Slot Machine Nerf wipes out long-standing account

Bristol

Hey folks,

We know that there have been many questions about the Contraband Slot Machine and its intent. Here are a few notes on it:

• The Contraband Slot Machine is not bugged.
  • It is 100% not an exploit to use the Slot Machine.
  • If you feel the desire to sell access to your Stronghold, that’s totally up to you. As a reminder, do not scam people as that is against ToS.
  • We added the Slot Machine as a fun idea based on the positive feedback from the Nightlife event, so spend those credits to your heart’s content!

With that being said, we do hear the concern from many of you around the effects of the Jawa Junk’s drop rate on the economy. We are going to take a look at it and make changes accordingly. I will let you know once I know more. In the meantime, have fun! :rak_03:

-eric

There was so much talk on the forums that the slot machines were an exploit that I did not buy any crates until I saw THIS post from Eric. I then spend 2,500 CC and got 2 slot machines. I ONLY bought the packs because of the slot machine that was, as stated by Eric "The Contraband Slot Machine is not bugged.".

Bait and Switch much Guys...???

So, although I was in beta, although my amazing wife bought me the collector's edition, although I have been a subscriber since the very beginning, although I have 16 level 60 characters and 3 more at 57 or so, I am so unbelievably disappointed by this complete and in-your-face "thanks for giving us your cash, now go play in the mud" about-face.

Throw some more fuel on the fire, I go to my account page and am shocked, but I suppose ultimately not surprised that there is no "Unsubscribe" button. The best I could do was to delete my Credit Card information. Not satisfied that the company that just screwed me for 2,500 CC's would try to charge the card again, I phoned customer service and after a few security checks, they manually unsubscribed me.

This is probably my last post as my sub ends in 15 days and I am so disgusted with EA/ Bioware at the moment that I have absolutely ZERO desire to continue to pay them to screw me, their once faithful customer.

So VERY not cool SWTOR.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah BioWare's handling of this has been extremely poor.

While a moderate adjustment may have been needed changing the drop rates to 1/100 of what they were while increasing the price 50% one week after saying they were working as intended and thus encouraging people to spend real money to acquire them is shady to say the very least.

There was so much talk on the forums that the slot machines were an exploit that I did not buy any crates until I saw THIS post from Eric. I then spend 2,500 CC and got 2 slot machines. I ONLY bought the packs because of the slot machine that was, as stated by Eric "The Contraband Slot Machine is not bugged.".

Bait and Switch much Guys...???

So, although I was in beta, although my amazing wife bought me the collector's edition, although I have been a subscriber since the very beginning, although I have 16 level 60 characters and 3 more at 57 or so, I am so unbelievably disappointed by this complete and in-your-face "thanks for giving us your cash, now go play in the mud" about-face.

Throw some more fuel on the fire, I go to my account page and am shocked, but I suppose ultimately not surprised that there is no "Unsubscribe" button. The best I could do was to delete my Credit Card information. Not satisfied that the company that just screwed me for 2,500 CC's would try to charge the card again, I phoned customer service and after a few security checks, they manually unsubscribed me.

This is probably my last post as my sub ends in 15 days and I am so disgusted with EA/ Bioware at the moment that I have absolutely ZERO desire to continue to pay them to screw me, their once faithful customer.

So VERY not cool SWTOR.

Guess you failed to read this part:

"With that being said, we do hear the concern from many of you around the effects of the Jawa Junk’s drop rate on the economy. We are going to take a look at it and make changes accordingly."

It wasn't a nerf, it was a gutting, it's fairly pointless now if you already have max rep. Seriously, out of 12 stacks of chips, I got 16 jawa trade in items (in total, not just junk), they might as well have taken those items out completely, that's 16 out of 1,188 tokens used, around 1 mil credits spent on tokens, 0 certificates and 0 mount. It's unbelievable. People going "it was needed" BUT the best you could do was double the money you spent on tokens, and that was IF you spent all day, everyday, just using the slots. Really the only people that made a ton of money were ones crafting with the materials. I didn't really care about the money, I saved all my materials to craft with, but now that prices have gone back up, more than what they were before the slots, I might just sell them and never have to craft again, which will be fairly boring. Edited by Skurei

"With that being said, we do hear the concern from many of you around the effects of the Jawa Junk’s drop rate on the economy. We are going to take a look at it and make changes accordingly."

guess you in turn failed to notice that JAWA JUNK does not equal JAWA SCRAP and certificates.

