The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Padme - how you disappoint me. :(

Gentleman_snow

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet, you defend it, which is pathetic.

I think the problem is fandom. If you love or like a movie some people feel that acknowledging a weakness is contradictory. Example, in Episode IV Luke is whiney and the dialogue questionable BUT this doesn't take away from the movie IMO. The rest of the movie (overall story, special effects, and key performances such as Sir Alec Guinness', James Earl Jones etc) rise to the occasion.

Now I think the prequels pale in comparison to the original movies for a number of reasons but the same applies. Ewan Macgregor, Samuel L Jackson and the over all story make the mess that was Christensen's performance, and the relationship between Anakin and Padme ignorable.

Some people though have an "all or none" attitude when it comes to this kind thing.

Edited by Ghisallo

IMO Padme was one of the worst mistake Anakin could have made, they didn't go together and she drove him to the dark side.

He drove himself. He was doomed from the jump as he could not keep his own emotions in check. She didn't make him wipe out an entire village of Sandpeople, including women and children. She didn't make him feel like the Jedi didn't respect his potential enough and instead treated him as the inexperienced boy he was. She didn't make him obey Sidious when he decapitated Dooku after literally disarming him. Whether she was there or not Sidious would have twisted him into what he became. Anakin had all the anger and messed up emotional issues that a young boy raised in slavery would.

If anyone contributed to his fall it was the Jedi. They kept giving him power and responsibilities, continuously placed him in emotionally charged and violent situations when he lacked the emotional maturity to handle those emotions.

He drove himself. He was doomed from the jump as he could not keep his own emotions in check. She didn't make him wipe out an entire village of Sandpeople, including women and children. She didn't make him feel like the Jedi didn't respect his potential enough and instead treated him as the inexperienced boy he was. She didn't make him obey Sidious when he decapitated Dooku after literally disarming him. Whether she was there or not Sidious would have twisted him into what he became. Anakin had all the anger and messed up emotional issues that a young boy raised in slavery would.

If anyone contributed to his fall it was the Jedi. They kept giving him power and responsibilities, continuously placed him in emotionally charged and violent situations when he lacked the emotional maturity to handle those emotions.

Yes but nobody normal would marriage a boy ( he was 17 how was this legal ) that had that many problem who also came across like a Stalker and expect that he would get better and a adult she should have known better

Yes but nobody normal would marriage a boy ( he was 17 how was this legal ) that had that many problem who also came across like a Stalker and expect that he would get better and a adult she should have known better

Well a few things on that he was a boy but of the age of consent. Additionally if the Jedi are sending him into battle and accepting that he is going to be killing people, placing him in charge of her security detail, is he a boy? (The old "old enough to die for your country? you should be old enough to drink argument). Now if they had been romantically linked when he was 9 and she 14 I would be in agreement, but one would not be wrong in assuming that if the noble order of Jedi see him as mature enough to be sent into battle, when you are contemporaries (age wise), he is old enough to be in a relationship with.

(PS I do think that George would have been better served making them BOTH older, it makes no sense she was an elected queen at 14 either. Why he did this I don't know because prodigy or not for an order that values emotion control, sending a child to war makes little sense.)

Also remember she is only 4-5 years older than him. The woman I dated before my wife was 6 years older than I was and my wife is 6 years younger than me.

Edited by Ghisallo

Well a few things on that he was a boy but of the age of consent. Additionally if the Jedi are sending him into battle and accepting that he is going to be killing people is he a boy? (The old "old enough to die for your country? you should be old enough to drink argument). Now if they had been romantically linked when he was 9 and she 14 I would be in agreement, but one would not be wrong in assuming that if the noble order of Jedi see him as mature enough to be sent into battle, when you are contemporaries (age wise), he is old enough to be in a relationship with.

(PS I do think that George would have been better served making them BOTH older, it makes no sense she was an elected queen at 14 either. Why he did this I don't know because prodigy or not for an order that values emotion control, sending a child to war makes little sense.)

Also remember she is only 4-5 years older than him. The woman I dated before my wife was 6 years older than I was and my wife is 6 years younger than me.

