special area of the Force's Netherworld, which has a gate leading to it on the Unknown Regions planet Tevindor.

As for Ep VII, all I can say is that is is weird. Lots of confusing new-agey Force stuff, which will be more confusing for those who haven't watched certain Clone Wars episodes (mortis trilogy, nightsisters).

So to prove me wrong, why don't you tell us what you did like about the PT and while at it; how you gonna have a chance liking a movie based on the Core Canon Lore you don't like and dismiss??

I said I did not like the story of the prequels, sense when did this become some terrible sin? Not once did I mention craftsmanship, art style, music, CGI, lighting, or anything else. I mentioned I did like the story and you spazed out and posted several links to why the Prequels are great or something completely ignoring that none of that changes the fact I still dont like the story of the prequels. God forbid other people have different taste as other people.

You just dismissed some Core Canon Lore, the major thing the the SW universe evolves around . . . so

Dismissed? This is exactly why I said it seems like you didnt read my post. I never came even remotely close to saying I dismiss it, or ignore it, or anything like that. I said I DID NOT LIKE. I did not say I IGNORE.

What did I like about the prequels? I think the actor for Obi-wan was good and... thats all that comes to the top of my mind. I dont think the actors did a bad job. I think the story prevented them from shinning properly.

I never said "I refuse to acknowledge they exist" All I said was I disliked the direction they took the story in the prequels. And then you come out and act like I claimed that the prequels is an abomination that murdered my a small family of dogs and everyone should hate it. All I said was I do not care for the story in the prequels. In what universe does that mean that no one else is allowed to like the prequels or that must mean I hate all of Star Wars.

Im not ignoring the prequels, I just said I did not like the story of the prequels.

Me? I'm like a child before christmas . . . I really do looking forward to see what JJ and Disney gonna do for/to the SW universe . . .

Why are you thinking this is any different from me? I havnt been this excited in a long time for Star Wars. Im really looking forward to the future of SW because I think it could be great. Im also excited GL is done with the series because I didnt like the direction he took it. Those two points are not exclusive.

I also liked both Clone Wars shows, Even Rebels is growing on me, the games that occur in the era like Republic Commando, several books like Labrynth of Evil (which is an excellent book) So I dont dismiss it. That doesnt mean I have to like every single thing about the setting or the direction it went.

So how about your turn? Why did you completely freak out and feel the need to post a series of links saying how the prequels are awesome when someone said "I dont like the same things as you do/I dont worship the prequels"

no matter how good it is a small annoying and load faction of the fanbase for starwars will ***** about just because. calling it now

I'll agree with this. no matter how good or bad the new triology is, you'll get people bashing it because it's not what they think it should have been. it happened with the prequals, it'll happen with the new trilogy

I'll agree with this. no matter how good or bad the new triology is, you'll get people bashing it because it's not what they think it should have been. it happened with the prequals, it'll happen with the new trilogy

Exactly. I'll use Star Trek as an example. DS-9 from a "technical" story point of view was probably the best of all the series. However die hard Trekkie's HATED it because it had a less the Utopian view of the Federation. It had the Federation due "non-Rodenberry" things as a necessity of war...the Federation was not some perfect society that had evolved to some unreachable ideal.

Same with the new movies. In terms of writing they were definitely better and made more sense than Generations, Nemesis and Insurrection BUT I have heard people say that even if they were horribly written they had moments where they could rise to be shining examples of that Utopian ideal...as such all Roddenberry based Star Trek is by Definition based on a JJ Abrams based Star Trek even if they brought in Shakespeare to write the darn thing.

I think we already see hints of this hear and other threads. There are people who are not only unwilling to let go of the EU but are also unwilling to acknowledge that Lucas in the end was his own worst enemy. They overlook all of his faults with an almost slavish devotion. The next movie could end up being the most critically acclaimed movie thus far this century but they may well say, to paraphrase an SNL skit, "If its not Lucas its crap!!!!!"

What's wrong with acknowledging Lucas has talent? What's wrong with not thinking the EU is dead, when Disney themselves have said as much, and continue to incorporate it into Canon material every day?

No Lucas was not a good director, but he had good ideas, he was a good storyteller, the Star Wars universe is testament to that, creative consultant is literally the best position Disney could have given him. Where he can provide story concepts, but its down to Disney & co. to execute them.

Its the role Lucas played in TCW, he would focus mainly on the story, while production was less his responsibility, TCW turned out just great, and in my opinion its the best Star Wars content we've had since Empire Strikes Back.

And now we have Rebels, which is decidedly inferior, and has no Lucas involvement. Go figure.

TBH, the only "bad" concepts Lucas introduced into Star Wars I can think of are midichlorians and Jar Jar, and yet Darth Plagueis made midichlorians a decent concept and worthwhile idea, and TCW made Jar Jar likeable.

You talk about this "slavish devotion" to George Lucas' talents, but are responding with typical George Lucas hate-wagon that refuses to accept he had any redeeming features, and everything he did was horrible and bad!

Can't we establish some middle ground here? Consider that maybe the creator of Star Wars isn't as bad as you think?

Edited by Beniboybling

I said I did not like the story of the prequels, sense when did this become some terrible sin? Not once did I mention craftsmanship, art style, music, CGI, lighting, or anything else. I mentioned I did like the story and you spazed out and posted several links to why the Prequels are great or something completely ignoring that none of that changes the fact I still dont like the story of the prequels. God forbid other people have different taste as other people.

Dismissed? This is exactly why I said it seems like you didnt read my post. I never came even remotely close to saying I dismiss it, or ignore it, or anything like that. I said I DID NOT LIKE. I did not say I IGNORE.

What did I like about the prequels? I think the actor for Obi-wan was good and... thats all that comes to the top of my mind. I dont think the actors did a bad job. I think the story prevented them from shinning properly.

