The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech PVP Question

Obsinius

I'm running a Shield Tech PT and I enjoy PVE with it, but I was thinking of trying a few things out with PVP. In the way back machine I had a Vanguard that I ran a really nice hybrid build with that was mostly defense but used DPS gear in PVP. It was very effective. I was thinking about running shield tech and changing out the mods in the supercommando gear to boost damage but keep the armoring to take advantage of the defensive set bonus.

Is this still viable in the crazy 3.0 cookie cutter days?

Disclaimer: Just pointing out what experience I've had with a build trying to go for more damage as a tank, not a guide/nor am I claiming to be all knowing on this sort of thing.

I can't speak for group ranked (and admittedly I am on a PVE server), but for solo ranked and regulars I've seen it work fairly well. I'm currently trying a build where I go for endurance >power>other stats.

I use fortitude augments, the shield/absorb implants/ear and the high endurance aim/power mods. Right now I still use the high endurance shield/absorb enhancements but i'm considering using the high endurance power/surge ones..

I consistently deal much more damage than the other teams tank (most of the time at least twice as much, though I have no proof it isn't simply a difference in apm) while doing similar protection.

I've found that most teams won't focus you, and in the few cases they do they won't even focus you properly (as in just enough to make you pop a cooldown, then switch, then rinse/repeat until you are out of cooldowns then go for the kill)

As for going for full damage gear (not focusing on high endurance) I don't think the increase in damage is necessarily worth it, because when I go against tanks with a full damage build they don't do noticeably higher damage than me (once again I can't tell if apm is making up for the difference or not )

So I personally believe the focusing on endurance would be best because it does make you more survivable as a tank, and it will even discourage teams from trying to tunnel you (unless they know your gear before hand, they'd have no way of knowing you have less absorb when they see your 50k+ health vs your 40ish health that you'd have in full dps gear.)

If you are just going for regs or if solo ranked is as serious as you go for pvp you'll probably do fairly well. Just remember that this will never be more than a poor man's dps build and that you are a tank so guard swap/taunting is your job over dpsing :)

Edited by Rebel_Guy

For regs you can go full DPS gear with ST and get great Prot also. Have done up to 1800 dps while guarding.

For solo is either full Tank gear or mix with dps gear, fortitude augments etc depending on playstyle.

I suspect ~max tank for group arena.

Edited by Aetideus

Awesome info guys thanks. I'll build a full tank and full DPS PVP set and start mixing and matching and see what happens. I'm just glad some customization is possible because the new cookie cutter trees kind of get a bit stale. I like to experiment and create.

Awesome info guys thanks. I'll build a full tank and full DPS PVP set and start mixing and matching and see what happens. I'm just glad some customization is possible because the new cookie cutter trees kind of get a bit stale. I like to experiment and create.

But always use Tank bonus.