The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Yavin companion armor - Bioware just artificially extending game play?

Screaming_Ziva

For completing the Yavin Weekly - Spirit of Cooperation (Complete 8 Yavin Daily quests) you get 1 complete set of 192 companion bound legacy gear that is level 55. Same idea as the weapon/offhand from the Revan fight weekly or the She who Devours daily.

BEAUTIFUL!!!! Aww, Yavin, you are my favorite moon, now and forever, cause you are literally paved with riches and gear drops out of the sky!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wear the helmet, ride the bus.

The best thing about these armors is the fact that they're unmodifiable so you'll know which people need 192 geared companions to get through the open world content and can laugh at them.

Well, I guess if that's the sort of thing that makes you feel better about yourself, then sure... :D

Y4 dailes credit rewards are horrible..should have raised that poor 4k to 8-10k. it's more profitable just grinding slicing nodes

they have rasied the creds for the dailys on yavin 4 too..was getting 7-10k i believe allthou i aint done them since the day it went live on pts,i really werent paying attention to the creds thou so cant be sure about the amount but they were raised :)

just logged in to check..they now give 9720 credits

Edited by darrenwn
info

Wear the helmet, ride the bus.

The best thing about these armors is the fact that they're unmodifiable so you'll know which people need 192 geared companions to get through the open world content and can laugh at them.

I'm a bit confused as to why anyone who equips this gear should be laughed at. Why is using a free set of high-level gear bad? I don't "need" this gear, but it's probably better than what they're wearing now. Plus, since they're only used for open-world, I don't need super-optimized stats anyway.

Y4 dailes credit rewards are horrible..should have raised that poor 4k to 8-10k. it's more profitable just grinding slicing nodes

The bonus quests close that gap a bit, but you're right, they aren't as financially lucrative. However, each daily also rewards a whopping 4 Basics each. Right now there's nothing profitable to buy with Basics, but if and when there are (like Isotope 5 was), it'll translate to lots of profit. In the interim, if credits and credits alone are your goal, and you do not want any Basics, why not go to the old daily zones? They haven't gone anywhere and they're even faster with the new level cap.

I'm a bit confused as to why anyone who equips this gear should be laughed at. Why is using a free set of high-level gear bad? I don't "need" this gear, but it's probably better than what they're wearing now. Plus, since they're only used for open-world, I don't need super-optimized stats anyway.

It's not that it's bad for characters to use gear that they've actually earned. The problem is that there's no way that any self respecting person should think that this is gear is earned, or something that should be worn with anything other than a sense of shame and personal inadequacy.

They are taking what should be a challenge for players to get (192 rated gear) and giving it to companions, who can't participate in the content that is designed for players with 192 gear. I could see item level 172 gear, as that's what players get during the Rishi quests, and having multiple sets (for different companions) would be a good way to let players switch away from the primary (presumably best geared) companion for some variety without having to buy a whole new set of armor.

Furthermore, this is a large step back in the direction of the original gear model. I'll guess that some of the outfits might look good, but lots of people like customizing their companions looks. Making them choose between stats (assuming that stats were reasonable) looks is bad enough; making the stats better than the players' is worse.

The devs can measure how many people use these abominations, so a good way to tell the devs "this is too much" is not to use it. One way to get players not to use it is to make them aware of the issues (like I'm doing here). I don't know that I'd actually waste my time trying to give a player a Nelson laugh in game, but I know that I wouldn't be offended if people did a companion check and kicked people from groups based on a presumption of insufficient skill. TBH, I'd think it much more effective than a standard gear check (which for most people is wanting too much XP).

I'm a bit confused as to why anyone who equips this gear should be laughed at. Why is using a free set of high-level gear bad? I don't "need" this gear, but it's probably better than what they're wearing now.

This. Better gear = faster, that's always a plus for dailies and weeklies.

Currently the highest daily zone is very easy even with 178 gear (lowest anyone going to Yavin will have) and comp in 172 or lower. New daily zones will probably be introduced later, with mobs with higher hp and damage.

For example Oricon was a PITA to me in 156 gear with comp in cheap 148s. Not hard, just too time consuming to be fun.

It's not that it's bad for characters to use gear that they've actually earned. The problem is that there's no way that any self respecting person should think that this is gear is earned, or something that should be worn with anything other than a sense of shame and personal inadequacy.

