Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ability delay and the wearing thin of patience

Grayseven

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know who spends 2 weeks with their family over the holidays? Kids. Who the hell else spends 2+ weeks with their family?!

Not entirely correct.

I had two weeks of vacation from my job which I took for Christmas and New Years and since I also didn't have classes in college those two weeks I was able to spend them with my family and friends.

I also know other individuals that spent two weeks with their family and friends as well.

First off, Happy New Years everyone! I apologize if you feel a lack of communication around this issue. Unfortunately, I haven't provided much since I do not have a status update as of yet.

Here is what I can tell you. We definitely have not forgotten about this and the team is still assessing what the cause is, and how we can begin to address it. What I am going to do is to work with the team to get a status update with as much detail as I can, by next Friday (although hopefully before then!).

Thank you again for your continued patience. We know that dealing with these issues isn't the best experience and we will get them addressed as soon as we can!

-eric

the cause? my moneys on your crappy coding and garbage servers....

Yes it has been frustrating the lack of communication. The continuing prevalence of ability delay, lag and exploits after one month since the expansion came out is annoying. They should have resolved these issues much sooner except they all went on holidays.. If they hadn't had holidays most of these issues would've been fixed by now (at least one would hope).

Lesson for Bioware: NEVER release an expansion near the Xmas holidays AGAIN. Unless you guys aren't going to take holidays...

To everybody raging at Eric's response - go see what Blizzard people were telling their players (pretty sure somebody posted links in this very thread). Basically the same thing, only they did it numerous times per day in the same topic.

Yes it has been frustrating the lack of communication. The continuing prevalence of ability delay, lag and exploits after one month since the expansion came out is annoying. They should have resolved these issues much sooner except they all went on holidays.. If they hadn't had holidays most of these issues would've been fixed by now (at least one would hope).

Lesson for Bioware: NEVER release an expansion near the Xmas holidays AGAIN. Unless you guys aren't going to take holidays...

eh then these same people would be complaining about lack of new content over the holidays and saying bioware missed their golden chance to put something out

To everybody raging at Eric's response - go see what Blizzard people were telling their players (pretty sure somebody posted links in this very thread). Basically the same thing, only they did it numerous times per day in the same topic.

did it take them a month to fix huge issues? when the new wow expac went live the servers failed for a day or 2 and they gave there subs free game time and fixed that sh*t quick, who cares what they said on the forums they were clearly taking care of stuff, and warcraft has almost daily hotfixes going in, with a weekly patch to boot

While I understand how difficult it can be to identify problems such as these in a MMO, having it impact performance since the pre release of the expansion is more than a bit disappointing.

I have avoided playing my higher level characters since the expansion's release simply because my enjoyment for upper level gameplay is just not their while the ability delay is still a factor.

My current 3 month sub is up on the 5th, with the ability delay issue I feel like I have really not gotten my monies worth as a customer so I will return once the issue is fixed.

I do really enjoy the game overall and hopefully these issues can be permanently fixed in the near future.

Don't know about you guys, but over Xmas I had the 3 public holidays in the UK off along with a regularly scheduled rest day. Just 4 extra days out of the last month in which, barring weekends obviously, I wasn't in work. So where the hell were the devs? Money fights on a Caribbean beach? Tequila body shots in Koh Samui?

Don't know about you guys, but over Xmas I had the 3 public holidays in the UK off along with a regularly scheduled rest day. Just 4 extra days out of the last month in which, barring weekends obviously, I wasn't in work. So where the hell were the devs? Money fights on a Caribbean beach? Tequila body shots in Koh Samui?

There is the mysterious and arcane thing known as vacation that working people reportedly take around holidays.

After reading forums about bugs and about issues geting really fixed i quickly understood whats the problem in this game. It is patching cycles and hotfix release management/deployment. I work in software creation industry and to me it is unheard that if new release has big issues there are 2 options. Rollback or hotfix. In game industry rollback is pretty much out of question and i think it has been done very rarely in mmo's in general.

What should have been done is get a team together and investigate problem and deploy hotfix. Often i see Bioware releases hotfixes in weekly maintenance update cycles. Thats not a way to address critical issues. So i think what Bioware sees as critial issue is not ability delay or world lag delay but if you cant login to server or access your cahrs maybe as critical.

It is a definition what a development team addresses as critical bug and normal bug. 4 weeks is not an critical hotfix but rather normal fix when its done. Unless Bioware team is really not competent to find solution fast.

did it take them a month to fix huge issues? when the new wow expac went live the servers failed for a day or 2 and they gave there subs free game time and fixed that sh*t quick, who cares what they said on the forums they were clearly taking care of stuff, and warcraft has almost daily hotfixes going in, with a weekly patch to boot

You're talking about 2 different games with 2 totally different companies... Blizzard cares about their sub totals... Swtor is not a priority for EA...

Huge issues? What huge issues? The game is perfectly playable for most people.

Huge issue is server crashing (IIRC, one of the US hamster farms died during holidays and was also fixed quickly).

Also, WoW does not have daily hotfixes or weekly patches, at least from officially available sources (official site and probably the best run wiki on the Internet, wowwiki.com).

After last dragon age: inquisition patch, hotfix was also needed. Do we always need hotfix for their patches?

If you ever came close to software development, you would realize that it is pretty common.

You create something, test is for being idiot proof, and along comes even larger idiot to prove you wrong...

If you ever came close to software development, you would realize that it is pretty common.

You create something, test is for being idiot proof, and along comes even larger idiot to prove you wrong...

I havet came close to software development because I work in other industry. And I dont quite understand what are You trying to say with that "idiot" sentence. Explain.

Huge issues? What huge issues? The game is perfectly playable for most people.

Most people play during the day on a well populated server.

The game is unplayable as soon as the population rises to heavy or high-standard, at least for any class with AOEs or channeled abilities, let alone channeled AOEs. There is no point playing a game where activating an ability takes 2 seconds, in the best case half of your damage ticks do nothing, and in the worst case you do no damage at all, the NPCs do nothing for 10s and then you die because you took 10 seconds worth of enemy fire at once.

Moving to a new instance as soon as it opens helps a bit but the best way to play the game is playing at night.

Edited by Mubrak

I havet came close to software development because I work in other industry. And I dont quite understand what are You trying to say with that "idiot" sentence. Explain.

It was not an insult.

It may got lost in translation, but there is a proverb that says something like "when you make something idiot proof, along comes even greater idiot". It means that no matter how much testing you do, someone will still find a way to break it.

Anyhow, the point was, that hotfixes for patches are pretty normal thing in software development

Most people play during the day on a well populated server.

The game is unplayable as soon as the population rises to heavy or high-standard, at least for any class with AOEs or channeled abilities, let alone channeled AOEs. There is no point playing a game where activating an ability takes 2 seconds, in the best case half of your damage ticks do nothing, and in the worst case you do no damage at all, the NPCs do nothing for 10s and then you die because you took 10 seconds worth of enemy fire at once.

Moving to a new instance as soon as it opens helps a bit but the best way to play the game is playing at night.

Actually, most people play during late afternoon or evening (unless holidays), according to server population measurements at torstatus.net.

And I guess I do not notice it, as EU English servers do not reach "heavy" most of the time. The only problem I have been having started when BW let everybody play with strongholds, my Server Lag indicator has been dropping to red for no apparent reason.

Edited by Aries_cz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.