Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Boss bugs and resetting the phase

BuriDogshin

One of my raid groups was wiping on Underlurker last night, and after about 5 pulls the bugs (such as instant red crosses and the boss not returning to the tank) were constant, occurring every time for 5 pulls in a row, causing a wipe in less than 1.5 minutes each time.

For our last pull, on the theory that the game was not properly resetting the state of the boss at the end of each pull (a phenomena you see in many new boss fights, such as when adds persist into the next pull), we exited the instance, reset the phase, cleared all the trash, and pulled again. For that last pull, no bugs occurred.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, where the buggyness increases with each successive pull and resetting the phase seems to help fix things?

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that when bosses bug out, exiting and resetting phase returned them to a more consistent and less buggy phase. At least that has been my experience since the days of TfB / SnV. I don't recall any bugginess on bosses in EV / KP except ones like Soa that eventually were patched.

I also attribute that to the relatively simple boss mechanics of EV / KP versus the later OPS. All the later OPS have more intricate mechanics so I expect them to have more ways to break.

To your other point as the more pulls, the more buggy; no I haven't seen that. I've found that if one pull is buggy, depending on the fight it's guaranteed to be buggy the next or you have a 50% chance that it breaks. Like Coratanni, once it bugs and she doesn't transition, it sometimes works the next time. Other bosses, it's pretty much guaranteed to break the next pull. I can't think of one of the top of my head though.

I've never tried to reset, we usually just keep going until it works... It may bug out for a few pulls but all we need is it to work semi-well for one.. Cooldowns and good healers let you get past some of the buggyness.

Maybe if I see it again during the week i'll see if resetting does anything.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.