They are taking what should be a challenge for players to get (192 rated gear) and giving it to companions, who can't participate in the content that is designed for players with 192 gear. I could see item level 172 gear, as that's what players get during the Rishi quests, and having multiple sets (for different companions) would be a good way to let players switch away from the primary (presumably best geared) companion for some variety without having to buy a whole new set of armor.

Furthermore, this is a large step back in the direction of the original gear model. I'll guess that some of the outfits might look good, but lots of people like customizing their companions looks. Making them choose between stats (assuming that stats were reasonable) looks is bad enough; making the stats better than the players' is worse.

The devs can measure how many people use these abominations, so a good way to tell the devs "this is too much" is not to use it. One way to get players not to use it is to make them aware of the issues (like I'm doing here). I don't know that I'd actually waste my time trying to give a player a Nelson laugh in game, but I know that I wouldn't be offended if people did a companion check and kicked people from groups based on a presumption of insufficient skill. TBH, I'd think it much more effective than a standard gear check (which for most people is wanting too much XP).

OK, so it really all comes down to gear-peen. Whatever. :rolleyes:

There are absolutely no issues here other than the silly notion that gear is some sort of status symbol or accomplishment.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Oh, noes, oh the shame of sending a Legacy set to the up and coming Alt instead of grinding it from scratch! However I am going to live with myself! :p And, OMG, I am planning to equip 4 companions that way, and the fifth is going to wear my 178 drops, so I can pick and chose which companion to take along for seeing stuff in the game I want to see

I am waiting for the soul-crashing consequences of these dishonorable choices... but I feel more like I've been set free to do what I wish and not worry about comm balances and gear shipping, and chances are, I will never have to see the Black Hole again!

Edited by DomiSotto

Oh, noes, oh the shame of sending a Legacy set to the up and coming Alt instead of grinding it from scratch! However I am going to live with myself!

Yeah I don't see how that is shameful... I mean you rightfully earned that gear, doesnt matter which character you were on, still the same person at the PC :)

Oh, noes, oh the shame of sending a Legacy set to the up and coming Alt instead of grinding it from scratch! However I am going to live with myself! :p And, OMG, I am planning to equip 4 companions that way, and the fifth is going to wear my 178 drops, so I can pick and chose which companion to take along for seeing stuff in the game I want to see

I am waiting for the soul-crashing consequences of these dishonorable choices... but I feel more like I've been set free to do what I wish and not worry about comm balances and gear shipping, and chances are, I will never have to see the Black Hole again!

If you read the rest of my post, I was quite clear that I wasn't for making people grind companion gear from scratch. I'm against static armor sets and giving companions *more powerful* gear than I can earn in the same place. Giving a companion 178 drops that your character could use, and having the choice to use the gear "as is" or just use the mods is not the same as getting 192s outside of the [ops] that drop them and that can't be used by your character.

First Bolstering Makeb, then the GSIsus bot, now this. Every time BW makes the game easier and people lap it up, that encourages them to make it even easier. And the easier they make it to get to end game, the easier people expect end game to be, and the less prepared they are for it.

There are a lot of ways that BW could address the issues of leveling speed and companion gearing, just tossing out companion-bound OP stuff is just the easiest (although, based on bugs with the MH/OH gear, not easy enough).

If you read the rest of my post, I was quite clear that I wasn't for making people grind companion gear from scratch. I'm against static armor sets and giving companions *more powerful* gear than I can earn in the same place. Giving a companion 178 drops that your character could use, and having the choice to use the gear "as is" or just use the mods is not the same as getting 192s outside of the [ops] that drop them and that can't be used by your character.

First Bolstering Makeb, then the GSIsus bot, now this. Every time BW makes the game easier and people lap it up, that encourages them to make it even easier. And the easier they make it to get to end game, the easier people expect end game to be, and the less prepared they are for it.

There are a lot of ways that BW could address the issues of leveling speed and companion gearing, just tossing out companion-bound OP stuff is just the easiest (although, based on bugs with the MH/OH gear, not easy enough).

sounds like you're looking for a challenge in the wrong places

I just wish the gear we got for the allies was moddable.

I'd rather pay the money to rip the innards out and put them in the outfits that I currently have my companions in, rather than have them be virtual clones of other players' companions.

