Blaster bolt speed and power!

Wolfninjajedi

The only thing I would question is the "silencing" bit. You can't silence a SIZZLE as superheated matter passes through the air and I can't remember a single instance in any of the novels or comics where it is attempted to boot. A supppressed slug thrower though (a better term than silenced tbh) is suppressed.

This isn't to say a slugthrower is better BTW. For a slug thrower to be a viable alternative takes cash and training in the Star Wars Universe because they do have a steeper learning curve and their rarity (at the blleding edge of combat) commands a premium price.

Found it, it's actually a rifle, not an attachment.

Used by assassins, the Xerrol nightstinger is a sporting blaster rifle designed for sniping at long range. Instead of using an energy cell for ammunition, the nightstinger utilizes special canisters of exotic gases that produce powerful shots that are invisible to the naked eye.

- Taken from Galaxy of Intrigue

Xerrol Nightstinger in action.

Although there is a nifty little equipment piece that doesn't give away a sniper's position.

A redirection crystal is filled with Tibanna Gas and has a small blasting tube. Snipers and assassins use them to seemingly blank blaster shots, allowing the shooter to hide in one location while making a shot appear to come from another direction.

- Taken from same book

There is also the DC-19 stealth carbine.

A specially modified variant of the DC-15 used by shadow troopers, it was equipped with a sound suppressor and gas adaptor that allowed it to fire nearly invisible bolts.

- Taken from Complete Encyclopedia.

So SW clearly does have the tech to make invisible blaster bolts on their blasters.

Why they don't do this more often?....Who knows.

Perhaps it's kinda pointless, when you have a blaster that can blow someone's limb off and kill with pretty much one shot.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well there are a few things... First the word of exotic is used a lot. This means, rare, expensive and not always readily available. Also they all seem to violate a rather important rule when it comes to weapons... Weapons need to be "soldier proof"... meaning that they need to require minimal to no maintenance so your lowest common denominator "grunt" can be issued the weapon without fear. Exotic and complicated does not = soldier proof lol.

Well there are a few things... First the word of exotic is used a lot. This means, rare, expensive and not always readily available. Also they all seem to violate a rather important rule when it comes to weapons... Weapons need to be "soldier proof"... meaning that they need to require minimal to no maintenance so your lowest common denominator "grunt" can be issued the weapon without fear. Exotic and complicated does not = soldier proof lol.

This is true, but who says grunts need to have them? But still was just making a point, there is tech that can make bolts invisible/silent.

This is true, but who says grunts need to have them? But still was just making a point, there is tech that can make bolts invisible/silent.

I would still argue that those were written by people who don't get physics. I can see silencing the initial discharge...the right gas creating a translucent bolt... But the bolts do damage based on heat. That heat would superheat the air and create noise as it passes through the air. No way to eliminate that.

Most people don't know this but the same rule applies to firearms. If you don't want the supersonic "bang" being heard you need sub sonic ammunition (which they do make.). If you don't want the action of the weapon going Clack...clack... clack... You have a weapon modified so a selector switch makes it so the action does not automatically cycle the next round.

Now this works with firearms because u can do this with a .45 cal round and the mass of the round will still deliver a fair amount of energy into the target. A blaster does damage however by transferring heat. If you were to also eliminate the "sizzle" of the blaster round I think the damage done would simply not be worth it.

So my guess is that a silenced slug thrower could potentially be silent with the exception of the action of the weapon/fireing pin striking. A Blaster will at least have that tell tale sizzle.

I would still argue that those were written by people who don't get physics. I can see silencing the initial discharge...the right gas creating a translucent bolt... But the bolts do damage based on heat. That heat would superheat the air and create noise as it passes through the air. No way to eliminate that.

Most people don't know this but the same rule applies to firearms. If you don't want the supersonic "bang" being heard you need sub sonic ammunition (which they do make.). If you don't want the action of the weapon going Clack...clack... clack... You have a weapon modified so a selector switch makes it so the action does not automatically cycle the next round.

Now this works with firearms because u can do this with a .45 cal round and the mass of the round will still deliver a fair amount of energy into the target. A blaster does damage however by transferring heat. If you were to also eliminate the "sizzle" of the blaster round I think the damage done would simply not be worth it.

So my guess is that a silenced slug thrower could potentially be silent with the exception of the action of the weapon/fireing pin striking. A Blaster will at least have that tell tale sizzle.

I find it best to not include real world physics in SW. :p

Real world physics demand that "light" sabers could have infinite range.

Real world physics demand that if tech is advanced enough to contain hot plasma at a set length at a set width, we have the technology to make something that completely eclipses it.

Real world physics demand that merely holding an active lightsaber hilt could cause severe burns.

Real world physics demand that dogfights in space are BS. (Lack of air resistance causes loss of maneuverability)

Real world physics say there is no sound in space.

