The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Every other class gets a signature weapon, why not them?

TalonVII

As the post says, when most classes upgrade to another class they get a signature weapon. Well sith and jedi have signature weapons already, lightsabers, though the shadow/assassin gets the dual blade.

But when a vanguard or Power tech upgrades, they simply get the same weapons. I find this kind of silly. Plus I think there is room to have non sith/jedi melee class with the Vanguard and Power tech.

The vanguard would get the Tech staff and the Tactics tree would add in more melee strikes into his repertoire. Ofcourse that spinning techblade move we see NPCs do would be one of his attacks as well and on his off hand if he wants to do his grenade launcher and ION storm attacks he has to use an offhand blaster much like an Agent uses a shiv on the offhand to do shiv attacks. I'd call it an Ion blaster for lack of a better term and when a vanguard wants to do his grenade attacks or Ion attacks he whips it out and does it while holding his blade in his other hand.

For the power tech since he doesn't need an off hand blaster to do his attacks, I'd put in an enhanced wrist launcher in his offhand that can be upgraded like any other off hand shield generator or such. And this allows the power tech to have a melee weapon as well, but not the exact same as the vanguard and I think it would fit a Powertech more to have a blade over a staff or hell you can reverse it so one gets one, and one gets the other.

But needless to say, I think there is room to have non force melee around.

What do you all think and feel free please to tweak my idea. And if you don't like it, please state why.

I think VG looks utterly stupid when you really LOOK at how they attack and then consider the weapon they are holding.

Holding a rifle, attacking with lightning bolts, mysterious farts of flame and the wrong end of the rifle.

However when posing about the place a rifle does look nice and tidy.

I often think commandos would look better with rifles and as attacks go it would be enormously logical and in theme with the *holding gun, firing gun* attacks they do.

I sortof agree, give Vanguards a Scatter Blaster or Shock Gun (lightning bolts make more sense then) and give the Powertech, erm... Advanced Propellant wrist launchers? idk. But, Rifle bunting and Stock striking is a real thing that does happen but not often, I would prefer a knife swipe or stab for Stockstrike but Operatives have knives kinda locked down...

Jedi Knights/Sith Warriors: Dual Wield Lightsabers

Jedi Consulars/Sith Inquisitors: Double Bladed Lightsabers

Troopers/Bounty Hunters: Assault Cannon

Smuggler/Agent: Sniper Rifle

Each class does have a signature weapon in at least 1 case. Not my fault that only the commando gets the shiny new weapon for troopers/bounty hunters. You dont see smugglers complaining they dont get any shiny new weapons.

Also, for those with disbelief in the multi-purpose capabilities of the trooper weapon, do me a favor, go play Republic Commando. After 2 missions (when you start getting the cool stuff) you won't have any issues believing a trooper can have an Arc Caster, A Grenade Launcher and an Assault Rifle all in 1. Though Stockstrike/Shockstrike could use a rework (but I dont mind, I like Stockstrike/Shockstrike).

Bounty Hunters are different though. Their armor already comes with all the gadgets built in, and their pistol is literally a sidearm - for use when everything else is unavailable, such as when the armor needs to cool down due to unleashing too much fire...

Even though I know smugglers get em already, I'd totally love to use a scattergun as a Vanguard. I feel like it'd make a little more sense. Bounty Hunters get a pass because their armor is a walking armory, but using a rifle in close range is kinda unwieldly.

Jedi Knights/Sith Warriors: Dual Wield Lightsabers

Jedi Consulars/Sith Inquisitors: Double Bladed Lightsabers

Troopers/Bounty Hunters: Assault Cannon

Smuggler/Agent: Sniper Rifle

Each class does have a signature weapon in at least 1 case. Not my fault that only the commando gets the shiny new weapon for troopers/bounty hunters. You dont see smugglers complaining they dont get any shiny new weapons.

Also, for those with disbelief in the multi-purpose capabilities of the trooper weapon, do me a favor, go play Republic Commando. After 2 missions (when you start getting the cool stuff) you won't have any issues believing a trooper can have an Arc Caster, A Grenade Launcher and an Assault Rifle all in 1. Though Stockstrike/Shockstrike could use a rework (but I dont mind, I like Stockstrike/Shockstrike).

Bounty Hunters are different though. Their armor already comes with all the gadgets built in, and their pistol is literally a sidearm - for use when everything else is unavailable, such as when the armor needs to cool down due to unleashing too much fire...

Actually you missed two for the Smuggler/Agent. Shiv and scatter gun. So they actually have 3. They just happen to be off hand. And personally far as the commando/vanguard go they IMHO screwed that up. why give the commando who needs to be fast on his/her feet and needs a weapon he can move around quickly so he can be a medic get the biggest damn gun in the game? Makes no sense to me.

This is definitely the case, I'm pretty sure every single attack we have besides rapid shots uses our left hand's gauntlet (or both) although I can't remember which hand is used for RP/FF, either way the pistol is definitely just a little side bonus. It's like if Iron man had a beretta.

Actually you missed two for the Smuggler/Agent. Shiv and scatter gun. So they actually have 3. They just happen to be off hand. And personally far as the commando/vanguard go they IMHO screwed that up. why give the commando who needs to be fast on his/her feet and needs a weapon he can move around quickly so he can be a medic get the biggest damn gun in the game? Makes no sense to me.

2 points here

1.) Yes Operativees and scoundrels use their offhands a lot thereby making them Iconic

2.) Commandos are supposed to be that "Heavy weapons person" that stands on the hill with the massive gun and mows down the entire enemy platoon. As for medics well ... :rak_02:

Though Stockstrike/Shockstrike could use a rework (but I dont mind, I like Stockstrike/Shockstrike).

I like the idea of a nice kick that gets electrically charged in plasmatech

I agree with people being upset about the blaster rifle.

The same barrel spouts high impact bolts, grenades, ion storms, harpoons, blaster fire and other things. This is not believable or possible to make a part on every gun model to show these attacks.

They wanted to make a cut paste storm trooper with abilities built to reflect all the ideas they came up with for bounty hunter.

Problem is the storm trooper can't do anything a bounty hunter can so you're left with this nonsensical vanguard class with a bunch of oddball looking skills funneled through very simple blaster skins. They did alright with since of the bulkier blaster models of the past but in the end it is not a unique class, just a strange one.

Unfortunately people are better off rolling bounty hunter if they want any sort of concurrency between their skills.

Even the new tactical surge the power tech uses where the arm opens like a star is very odd and doesn't work for me.