I never said "I refuse to acknowledge they exist" All I said was I disliked the direction they took the story in the prequels. And then you come out and act like I claimed that the prequels is an abomination that murdered my a small family of dogs and everyone should hate it. All I said was I do not care for the story in the prequels. In what universe does that mean that no one else is allowed to like the prequels or that must mean I hate all of Star Wars.

Im not ignoring the prequels, I just said I did not like the story of the prequels.

Why are you thinking this is any different from me? I havnt been this excited in a long time for Star Wars. Im really looking forward to the future of SW because I think it could be great. Im also excited GL is done with the series because I didnt like the direction he took it. Those two points are not exclusive.

I also liked both Clone Wars shows, Even Rebels is growing on me, the games that occur in the era like Republic Commando, several books like Labrynth of Evil (which is an excellent book) So I dont dismiss it. That doesnt mean I have to like every single thing about the setting or the direction it went.

So how about your turn? Why did you completely freak out and feel the need to post a series of links saying how the prequels are awesome when someone said "I dont like the same things as you do/I dont worship the prequels"

:)Hey mate, I was really just interested in what you had to say in a positive way of our beloved object of fandom. I hear(read) what you say(write), we've all been there, but just listing all the things we don't like makes for a rather dull discussion don't you think?;) Good to know that we share the anticipation, cheers . . .

What's wrong with acknowledging Lucas has talent, what's wrong with not thinking the EU is dead, when Disney themselves have said as much, and continue to incorporate it into Canon material every day?

No Lucas was not a good director, but he had good ideas, he was a good storyteller, the Star Wars universe is testament to that, creative consultant is literally the best position Disney could have given him. Where he can provide story concepts, but its down to Disney & co. to execute them.

Its the role Lucas played in TCW, he would focus mainly on the story, while production was less his responsibility, TCW turned out just great, and in my opinion its the best Star Wars content we've had since Empire Strikes Back.

And now we have Rebels, which is decidedly inferior, and has no Lucas involvement. Go figure.

TBH, the only "bad" concepts Lucas introduced into Star Wars I can think of are midichlorians and Jar Jar, and yet Darth Plagueis made midichlorians a decent concept and worthwhile idea, and TCW made Jar Jar likeable.

You talk about this "slavish devotion" to George Lucas' talents, but are responding with typical George Lucas hate-wagon that refuses to accept he had any redeeming features, and everything he did was horrible and bad!

Can't we establish some middle ground here? Consider that maybe the creator of Star Wars isn't as bad as you think?

Well put there

Anyone who doubt Old Georges talent, hasn't seen a sci-fi movie pre OT EP4(1977), never mind creating a story and characters that lasted 40 years. . .

And as I am a soccer fan I say this; What Peter Jackson have been doing with LOTR and the Hobbit, George Lucas does with an orange, every day, before breakfast . . . anyone who claim different better make a very good case;)

Truth be said at this point I can't see anyone else then JJ to carry on the legacy, this(EP 7) going to be the greatest Star Wars Fan movie ever made . . .

Edited by t-darko

The problem is this people don't look at Lucas realistically. He came up with a wonderful world. He came up with good plots. He did make it possible that Sci-Fi could get bigger budgets etc. He helped to pioneer the special effects we now take for granted. Talent in these categories does NOT = talent in all categories. To think it does = hero worship not a critical analysis.

People keep talking about concepts and the like... A movie is NOT only concepts...a movie is the screenplay, the dialogue, the directing. It is these later issues I have... not the former. The best concept of the world can be utterly destroyed by bad dialogue and/or directing.

The problem is everyone else moved forward while he stayed where he was. He does not know how to write dialogue and not have it sound campy, even awkward at times. Not only the critics but the ACTORS he has directed have spoken of his issues directing... that is pretty uncommon in the industry (to speak publically). He also still has a rather patronizing idea that Sci-Fi is for kids...at least Star Wars is. Maybe it's because his first Sci-Fi movie, while a cult classic, did not do well commerically...who knows but he is on the record shooting down script ideas for SW saying "no...this is for kids."

It happens. You can applaud and say someone was a pioneer AND acknowledge that they been surpassed by their successors in specific fields.

What gets me is how obvious it is in the prequels, in part because of his casting choices. His choice for Anakin was stunningly questionable. Watch the final fight between Anakin and Obi Wan. Actually close your eyes and just listen. You hear one actor who is arguably one of the finest of his generation (Ewan McGregor) being able to overcome the short comings in dialogue and directing...where as Christensen simply serves to illustrate the weaknesses in them. Another way to do this is to actually read the script. If you read the lines blind (not thinking or knowing it = star wars and lucas) the dialogue at times is down right juvenile.

You can appreciate a world, the concepts and plot created by someone and be critical of how they apply details as appropriate. I understand fandom tends towards an all or nothing kinda mind set, but I have never been an all or nothing kinda guy. I look at everything and just because I really like the world they brought us and have a sense of nostalgia because I saw their first movie in the theater in 1977 I don't cut them breaks for their weaknesses. I think Lucas is one of those guys who definitely deserves a "STORY BY" credit...Producer, etc... his talents simply do not lie in things lie "screenplay" and "directed by".

This is ALL I am saying. The thing is in reading stuff I see why he is now locked out. It seems like rather than being a "Mentor" shall we say...giving insights into the characters he created etc. He kinda did what he did with Kasdan... "no you CAN'T do this.... and you CAN'T do that!!!!!" When you don't own something any more and most importantly simply aren't in charge... the people in charge don't want to here you say "can't". He has a reputation of being a rather arrogant SOB at times and I think that came back to bite him in the butt.

Edited by Ghisallo