Quick guide to the Outfit Designer arriving in 3.2

Iwipe

Hey everyone, with Outfit Designer live on the PTS I have constructed a quick guide covering some of the basics. Hopefully this answer some of your questions.

Quick notes

1. Costs are placeholders on the PTS atm. They are pretty cheap so hopefully they will stay that way.
  2. Heavy armor users can use heavy, medium, and light armor but light armor users can only use light. All adaptive armor can be used.

Guide: http://dulfy.net/2015/03/20/swtor-outfit-designer-guide/

Let me know if you have any questions or need a clarification somewhere

So basically you can "save" an armor that you've equipped and use that for a costume, then modify it with whatever mods would normally go in that slot? And it costs 14k for each item you "save" (at least for now)?

If so, that sounds pretty awesome, especially since from the sound of it, we're no longer restricted by gear rarity (which is freakin' awesome, since there are a lot of cool looks for greens/blues that don't have a customizable equivalent). At the risk of melodrama, this may indeed just "save" the game for me.

So, light armor users are basically screwed.

awesome.

I'm inclined to agree. I don't understand the point of the feature now. Unless I'm misunderstanding something we can already do everything this 'new' feature lets us with moddable gear. inly difference is the use of green and blues without worrying about stats. That's nice but hardly enough. I don't understand why the devs insist on placing armour and class restrictions on gear. Granted they've started removing these restrictions as can be seen with the latest pve and pvp gear which have become adaptive. I assume going back and changing all moddable gear to adaptive would be way to time intensive to be worth it (let's face it it's not going to give them any revenue, unless they somehow made it a cartel market consumable to use on an item that makes it adaptive, but that's getting off topic.)

However I would have thought the costume deigned would have been the perfect opportunity to remove these silly restrictions from old gear. If I want to wear the jedi battlelord set on a sage I don't see why this costume designer couldn't and shouldn't let me. With all the various armour in the cartel market, I hardly think classes needing a distinct silhouette to be immediately identifiable is a reasonable enough excuse anymore. As a sage I could wear trooper armour or bounty hunter armour.

I just don't understand their reasoning for the restrictions. I thought the point of a costume designer was so we could look how we wanted regardless of stats/ armouring and class.

I just don't understand their reasoning for the restrictions. I thought the point of a costume designer was so we could look how we wanted regardless of stats/ armouring and class.

Well, the main point was to eliminate the cost of taking out mods and augmenting new gear, so a player can easily change his looks without spending over 500k to do so.

Right, and we wouldn't want to actually make the thing equally valuable and useful to all classes, or anything like that.

I wish they had made that change. I wish they would get rid of faction-specific looks and class-restricted gear as well.

OTOH, Jedi Consulars can now wear the Jawa Cloak without losing stats. :D

As always, appreciate the guide Dulfy.

I agree that this is unfair to light armor and want to make a step further. With the making of several speeders pre CM adaptive, can we please get rid of this light/med/heavy distinction and make it all adaptive? It's an anachronism at best. It literally serves zero function now. Make it all adaptive.

Yeah, the light armor thing is really irritating me. Why do they always have to get people's hopes up, get them excited and then ph*uck up.

Can they do nothing right, or fairly for everyone? Honestly, it would have been soooo hard to go over to LOTR and rip off their system properly. :rolleyes:

But thank you Dulfy for the guide and heads up.

Edited by Lunafox

Well, the main point was to eliminate the cost of taking out mods and augmenting new gear, so a player can easily change his looks without spending over 500k to do so.

Yeah, when you point out the credit costs it's going to save it sounds a lot better and I am looking forward to the feature. God knows I change my mind on an outfit every other week. It just feels like if they put a little more effort into removing the armour restrictions it would make it more usable and useful to all classes. Perhaps they will do so down the track.

I'm very happy with the number of tabs that will be available and the low costs that are so far associated with them.

I'm quite bummed about companions, but not surprised. I guess no Yavin IV armor for most of them :( Since there isn't a track record of new features being expanded on, I'm not going to hold out any hope that companion appearance tabs will be added later.

From the livestream notes

All speeder points will be unlocked once you arrive on the planet

Cooldown for quicktravel reduced to 6 mins without perk. With all 3 level of perks it is reduced to no cooldown.

Quick travel points will unlock once you get close to them, without needing to interact with them.

Are these universal changes or are they only applicable to Ziost? The last two, at least, sound like quality of life updates that would affect the entire game.

Anyway, about the outfit designer I wanted to echo something that came up in the comments under the guide. While the 14k per piece of gear copied to an outfit tab is a good deal compared to ripping / transferring modifications from end-game gear to your desired look (I know I've seen stuff coming out at almost 10k per mod / 30k per piece of gear the last time I moved anything around, and I'm sure there's stuff that can cost even more than that)... That seems like a horrible deal in the early levels, doesn't it? I don't know offhand. What level of gear do you have to be dealing with for the total cost to rip mods out to exceed 14k? Stuff for characters in the upper 40s, maybe?

This is why it seems like there should be some sort of scaling on that cost. Adjust it based on the level and rarity of the item being used for cosmetics (cartel market flagged gear may need an extra bump in price over that since they only require level 1) or adjust it based on the character's level or something.

Ideally, it should probably aim for providing a similar bargain at all levels. So maybe it should scale it on the character's level so that the cost per appearance slot is about half of the total cost to remove mods (which are at the character's level) from 3 mod slots.

It's pretty neat, assuming credit prices stay the same or don't change much. 12k credits per slot to "lock in a look", 98k per a full "outfit", then you change at will for no cost.

Too bad it isn't available for companions but that'd probably be pushing it in therms of performance drag and whatnot heh.

And asking for 2 tabs of available "active outfits" to be able to switch from dps to tank gear sets with 1-2 clicks & empty out inventory space would probably be greedy. :p

Edited by aeterno

They might still add a second 'gear' section. This is new and still in development, after all. Two 'gear' sets - PVP/PVE, or Tank/DPS would make sense. But even so, making two separate legacy sets is still cheaper and more feasible with the Outfit Designer than it was before.

What really disappoints me about this is the amount of great looking green/blue gear I've deleted over the years, that I really wish I still had. Namely a lot of the hood down armor for Knights. And much more annoyingly, the armor you get as quest rewards from the Knight's storyline on Tython is one of my favorite sets for knights in the game. But, you can only earn it on that initial questline. So now that I could actually use it as my main look, something I had wanted to do since I got off of Tython, I can't go back and get it.

idk why you guys so mad about the armor restriction

i dont really care about other peoples look but i dont get why someone being a light armor wearing sage is mad about not being able to look like that tanky darth malgus juggernaut doombringer.

its just not meant to be like that. i dont even know why some mercenaries equip like sorcerers tbh but i guess it comes down to personal preference. however its a cool addition and was long overdue anyways!

the only thing i am still missing is the option to dye certain parts of the armor and not being limited to that stupid 2-color-dye system where 90% of the combinations are total crap.

Edited by Phearz

I will agree that the armor restrictions are petty. But when you consider that there are a LOT of adaptive sets that appear "heavy" and these are not restricted, the complaints about said restrictions are equally petty.

Other than that, this is precisely what envisioned when it was announced. The only exception being the number of outfits possible. Expectations...exceeded, albeit slightly.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.