Real world physics demand that Emperor Palpatine actually won... :eek:

Point being, while I am sure there are mistakes in the examples above *I am a droid, not a scientist dangnabit!*, the point being that there are things in fiction that there is simply no way for us to understand or comprehend how they might work without seeming to break those laws. While there are things that are quite possible, such as mechanical prosthetic, droids, laser weaponry, ect. Sadly, not everything works so well. Otherwise, I demand I gain force ability this instant! :p :p :p

I will say though that there are some situations when I think slugthrowers > blasters, but very rarely. Mostly specialized situations.

Edited by Silenceo

Real world physics demand that "light" sabers could have infinite range.

Real world physics demand that if tech is advanced enough to contain hot plasma at a set length at a set width, we have the technology to make something that completely eclipses it.

Real world physics demand that merely holding an active lightsaber hilt could cause severe burns.

Real world physics demand that dogfights in space are BS. (Lack of air resistance causes loss of maneuverability)

Real world physics say there is no sound in space.

Real world physics demand that Emperor Palpatine actually won... :eek:

Point being, while I am sure there are mistakes in the examples above *I am a droid, not a scientist dangnabit!*, the point being that there are things in fiction that there is simply no way for us to understand or comprehend how they might work without seeming to break those laws. While there are things that are quite possible, such as mechanical prosthetic, droids, laser weaponry, ect. Sadly, not everything works so well. Otherwise, I demand I gain force ability this instant! :p :p :p

I will say though that there are some situations when I think slugthrowers > blasters, but very rarely. Mostly specialized situations.

In Shatterpoint that was the case, the planet did something funky to blaster tech, can't recall what it was, too lazy to look but yeah Slugthrowers were more common in there.

When the description is less than detailed on an issue that is our only option. We actually see how they do address rl physics with Star Wars tech btw. Originally the lightsaber was a "laser" sword. Someone pointed out that this made no sense because lasers go on forever and the blades would pass through each other. So we now have what is essentially a plasma sword contained within an energy field. Hyperdrives are the same. While as much a "made up" thing as Star Trek's Heisenberg Compensator, part of the Hyperdrive generates a stasis field so that the relativistic passage of time does not mean you come out of hyperspace decades after your brother died. Heck you see it with the fact that the explain using particular gases with blasters in order to make the bolts translucent (or the fact they are blasters period and not lasers to explain why they are bolts, visible, travel slower than light and make noise in the first place)

I could go on and describe many other examples but I think I made my point

People often like saying "don't bring science into it" it inconveniences a theory but various writers have done as good a job as you can with such tech in coming up with explanations.

So Occam's razor. IRL most silenced guns are really just suppressed. You still hear noise it is just low enough that it can mask the location of the shot and not turn a small room into a rock concert. Same likely applies to Blaster suppressors until stated otherwise.

For those of you who think blaster bolts can't be dodged because they move about as fast as a bullet, well, they can be dodged.

Examples:

In TCW episode "Bounty", the leader of the Kage warriors was able to dodge a blaster bolt that was aimed at his chest and was fired by Boba Fett.

We frequently see Commando Droids dodging blaster bolts.

In TCW episode "Crisis on Naboo", we saw Obi-Wan dodging blaster bolts that were fired from Cad Bane at point blank range.

Just to name a few.

For those of you who think blaster bolts can't be dodged because they move about as fast as a bullet, well, they can be dodged.

Examples:

In TCW episode "Bounty", the leader of the Kage warriors was able to dodge a blaster bolt that was aimed at his chest and was fired by Boba Fett.

We frequently see Commando Droids dodging blaster bolts.

In TCW episode "Crisis on Naboo", we saw Obi-Wan dodging blaster bolts that were fired from Cad Bane at point blank range.

Just to name a few.

Droid Commandos aren't humans, they are an elite special forces CIS unit. They would have droid reflexes.

Obi-Wan is a Jedi...so of course he would be able to dodge them.

And like pretty much a lot of TCW, it waters down a lot of things compared to the rest of the EU. Where in said EU, they cannot be dodged but normal human means.

Even then it's out of the random blue, someone actually dodges a blaster shot in TCW, it's not like a consistent thing where everyone is.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

A mirror can reflect a blaster bolt? For 30 years I was under the impression blasters are not lasers? Or am I wrong?

Referring to the IG-88 quote.

If it's a laser, then yes. However, lasers don't generate sound when they travel. What you're usually hearing is the machinery that creates or focuses the beam.

A mirror can reflect a blaster bolt? For 30 years I was under the impression blasters are not lasers? Or am I wrong?

Referring to the IG-88 quote.

It's just the wording of the quote, laser bolt= blaster bolt. Whichever really, it was a blaster she picked up and fired and he deflected it right back at her with his palm.