Make the innards still bound to the companions only, so no shenanigans can happen.

I just wish the gear we got for the allies was moddable.

I'd rather pay the money to rip the innards out and put them in the outfits that I currently have my companions in, rather than have them be virtual clones of other players' companions.

Make the innards still bound to the companions only, so no shenanigans can happen.

Of course what they don't want is for people to start ripping the mods out and equipping them on their characters.

I am an eager consumer of all 3 features. (Shrug) I'd rather see the content than don't see the content.

Plus, yay! All the companions geared! No need to stick to one and only companion any more when you are tired of the soundset or want to try a different play-style.

I think we are all hoping for the appearance tab, and, hopefully, it will come in the companion variety as well!!!

Edited by DomiSotto

I can't even. Bioware adds an option to fully kit out each of your companions in 192 gear in +/- 7 weeks, depending on how much time you put in and how many companions you have, and you are complaining?

It took substantially longer to do this if you even TRIED to do this, prior to this point.

I can't even. Bioware adds an option to fully kit out each of your companions in 192 gear in +/- 7 weeks, depending on how much time you put in and how many companions you have, and you are complaining?

It took substantially longer to do this if you even TRIED to do this, prior to this point.

Yes. In fact, it will take most people substantially longer to gear *themselves* in 192 gear. Or, at least it should have, but that's a different discussion.

I don't want the game giving my companions better gear than I can wear, much less gear that I can give alts who can't even wear gear of that level for their companions. I like my character, and people's characters, not companions and other NPCs to be the stars of the show.

You can also get legacy gear for droid companions.

I knew that if I were to craft and augment all the 186 rating cybercraft purples for HK, a new 192 set/schematics would pop up somewhere soon. On the other hand, I will save a lot on not ripping the 180-purple mods from my old sets which I meant to send to my still dormant lvl 55 alts (and their companions). Now those companions will all be decked out in full 192-gear before ever touching the Rishi surface.;)

I am an eager consumer of all 3 features. (Shrug) I'd rather see the content than don't see the content.

Plus, yay! All the companions geared! No need to stick to one and only companion any more when you are tired of the soundset or want to try a different play-style.

If you just want to see the content, there's YouTube. To me, watching my companions do all the fighting for me is boring. And that already happened enough during the solo FPs (due to lag, I barely got to participate before the server-side companion with 192 MH and GSIsus destroyed the opposition).

And as I said, I don't have a problem with gear sets for companions, especially for ones you would otherwise not use because you can't justify grinding or buying an entire gear set just to try them out, and especially not for ones on which gear doesn't even show. I have a problem with it being so much higher level than what is needed to get it, and higher level than the rewards for the PC earning it. That is all.

And the whole reason it's static and not moddable is because it's higher than what the PC's are expected to have, and if it was moddable, players would just take it for themselves.

You say that like it's a good thing :(

A) It doesn't really matter whether the companions' gear is 174, 180 or 192, as even with 900+ presence my chars still kill almost anything on Rishi and Yavin before the companion even kicks in.

B) I've already got 5 chars to lvl 60. I really do not need to experience any "challenge" when getting the remaining 8 chars to join them.

I do agree with you on your two main points, though: It's ridiculous that the companions have an easy excess to better gear than the character does; and it's sad that the best gear for companions an average player can get will be uniform. I personally will use it for droids and beasts that do not change their look; the rest of my companions will still use their gear with 186 rating mods ripped from basic commendation gear.

Edited by Aletheos

Seeing U-tube, and experiencing the content on your own character are two different things. I want to be able to play through the game's stories. Companion's gear would certainly:

-help me with running the FPs overlevelled on my own sweet time.

-chose whichever companion I like to run with at any time (just run a weekly, and we are all set!) instead of committing to one and only companion I have the time and energy to gear up

I also enjoyed the fact that Rishi and Yavin were perfectly doable in the gear available at the time you stepped on Rishi/Yavin.

You are also forgetting that a Companion in a 192 gear is not at all equal to a player in a 192 gear. The companions have an inferior AI and curtailed set of abilities, compared to a player. My understanding is that the high rating of gear addresses the issue of 'Khem Val is made of paper!" and "Quinn is not much of a healer."

So, a companion geared in 192 is not the same as your character geared in 192.

Edited by DomiSotto