Anakin was far far to immature to be getting married he honestly seem at points like to was 15 whether as she seemed 30, their age gap would have seem fine if they were a few years older. Obi should have done something about this as Anakin's master, although in the deleted scenes Obi does talk to Yoda and Windu about it a they say something along the line of " trust your Padawan " seriously bad call there guys

Anakin was far far to immature to be getting married he honestly seem at points like to was 15 whether as she seemed 30, their age gap would have seem fine if they were a few years older. Obi should have done something about this as Anakin's master, although in the deleted scenes Obi does talk to Yoda and Windu about it a they say something along the line of " trust your Padawan " seriously bad call there guys

Yes but again I see it, since Lucas made both of them so young, as the fault of the Order. They not only treat him like an adult but give him the responsibility of a VERY mature and Trustworthy adult. Sent to war, placed in charge of security details etc. Relationships really are about maturity. The reason why we say my marriage is fine is because I met my wife was when she was in her mid-20's. We assume an amount of maturity due to her age. The Jedi Order created the same of Anakin because of the duty assignments they gave him.

That said I think this yet another example of Lucas being good at concepts and plot but HORRIBLE at actually telling the story. Tbh I also think a lot of it was about merchandising. Making Anakin 9 in the first movie makes for good merchandising for kids. In order to have that merchandizing boon you need to make Padme too young as well. What is silly is that her age feels like an after thought...kinda an "oh yeah I don't want her to be a child molester so I need to make her ridiculously young as well." I remember my nephew and his friends at the time. I asked why all they wanted was Anakin stuff and not Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon stuff...I mean Jedi's are cooler right? Nope...Anakin was a kid, just like them and they all wanted the stuff related to him because of it.

For people who may doubt that merchandizing might have something to do with it... First Jar Jar, second the original idea for RoJ was for Han to die heroically and Luke to ride off alone into the sunset, exhausted, like an old western.". However merchandizing concerns helped to change those things.

And what does age have to do with love?

My boyfriend is younger than me and he doesn't care and neither does our friends and family. So again tell me what the hell age has to do with love and romance?

Nothing.

They're not complaining about young males with older women, the main complaint here is ;

Both Anakin and Padme was, according to most people in this post, too young. Not for eachother, but too young in their first apperance. I am actually agreeing a bit; making both 3 years older or so would've been decent.

Also, they're complaining about their love being too "quick", as she did block of his attempts earlier etc and didn't really have "any good reason" to change that. I'm not sure if this is entirely true, but no matter, they could've added more to their romance before they became romanitcally involved. I guess they just wanted Padme to be hard to get until suddenly Anakin was upset and all after his first massmurder and that sounded extremelly romantic in Padme's head. Of course, she likely felt with him due to the loss of his mother, and it's not unlikely that she liked him since before this as well, but her thoughts of duty kept her off it until this moment. So it's not that bad, really. But yeah, they should both've been 2-3 years older in the "first" movie.

Haven't read the thread and the discussion at hand, just wanted to mention @OP...

There are psychologists and psychiatrists out there, people who know all the red flags, warning signs, the "DO NOT TOUCH" bright flashy colors that warn them when a certain individual is toxic. Even they can fall victim to abusive, controlling relationships, deny what's going on, reject the accusations from concerned friends and family, and ignore all the warnings. Even these professionals can wind up in a cycle of control or abuse, trying to convince themselves that it isn't what it seems, make excuses, etc. It happens.

While I feel Padme was very poorly executed in Episode 3, it isn't entirely far fetched. She's terribly in love. She's making a choice to deny what Anakin is. She's making excuses for him. She doesn't want to see the writing on the wall, she's ignoring everything he's done and begging him to put everything back to normal. He's turned her world completely upside down and she's in shock and disbelief. Had she lived through it, she almost certainly would have come to terms with what has passed and dealt with it in a way we would expect from her.

My only real gripe is that she "died of a broken heart". We can pretend all we want that the Emperor siphoned her life away to sustain Anakin, but sadly in reality it's just bad writing and bad directing. Period.

Edited by eldefail

Nope I read he was 17 and Padme was 22

I think that was another part of the problem that made the 'romance' between them hard to buy, the decision to make Anakin a kid in the first movie for merchandising purposes.

You can go on for days about their 'official' ages in the movies, but it doesn't change what we see in the movies. Which is that Anakin goes from an actual 9 year old boy to a grown man in his early 20's...while Padme goes from a grown woman in her late teens to a grown woman in her early 20's. :p

Either Anakin should have been older in the first one, or Padme should have been, and appropriately cast for, younger.

As it is, their relationship is less 'epic romance' and more 'very screwed uprelationship between two very screwed up people'. Anakin because he's an egotistical emotionally unbalanced prat, and Padme because she fell in love with a little boy, though at least she waited till he grew up I suppose. And it's all just compounded by the bad script and lack of chemistry.

Edited by jovianus