Operations Forum - Speed Run Challenge

At first, I was thinking this was another one of those "let me see if I can be popular" threads, but I'll give it to you, you are putting the effort into this.

My quick thoughts are its not worth it to do weekly competitions that don't even have prizes. Why not just be the person to track the all time fastest runs? We don't have that yet and then people could see the times from previous weeks to give them a goal. I'd also like to see what an all stealth group could do. Its going to happen either way, so why not track it. I'm sure if you don't, someone else will anyways. Stealth is just another mechanic of the game and even though it can be extremely cheesy, there is still interest in what the fastest time possible is.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first, I was thinking this was another one of those "let me see if I can be popular" threads, but I'll give it to you, you are putting the effort into this.

Thank you. I'm trying. I've actually wanted to do something like this for a while. But my guild wasn't interested, so I held off. Seeing this competition, I know the interest is now there. I just want the community to have something like this.

My quick thoughts are its not worth it to do weekly competitions that don't even have prizes. Why not just be the person to track the all time fastest runs? We don't have that yet and then people could see the times from previous weeks to give them a goal. I'd also like to see what an all stealth group could do. Its going to happen either way, so why not track it. I'm sure if you don't, someone else will anyways. Stealth is just another mechanic of the game and even though it can be extremely cheesy, there is still interest in what the fastest time possible is.

So I should note something: They don't have prizes yet. They will soon.

The reason I am doing biweekly operation switches is because it creates a sense of urgency (important in getting anyone to do anything) that "Just post a time whenever you feel like" doesn't. Further, this creates an incentive to keep coming back with the points system. In the future, I would like to do "seasons" where each of the 9 operations is run through with the points used to allocate prizes at the end. Right now, though, I'm in a Ph.D. program and don't have time nor credits to farm prizes. Basically, I need to get this off the ground first before I'm willing to commit there.

Seconds, as far as stealth, this is an issue I was really unsure on, but arguments of several other people have changed my mind. As for the ANY% runtime, if this weren't an MMO with anti-exploit rules, I would be all for it (since someone I'm sure knows some crazy tricks). However, because this is an MMO, exploiting is heavily frowned upon. I don't want to create a venue to encourage it, let alone require people recording it so they can get banhammered if it gets linked.

The best thing to do is try to create a level playing field, and if I'm noticing certain patterns becoming dominant, try to make changes to address it.

how about forcing the group comp to 2 heals and 2 tanks?

In the interest of having a spirited competition...

Otherwise the gear allows people to run 6 DPS in some SM ops at higher gear levels...

T.

This is something I won't do. There's a number of reasons for this. First, several groups require 1 tank 5 dps for Underlurker SM. Second, KP and EV were generally designed for 1 tank (other than pylons and Jarg/Sorno).

Further, I feel this creates a great risk/reward game, where the more DPS you bring, the harder it is, but the faster you can clear. I'm actually hoping to see 8 dps runs on EV. This risk/reward is exemplified by the fact that the lockout system means your group will only get two shots, so you have to pick your battles.

But the biggest reason is that it is simply unenforceable. There is no easy way to tell if someone is in one spec or another from a video, since they may be out of shot and I can't see casts and such. Also, the amount of work that would create on the end of video reviewers would be dramatic.

Edited by Death_By_Smiley

Fastest Story Mode Time wins a Hypercrate for your guild!

Super special thanks to Oofalong of the Chandrian for offering to furnish a prize. Please be aware that I cannot promise prizes every single session, but I will try to figure out "season" prizes if this gets off the ground.

In case people missed it, I wanted to highlight that I will offer a hypercrate to the fastest guild to clear SM Ravagers in this competition cycle. You will have your choice of any currently available hypercrate on the cartel market; I will roll a toon on the winning guild's server and trade it to you.

Good luck & have fun!

DB you have done what BW couldn't and Thank You for this and all the time u will put in this. My group won't win Rav our best time so far is 35 minutes, and that damn Underlurker hates me, so we always wipe at least once but I will try and get other guilds on JC. One question are these strictly guild runs or is that open as well.

DB you have done what BW couldn't and Thank You for this and all the time u will put in this. My group won't win Rav our best time so far is 35 minutes, and that damn Underlurker hates me, so we always wipe at least once but I will try and get other guilds on JC. One question are these strictly guild runs or is that open as well.

For the foreseeable future, this will be strictly guild runs. It becomes difficult to report without using a guild name, and meshing two guilds together could cause problems.

I've put in some rules in place. Since we're doing Ravagers next, I'll list the trash that must be killed:

Trash inside the bar

Does that include the 2 mobs (Giant shore crab??) That are automatically pulled when killing this particular group and can be evaded when going into the bulo area?

Does that include the 2 mobs (Giant shore crab??) That are automatically pulled when killing this particular group and can be evaded when going into the bulo area?

