The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

First SW Spin-off movie named: "Rogue One"

DarthDymond

Courtesy of Disney's annual shareholder meeting: Episode VIII is targeted for May 26, 2017 and the first Spinoff, with a target release of Dec. 16, 2016 and starring Felicity Jones, will be called Rogue One.

No plot details yet, but name sounds like it may be a Starfighter-centric movie? I'm still on the fence about the spin-off movies plan, but this is somewhat piquing my interest.

Edited by DarthDymond

The name sounds like it will be extremely interesting and I hope they draw some inspiration from (though not necessarily copy) Stackpole's X-wing series of books.

Yes I intentionally left out Allston, he did some ok work but Stackpole's was better.

All told I'm looking forward to this, and Felicity Jones strikes me as in interesting casting choice... What do others think of her in a SW movie? Can you picture it?

All told I'm looking forward to this, and Felicity Jones strikes me as in interesting casting choice... What do others think of her in a SW movie? Can you picture it?

I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything she's been in, so I was also curious about what others' take on her is.

Anyone have any recommendations for movies she's been in?

I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything she's been in, so I was also curious about what others' take on her is.

Anyone have any recommendations for movies she's been in?

She recently played in Theory of Everything (about Stephen Hawking) and I think that's all she's really known for... She was nominated for leading actress Oscar for that though so I guess that's something.

Here is her IMDb page

I've been looking in to this film and well... the credentials of the director and screenwriter leave much to be desired.

Calling it now, its going to be a bad movie.

Well, you just sprinkle of anticipation, you;)

I have to admit that it looks abit thin, even tho, there's some prestigious projects he's been trusted with. A rising star?

Kathleen Kennedy must be the warranty for this stand alone . . . even tho some seems to survive their Star Wars endevours by sheer luck

Edited by t-darko

I've been looking in to this film and well... the credentials of the director and screenwriter leave much to be desired.

I have to admit that it looks abit thin, even tho, there's some prestigious projects he's been trusted with. A rising star?

Kathleen Kennedy must be the warranty for this stand alone . . . even tho some seems to survive their Star Wars endevours by sheer luck

To be fair, some of Disney's big hits have been directed by relative 'unknowns'.

Before the first Pirates of the Caribbean came out, Gore Verbinski was 'that guy who directed The Ring'. Iron Man was directed by Jon Favreau, who was primarily an actor - his biggest directing gig up 'til then had been the pseudo-Jumanji sequel Zathura. Heck, even Joss Whedon, as beloved as he had been on the small screen, only had one movie under his belt before Avengers - and that was Serenity, which bombed hard at the box office - but Disney still trusted him with the film that was going to make or break the absolutely huge investment they had made with the interlinked Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I'm not saying "Hey, this guy has no real credentials, he must be awesome!" just pointing out that Disney has done an okay job of sniffing out talent in the past even when a director's resume might not be all that amazing on paper.

Edited by DarthDymond

To be fair, some of Disney's big hits have been directed by relative 'unknowns'.

Before the first Pirates of the Caribbean came out, Gore Verbinski was 'that guy who directed The Ring'. Iron Man was directed by Jon Favreau, who was primarily an actor - his biggest directing gig up 'til then had been the pseudo-Jumanji sequel Zathura. Heck, even Joss Whedon, as beloved as he had been on the small screen, only had one movie under his belt before Avengers - and that was Serenity, which bombed hard at the box office - but Disney still trusted him with the film that was going to make or break the absolutely huge investment they had made with the interlinked Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I'm not saying "Hey, this guy has no real credentials, he must be awesome!" just pointing out that Disney has done an okay job of sniffing out talent in the past even when a director's resume might not be all that amazing on paper.

and to move away from Disney remember before LOTR all Peter Jackson had ever done was low budget horror films

I'm biased against Disney because they cancelled TCW, feel free to ignore my gratuitous negativity. :p

Fair points, fair points. I guess I'll have a little faith in Disney... for now.

First...looper was actually a pretty decent movie. Second NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can be a worse screenwriter and director than Lucas. He himself once said he was a bad screen writer (truth). Second IG is a running joke that Lucas' idea of direction was to just say "faster....more intense". Hell when this was mentioned to Mark Hamill in an interview (about working with JJ) he laughed and said " I see some one has done their research.

Lucas was a BAD screen writer and a BAD director. He was good at those "story by" credits, that's it.

First...looper was actually a pretty decent movie. Second NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can be a worse screenwriter and director than Lucas. He himself once said he was a bad screen writer (truth). Second IG is a running joke that Lucas' idea of direction was to just say "faster....more intense". Hell when this was mentioned to Mark Hamill in an interview (about working with JJ) he laughed and said " I see some one has done their research.

Lucas was a BAD screen writer and a BAD director. He was good at those "story by" credits, that's it.

Lucas had good ideas though, and good people to help realise them.

None of these guys worked on Looper though, your thinking of the guy directing Episode VIII.

Lucas had good ideas though, and good people to help realise them.

None of these guys worked on Looper though, your thinking of the guy directing Episode VIII.

You are correct on one point... I was thinking Johnson. That said...sorry...Lucas sucked on anything btlut creating the general rules and concept of a world. I honestly think most any screen writer director with any credits behinds them could do better. Back in the day (yes I saw a New Hope in the theater with my dad first time around) the actors who worked with Lucas were "damning" with their praise...

No one can do worse than he did if you remove hero worship from the equation. Especially when the screenwriter has been an Oscar nominee. (Chris Weitz)

Edited by Ghisallo

You are correct on one point... I was thinking Johnson. That said...sorry...Lucas sucked on anything btlut creating the general rules and concept of a world. I honestly think most any screen writer director with any credits behinds them could do better. Back in the day (yes I saw a New Hope in the theater with my dad first time around) the actors who worked with Lucas were "damning" with their praise...

No one can do worse than he did if you remove hero worship from the equation. Especially when the screenwriter has been an Oscar nominee. (Chris Weitz)

Great, that's what you just said.

Great, that's what you just said.

Yes and you are making it sound like the people working the movie are hacks. They aren't. You pointed out the guy I named was for Episode VIII for Rogue. I admitted a mistake and then pointed out the proper people and the same concept still applied.

Edited by Ghisallo