Loading screens - really??

LoverNoFighter

Incoming BS flame : - "it is your pc" , "your PC sux", "it is your internet", "your internet sux", "you need SSD to play swtor", "your HDD sux", "get a job and buy a new pc", "get a job and buy SSD"...

Someone needs a refresher course on Armchair Programming. ;P

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loading screens seem way faster from when it first came out. I remember waiting like 3x as long and made myself get a ssd. I reinstalled the game on a regular HD recently. I don't feel I need to move it over to the ssd Edited by Tcracker

• 1 month later...
Incoming BS flame : - "it is your pc" , "your PC sux", "it is your internet", "your internet sux", "you need SSD to play swtor", "your HDD sux", "get a job and buy a new pc", "get a job and buy SSD"...

Rather amazingly, this is the exact reason why we have load screens! We all have different computers of varying computing power.

So to cope with this they have to base the programing on the lowest specs.

If everyone in the world was running 64bit OS and 8+GB of RAM then I'm sure we could probably remove most of the load screens.

If you are moving from one area to another then it would need to load assets whichever game you are playing. So if your moving on foot to an new area, it is simple to load the assets as you move as it's known which assets are required, if however you are selecting an area from a list then it has to load the assets once it know where you are headed.

It's weird, sometimes when I go to a new area there's no loading screen and everything is already loaded on my screen but then it's like the game realizes it made a mistake and I get the loading screen then. I wonder if BW just really wants me to see the SoR promotional art several times a day. I already have it BW, I already have it!

It's weird, sometimes when I go to a new area there's no loading screen and everything is already loaded on my screen but then it's like the game realizes it made a mistake and I get the loading screen then. I wonder if BW just really wants me to see the SoR promotional art several times a day. I already have it BW, I already have it!

Fair point.

Same way the first mass effect did elaavators really long ones air locks work too by the way as a shuttle ride or haveing a door. That takes a long time to open.

And that is the difference. Its NOT that the "loading" doesn't exist...it does, it's just that you can go to the effort of having a "mask" (for lack of a better term) or use the traditional loading screen. WoW, SWTOR, they both go through the same exact loading... WoW has simply spent the time and resources of creating an illusion that it is not happening.

Example... when you hop on the speeder to go from the "raiders cove" part of Rishi to the other part... the created the illusion. Elsewhere they didn't. I don't sweat what amounts to an illusion. Then again I am a jaded and cynical SOB and I only have so much "sweat" to spread around.

Edited by Ghisallo

It's 2015. We've managed to put man on the moon. I think we can manage to remove the many loading screens that we have to endure in this game. They are not needed.

We had a man on the moon long before I was typing machine code from a magazine into my ZX81.

Darn, those 2 random dots racing across the tv screen were so cool.

And I suppose the mirror that was placed there for the laser that determines the distance the moon is from the earth just hopped on a shuttle and landed itself there.

Easy to manipulate the process/results if you want to hide something from the public. History's full of examples.;)