Commando weapon usage

Zelus_Renardii

What exactly is nerfed on a commando using a blaster rifle? [specificly a starforged modded rifle] and I mean stats for PVE and PVP, also I already know hail of bolts and charged bolts are not usable with the blaster rifle, so please don't repeat this.

Basicly, If you plan to do lot of damage... Don't wield anything but a BFG (or smaller Assault Cannon). If you wanna use a Rifle as a Commando, healer is your only choice... And you,re still gimping your DPS which can be fatal in PvP.

To expand upon what Marisi said, all ranged attacks have 3 things used to calculate damage:

Weapon Damage Multiplier

Bonus Power Multiplier

Base Damage

Base damage is determined by your level you last trained the skill. For level 60, it is 318.5 * Bonus Power Multiplier for pretty much all ranged attacks, and for tech attacks it averages out at that.

The bonus power multiplier is just how much damage is added for each point of power.

And finally, the Weapon Damage Multiplier is what is multiplied by your weapon damage.

Weapon damage is determined both by the weapon you are using, and the rating of the barrel in the weapon.

For example, a rating 186 barrel will cause a Blaster Rifle to deal 613-919 base damage, but with an assault cannon this is 20% higher - at 736-1103 damage.

And using High Impact Bolt as an example, this skill has a ~1.3 weapon multiplier (and in the only spec you use it, it gets a 40% damage boost).

So using a Blaster Rifle over an Assault Cannon for Gunnery (don't do this in assault spec, you need charged bolts) would result in losing ~290 damage on your High Impact Bolt when using a rating 186 barrel.

Edited by TACeMossie

Less damage on the abilities that you can use, and the inability to use some other abilities.

I know, I know "don't repeat this", but some of the utilities and skills learned as you level may play off of those abilities, so an inability to use those nerfs those other talents as well.

For example, if some talent lets ability X finish the cooldown on ability Y when used, but you can not use ability X because it requires an autocannon, then you never get access to those more frequent uses of ability Y.

A waste of that talent and the loss of a lot of DPS or possibly healing.

Edited by Mithros

I've seen other threads on this topic where people claim to have parsed only 5% to 10% behind an assault cannon user while using a blaster rifle, but that was pre-3.0. I'm not familiar enough with Merc/'Mando disciplines to know if that would still be the case.

However, I've resolved to level up a Trooper - it's one of the few stories I haven't done - and I just can't get on board with the assault cannon, so I'm strongly considering using a blaster rifle for solo leveling, and swapping to an AC for group/PVP stuff. If I was kitted out with purple mods from 10 to 50, how viable would that be?

I've seen other threads on this topic where people claim to have parsed only 5% to 10% behind an assault cannon user while using a blaster rifle, but that was pre-3.0. I'm not familiar enough with Merc/'Mando disciplines to know if that would still be the case.

However, I've resolved to level up a Trooper - it's one of the few stories I haven't done - and I just can't get on board with the assault cannon, so I'm strongly considering using a blaster rifle for solo leveling, and swapping to an AC for group/PVP stuff. If I was kitted out with purple mods from 10 to 50, how viable would that be?

Considering you could do the story as a Trooper without any AC??? It's viable

I don't mando heal, but it would seem to me that heals would be nerfed as well... Is this not correct?

No.

Blaster Rifles and Assault Cannon have the same Tech Power.

Healing and about half commandos damage abilities are Tech. The weapon damage values do not get involved in that damage calculation or in healing.