[BUG] Unable to attach screenshots in BUG REPORTS forums area

dscount

Okay.. I've seen it work in some of the SWTOR SUB-Forums, but if we want to see them more often it should be enabled in the BUG REPORTS forums to post without having to do a 3rd Party website. :)

Screenshots speak volumes and make it easier if we don't have multiple external steps to provide them.

Tried to RECREATE by logging this ticket and attaching a screenshot. Not able to ADD. ;(

That's a fair request, and so I have activated the code for this subforum.

That done, we have had abuses of this in the past, which is why it was disabled in the first place. Any further abuses of this will be dealt with very severely.

Also, it shouldn't be working on any of the sub forums (except here), so I'm going to clean that up when I can.

That done, we have had abuses of this in the past, which is why it was disabled in the first place. Any further abuses of this will be dealt with very severely.

Also, it shouldn't be working on any of the sub forums (except here), so I'm going to clean that up when I can.

oh wow, thank you oh mighty and noble one

Allowing us to use the tag won't really solve anything, we still have to upload it to an external site. Whether we link to an image or show it directly inside the post doesn't really make much of a difference.

And why disable to image tag everywhere else? It has been working in the Community Content forums for years now and we had every reason to assume that this was working as intended.

Edited by Jerba

Yes.. I'll PM you the sub-forum that it worked.

You got to enable the ability to ATTACH an actual JPG screen shot, but the IMAGE add doesn't help as mentioned.

I'll crawl around in the ventilation of the Forum Controls shortly and see what I can uncover - the only image related option when it pertained to the subforum was that, so it might taken some higher level management.

I'll crawl around in the ventilation of the Forum Controls shortly and see what I can uncover - the only image related option when it pertained to the subforum was that, so it might taken some higher level management.

Have fun with that! :) I sent you a PM on the sub-forum it worked in recently before changes to forums. Just let me know if you need a LINK to that location. That might help narrow down the container, site or whatever it's called to be checked out.

Please enable it again on the Community Content forum. The "Show off your characters" thread is just not the same now.

This. Entire Thread Ruined.

It's been that way since launch, and being the community content board, I'm sure it was intended to have it enabled. You don't just go in and nuke the ability because you don't think it should be that way, Tait, you weren't here when the site launched. Like I said, I'm very sure it was intended to be able to post images in that board.

Edited by Saregon

Oh come on!

You disabled code on the Community Content subforum?

That'll kill off the subforum completely!

Hm, looks like they went ahead and disabled images on the Fan Art subforum as well. Now all of the Community Content forums no longer allow image usage. :(

And we still haven't received an explanation on why they changed their policy; to the best of my knowledge there were no cases where someone abused the image function there.

We have looked into allowing actual uploads to the forums for the Bug Report forum but, since we cannot make that change forum-specific, we will not be activating it. Unfortunately at this time you will still need to use a third-party image hosting website to share images.

As for the tags, we discussed it, and it was never intended to be allowed anywhere on the forums. Due to the potential for causing problems, and due to issues we have had with the feature in the past, we have decided that it will not be reactivated anywhere, including the Bug Report forums.

-Tait

As for the tags, we discussed it, and it was never intended to be allowed anywhere on the forums. Due to the potential for causing problems, and due to issues we have had with the feature in the past, we have decided that it will not be reactivated anywhere, including the Bug Report forums.

-Tait

NEVER Intended? So you're telling me no one on the team knew that IMG tag has worked on the Community board for 3+ years? I seriously doubt that. I also looked at several of the image threads multiple times daily and have never once seen a problem or issue...assuming you mean people posting inappropriate pictures.

This just sounds like another excuse to not property police the forums...trust me, we've all seen how long it takes for any action to be taken on reported posts, leading me to believe the 2 or 3 people on the community team are the only people that moderate the forums.

assuming you mean people posting inappropriate pictures.

It goes deeper than that; now that it is fixed I can talk about it. :)

If you hosted the images on your own website and linked to them, you could monitor who looked at the pictures which would create privacy issues, and you could force players to automatically use a Refer-a-Friend link without clicking on it. I don't think anyone has been doing it, but the potential was there for any tech-savvy person.

A big tech company like Google or Facebook would be able to adjust the forum software to create a proxy server for images or add in a custom upload option, but sadly that's not possible with SWTOR's budget. At least by completely removing image tags, the forums will be a safer place for everyone. You need to click on a link before anything bad can happen, and the link target is always displayed on the toolbar so you'll know if it is a safe link or not.

Edited by Jerba

At least by completely removing image tags, the forums will be a safer place for everyone.

Mmm yes, now we'll just have people disguising referral links as image links and people will still click on them. :rolleyes:

(I won't, I'm smart enough to hover over it to see what it actually is before clicking, but I'm sure most people aren't.)