At the risk of people yelling at me for giving away a secret, if you pull the mobs outside of the bar before AOEing them down, the crabs don't bother you.

I'm considering the crabs ambient mobs here (setting the mood). They are by no means required, mainly because they are not directly in the path to Bulo.

a) Ravagers 8m SM

b) Working as Intended

c) Republic

d) Jedi Covenant

e) 2:34:13AM UTC; Wednesday, March 4th, 2015

f) 3:01:45AM UTC; Wednesday, March 4th, 2015

g) Video: http://www.twitch.tv/plocks/c/6245692

h) Composition: 1 tank, 5 dps, 2 healers (though one of the DPS, periodically switched stance/gear to tanky)

Thanks for popping that Cherry! Let's get some more times guys! I have confirmed times are reportedly accurately. Will ensure trash pulls later.

I just saw that Dulfy has a pointer to this challenge on her site, that is great. There should be a lot more people knowing about it now.

Looking forward to see the best times. Ours is about double of the one on the leaderboard, so I don't think we will do a serious attempt anytime soon. but maybe I can get my groupt to try one of the older OPs.

Edit: on a side note:

It says in the rules that 7/8 need to be guild members. I do not really understand the requirement for this. I'm in an OPs group that has members of 3 guilds (5,2,1), so we wouldn't be able to attend. Nobody of us intents to leave their original guild, but we still meet on a regular schedule to do OPs together with the same 8 people each week.

Edit 2: I see it says: 6/8 guild members, has this changed or am I making 7/8 up in my mind? Anyway, I do not understand the reasoning for this rule. As I said, we will not attend anyway, I just would like to understand the line of thought for it. What is the difference between a guild group and a fix OPs group with members of different guilds (that may give themselves a name tag for the purpose of this challenge to be recognisable)?

Edited by Kacynski

So...there's a number of reason's I'm requiring guild runs. The biggest one is this: a guild requires an obvious nameplate, which ensures each guild can only submit once. This is because going forward, I would like to do season runs with season-long rewards, where a season is all 9 operations. I will, however, be willing to lower the guild member requirement to 5/8 on the basis that 5 is a majority, but the submissions will be in the name of the guild with 5 people in it.

As for not submitting your time because you won't win, please do anyways. We have one submission so far. This isn't Ricky Bobby. "If you're not first, you're last" has no bearing here. Most importantly, if this competition is going to get off the ground, we need it to...you know...actually get off the ground. This means having people participate, even if they don't think they can win. If come the end of this session, we only have 3 or so submissions, I honestly don't see this getting very far. I want to do this competition. But there has to actually be a competition.

Hi, unfortunately, I have not inserted UTC text, read it after the ops was completed. However our time (38:20) is not so good to place in any top 5 so please take this admission as support to this thread and thanks for bringing more fun into opsing.

a) Ravagers SM 8

b) Cryogenic - http://cryogenicswtor.enjin.com/home

c) Empire

d) Red Eclipse

e) Start Time (UTC) - UTC 2015 March 04 - 19:26

f) End Time (UTC) - UTC 2015 March 04 - 20:04

g) http://youtu.be/SQdopV_QjVc

h) 2 T 2 H 4 DPS

P.S.: I must say I have been highly disappointed by canceling of the event - we are no top raiding guild, however, any way to bring fun would be great and we were looking forward to take part in this regardless the result ...

P.S. 2: we did standard roll through ops, no skipping, no char changes, no skipping just a run as it is - as I said UTC time is not included, if you decide to dismiss this, it is up to you.

Hi, unfortunately, I have not inserted UTC text, read it after the ops was completed. However our time (38:20) is not so good to place in any top 5 so please take this admission as support to this thread and thanks for bringing more fun into opsing.

a) Ravagers SM 8

b) Cryogenic - http://cryogenicswtor.enjin.com/home

c) Empire

d) Red Eclipse

e) Start Time (UTC) - UTC 2015 March 04 - 19:26

f) End Time (UTC) - UTC 2015 March 04 - 20:04

g) http://youtu.be/SQdopV_QjVc

h) 2 T 2 H 4 DPS

P.S.: I must say I have been highly disappointed by canceling of the event - we are no top raiding guild, however, any way to bring fun would be great and we were looking forward to take part in this regardless the result ...

P.S. 2: we did standard roll through ops, no skipping, no char changes, no skipping just a run as it is - as I said UTC time is not included, if you decide to dismiss this, it is up to you.

You'll additionally be able to submit next week, since this is a two week session. I would go for a better time and have that clock! (also in the future, make sure you have the video as either public or unlisted. I can't see private videos) :)

For now, I won't put it on the leaderboard just because I want to kind of set the tone. That said, thank you very much for participating! :)