Very few people will quit over this nerf, but this is the sort of thing that destroys trust and will be a factor in driving players away long-term.

If they really screw up with the punishment for the Ravager exploit right after screwing up the slot machine I can see a lot of people just finally throwing up their hands and moving on.

It wasn't a nerf, it was a gutting, it's fairly pointless now if you already have max rep. Seriously, out of 12 stacks of chips, I got 16 jawa trade in items (in total, not just junk), they might as well have taken those items out completely, that's 16 out of 1,188 tokens used, around 1 mil credits spent on tokens, 0 certificates and 0 mount. It's unbelievable. People going "it was needed" BUT the best you could do was double the money you spent on tokens, and that was IF you spent all day, everyday, just using the slots. Really the only people that made a ton of money were ones crafting with the materials. I didn't really care about the money, I saved all my materials to craft with, but now that prices have gone back up, more than what they were before the slots, I might just sell them and never have to craft again, which will be fairly boring.

This is what i'm gonna do, heck the prices on midlithes were already over 40k this morning at reset. The whole market crash was contrived by those that want to maintain their monopoly on the market. Or at least it is on my server, considering I know some of the people that were doing it. They were posting at a loss just to get a nerf.

This is what i'm gonna do, heck the prices on midlithes were already over 40k this morning at reset. The whole market crash was contrived by those that want to maintain their monopoly on the market. Or at least it is on my server, considering I know some of the people that were doing it. They were posting at a loss just to get a nerf.

start your crew and gather mats yourself , your "monopol" problem is solved.

I just deleted my credit card info from my account. 6-month subscription expires in 10 days.

Your move, BioWare.

And the air continued to flow, the Earth continued to spin, human beings continued to live (although some die :(), and many others continue to play the game.

well eric said

With that being said, we do hear the concern from many of you around the effects of the Jawa Junk’s drop rate on the economy. We are going to take a look at it and make changes accordingly. I will let you know once I know more. In the meantime, have fun!

Right...Jawa Junk...which is the specific name of the purple jawa vendor loot.

The real problem wasn't the drop rates per se, it's the fact that you can buy grade 11 blue and purple!!!!!!!!!

They needed to fix the real problem, not the slot machines.

I have to agree with the OP on this one. For the Devs to come out one week and say it's working as intended "have fun", and the next patch to obliterate any chance for any type of scrap is a slap in the face. It was not an adjustment, it was a removal. I did not get a single scrap for a stack of tokens, where before I would have expected at least 30 in total. AND they increased the cost of the coins %150?!?!?

Is Bioware so understaffed they make all decisions with ZERO thought on what impact it might have and ZERO testing? It appears that way. Are they all really that removed from the game they develop to be entirely clueless what impact their decisions have on the game?

Slot - test 1 stack and see the results, discuss, adjust, done. (30 minutes tops)

Ravagers - oh man, vacation, super big issue developing no time to deal with it...shut the flipping instance down for a couple weeks until a fix can be made (15 minutes tops, and hours and hours saved of time having to go through and figure out who did what and how do we fix it).

I have one foot out the door. Help me Obiwan!

Throw some more fuel on the fire, I go to my account page and am shocked, but I suppose ultimately not surprised that there is no "Unsubscribe" button.

Indeed, no unsubscribe button, but there is a hyperlink that says cancel your subscription, which serves the same purpose. You can clearly see the hyperlink in the picture bellow.

http://i.imgur.com/80AM9pw.jpg

The only shocking thing here is the fact that you couldn't be bothered to scroll down or write the old republic unsubscribe in google.

start your crew and gather mats yourself , your "monopol" problem is solved.

That's a dangerous thing to say to someone who is a guild leader of a conquest guild. I know quite a few of my "crew" that will have a ball on the GTN after I take the reins off because we were putting those mats into winning conquests.

Request granted...

That says nothing about lowering the chance to get cartel certs by 40 times. 100 times less likely to get jawa junk, 66.6 times less likely to get blue junk, and 50 times less likely to get green junk. Is this a joke?

Yeah BioWare's handling of this has been extremely poor.

While a moderate adjustment may have been needed changing the drop rates to 1/100 of what they were while increasing the price 50% one week after saying they were working as intended and thus encouraging people to spend real money to acquire them is shady to say the very least.

^ This, right here...

Bioware has a very limited window to reverse this and apologize.